Middle School Playcalling

Yeah, it's a shame because our defense is playing well.

Disagree - in our last 5 game (1-4) we gave up an average of just over 28 pts per game. That would put us in the mid 80's in D1 points per game rankings.

I like the hustle. I like the players competitiveness. But the scheme has lots of holes in it.

Year zero? Looked like week zero of fall camp on offense. MN State could go be them a better game.

The biggest difference this year was qb. Croft is brutal (the receivers aren't helping either) and they have to strip down the playbook so much for him that what you saw is about all he can apparently handle. I think if Mitch is QB we win 2 more games this year. I'm not ready to throw Kirk under the bus yet.

Leidner would be brutal with this OL. What are you supposed to do when there is pressure on every single pass and finding a receiver is your second responsibility?

Croft isn't great but it's hard to judge him when he rarely gets time to sit in the pocket. He's had very few chances to prove himself today. We effectively couldn't pass today because we couldn't even get enough time for receivers to get the chance to get open.

Disagree - in our last 5 game (1-4) we gave up an average of just over 28 pts per game. That would put us in the mid 80's in D1 points per game rankings.

I like the hustle. I like the players competitiveness. But the scheme has lots of holes in it.

It's called sarcasm- sheesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest difference this year was qb. Croft is brutal (the receivers aren't helping either) and they have to strip down the playbook so much for him that what you saw is about all he can apparently handle. I think if Mitch is QB we win 2 more games this year. I'm not ready to throw Kirk under the bus yet.

Bingo. The playbook is so limited because they don't (can't) trust Croft at all. He lacks the vision and arm strength to make any aggressive downfield throws, or get the ball into anything less than an ocean wide window. Low risk comeback sideline routes/outs that he can just float out there, that's all he's capable of.

It's compounded by the fact that our OL is very bad. It's also compounded by the fact that our WR's are D-2 level. Watch any other D-1 college football game and pay attention to the WR's. Our's look like their running in cement shoes by comparison.

You realize the offense didn’t score in two of those games?

I think sometimes a second post -action review of the games is helpful. Lots of problems at every position group with no simple answers. Personnel and scheme issues. Have to believe things will improve over this atrocity.

If 10 seconds is enough time, maybe.

He took one bad sack. Another one he had three guys in the backfield before he completed his drop, including a total whiff by McCrary. At least three drops including bouncing it off a guys helmet. Can't make it up. If some can defend every Fleck misstep I guess some of us can defend Croft's mistakes.

He's not been great but given the protection and receiver issues it seems a bit harsh.

Croft throws the ball well when given the time.

Now this I can agree with. He does throw the ball really well. He doesn’t know when, he doesn’t know where to, and he may not know where it’s going, but it’s a good looking ball

I was hoping today that on those third and longs (there were many) that Croft would throw the ball deep and maybe get a PI or maybe even a reception. Worst case a long int.

Ya'll so down on Croft by default. Rhoda was 0-2 in his winnable B1G games. Croft was 2-0 and played all top-25 teams outside that. Rhoda was no more than equal to this year's Croft. Therefore, it's smarter to give the sophomore experience (even if you think Rhoda has a slight edge, still smarter to play your future when you're flippin head coach declared it a rebuilding year).

Remember the first game of the year when the offense struggled against Buffalo and Fleck tried to spin it that they didn't show anything and just did enough to win?
Nah, that wasn't another crock of crap from Fibber Fleck.

Croft is neither the primary problem nor a plausible solution.

He has some talent, but he's just not a natural football player.

We need to sign somebody that can compete for the job on day one.

Leidner would be brutal with this OL. What are you supposed to do when there is pressure on every single pass and finding a receiver is your second responsibility?

Croft isn't great but it's hard to judge him when he rarely gets time to sit in the pocket. He's had very few chances to prove himself today. We effectively couldn't pass today because we couldn't even get enough time for receivers to get the chance to get open.

This line has pass blocked pretty good a vast majority of the year, so this statement just is not true.

Top Bottom