***OFFICIAL ALABAMA VS MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I don't even see the asterisk. W is a W.

Refs did an awful job

Pitino didn't really know what to do in that situation, took too much pity on them. Minnesota looked great up until **** hit the fan. At least they got the W. Need to regroup. Toughest non-conference game coming up and 2 B1G games on the docket in the next couple weeks

We led almost the entire game by double digits. To take that away because we didn't act like jerks and press 5 on 3 is silly. Yes this win will have an asterisk and that's too bad. But we also shouldn't be on the bubble so it doesn't matter.

Exactly.

Who cares what the “optics” are. It wasn’t on TV. People will see the highlights of Sexton’s cute little run that came up short, and move on, knowing that the Gophers won in the end. Move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened, didnt see tge game except monitoring on espn app.

Why was it 5v3?
Brawl?
Can someone lay this out...
thanks

Good lord people... try to forget that football team played like crap today.

The gophers played a very good game today before the strangeness kicked in. The Gophers never ever prepared for 3 on 5.

Anyone actually thinking about the game in a logical manner could see that the Gophers could have won by 30 if they would have ran and dominated in the full court offense. Coach could have done a little better job but I think it is fair to say he wasn't trying to show up Alabama by running.

We are undefeated and going to be ranked just outside the top 10 going into Wednesday. Amazing how negative some of you are on here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As far as Sexton is concerned he was hyper focused in five on three ball versus uninspired competition.

His play before that, including Mason getting to him will actually be a detriment in the eyes of Pro scouts. They won't be fooled.

He really has to work on his mental toughness. He would drown in the NBA.

Feels like a loss...don't deserve to move up in rankings. Mason needs to be benched for start of next game, senior leader??!

Good lord. Calm down. He got into it with a cocky freshman. Shouldn't have happened. But the "goodwill gone" "we shouldn't move up in rankings" "bench Mason" "terrible coaching. We deserved to lose" hot takes are totally ridiculous.

I’ve been in a bunch of games being down and up a player - the team with the advantage always lets up - it’s not coaching, it’s psychological and there’s not much you can do about it unless your an ass and get physical with the player short team ( which would make you look really bad) they looked great when the game counted against a good team n the road

Good lord people... try to forget that football team played like crap today.

The gophers played a very good game today before the strangeness kicked in. The Gophers never ever prepared for 3 on 5.

Anyone actually thinking about the game in a logical manner could see that the Gophers could have won by 30 if they would have ran and dominated in the full court offense. Coach could have done a little better job but I think it is fair to say he wasn't trying to show up Alabama by running.

We are undefeated and going to be ranked just outside the top 10 going into Wednesday. Amazing how negative some of you are on here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep!

Why was it 5v3?
Brawl?
thanks

In control by double digits the entire way.
With about 13:00 left, Mason and AL dude get double Ts for talking smack.
Mason gets another one.
Pitino gets one for arguing about them.
AL dude makes 3 of 4 free throws.
Then they make a quick 3... 13 point lead down to 6 or 7. ****.
Then scuffle under basket... players tangled up. AL bench clears.
All AL bench players ejected.
Then AL player fouls out.
Then AL player gets injured.
11-point lead with like 9:00 to play. 5 on 3.

There 3 play lights out like it's the NBA Championship. Hitting everything.
They settle into a 1-2 zone where everyone is in paint.
We take up most of the clock on every possession and settle for a 3 or mid-range jumper. Minimal success.

They "come back"... on the back of some dumb blocking and reach in fouls on us.

Final score looks close.

Gopherhole loses its collective ****.

I’ve been in a bunch of games being down and up a player - the team with the advantage always lets up - it’s not coaching, it’s psychological and there’s not much you can do about it unless your an ass and get physical with the player short team ( which would make you look really bad) they looked great when the game counted against a good team n the road

And this too.

Wow, some people, EG #9, need to calm down. Who cares the point spread when you're playing top 25 v top 25.

The point spread? At one point they were outscored 20-9 ! over a 6 minute stretch of a major college basketball game playing 5-3! They let Alabama get within 1 score with 1:39 to play. They were not playing top 25 vs top 25, they were playing 5 on 3. 5 guys from a middle of the road MAC program should be able to build a lead under that scenario against Duke. Absolutely ZERO excuse for what went on in that game down the stretch. Pathetic isn't a strong enough word to describe both the play on the floor and the coaching from the bench. Lets hope it means nothing in the grand scheme of things (very good chance) and move on, but wow did they find a way to leave everyone (well almost everyone apparently) with a horrible taste in their mouths.

Why was it 5v3?
Brawl?
thanks

Refs sucked.

One of there players locked up McBrayers head in the low post (just after 3 technicals on Gophs). McBrayer had to pull his head out violently. Alabama bench took it as a sign of fighting and stormed the court. Everyone ejected.

Then dude with 4 fouls gets his fith 30 seconds later. Another minute goes by and another dude for Alabama gets injured.

Gophers really didnt try hard after that. like when you do running clock in football.

I am furious right now. WHAT THE F WAS THAT PITINO? You have a 5-3 advantage and get outscored? Why was Lynch not playing in the game? Why did you allow the team to #%@ around on offense and lazily pass the ball around the perimeter until someone randomly decides to put up a half hearted jumper? STEP ON THEIR THROATS...and then do the classy thing and drain the clock. I didn't think there was any chance that I could be more embarrassed by Gopher Basketball than Gopher Football today, but they came awfully close to letting the literally impossible happen.

Of course the narrative of this game completely changes from a national perspective now. This should have been viewed as a blowout that was made to look close for a brief moment in time due to the 3 Minnesota technicals (inexcusable by Mason to pick up the 2nd btw), but instead it will be viewed as a lucky Minnesota win due to the absolutely inept performance by the players and the coaching staff once Alabama was down to 4, then 3 players.

Very disappointed in what I saw from this program in all areas after halftime. There is simply no excuse.
I agree and I am also pissed off. I couldn't watch the game so someone please, please, PLEASE tell me that the Gophers were trying to be "nice" and not embarrass them once it became 5-3. Because it is truly pathetic to win this game only by 5 when the Gophers led by double digits the whole time it was 5 on 5. Makes us look very overrated. And has me somewhat concerned about the basketball IQ of this team. I need some clarity here.

All I care about is that we won. Once their entire bench got ejected, anything resembling normalcy was destroyed. Bring on Miami!

Why was it 5v3?
Brawl?
thanks

Mason showed up cocky freshman. Cocky freshman and Mason got into it. Both get T's. Mason gets a second T and ejected. Pitino gets a T. Bama tries to tackle McBreyer on a rebound a minute later. A scuffle ensues. Bama's entire bench comes on the court. Their entire bench is ejected. They now have 5 guys. One fouls out. One gets hurt.

We don't press and generally just stall on offense and shoot 3's. Bama mounts a 5-on-3 comeback. Gophers still win. Gopherhole freaks out with negative takes.

All I care about is that we won. Once their entire bench got ejected, anything resembling normalcy was destroyed. Bring on Miami!

Agreed. Let's just move on from this disastrous Barclay's event.

We led almost the entire game by double digits. To take that away because we didn't act like jerks and press 5 on 3 is silly. Yes this win will have an asterisk and that's too bad. But we also shouldn't be on the bubble so it doesn't matter.

+1.

Anyone figure out why there were ZERO free throws taken after the ejections?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is there a more irrational fan base in the country? Whether it’s this board or the football board it is really something else.

The point spread? At one point they were outscored 20-9 ! over a 6 minute stretch of a major college basketball game playing 5-3! They let Alabama get within 1 score with 1:39 to play. They were not playing top 25 vs top 25, they were playing 5 on 3. 5 guys from a middle of the road MAC program should be able to build a lead under that scenario against Duke. Absolutely ZERO excuse for what went on in that game down the stretch. Pathetic isn't a strong enough word to describe both the play on the floor and the coaching from the bench. Lets hope it means nothing in the grand scheme of things (very good chance) and move on, but wow did they find a way to leave everyone (well almost everyone apparently) with a horrible taste in their mouths.
Ref's failed to manage the game and emotions, and you're failing as well.

I agree and I am also pissed off. I couldn't watch the game so someone please, please, PLEASE tell me that the Gophers were trying to be "nice" and not embarrass them once it became 5-3. Because it is truly pathetic to win this game only by 5 when the Gophers led by double digits the whole time it was 5 on 5. Makes us look very overrated. And has me somewhat concerned about the basketball IQ of this team. I need some clarity here.

Go back and re-read this thread or watch the game. People have different takes. I'm of the mindset that you pound them into mercy; others think Pitino did the right thing by not doing so. Regardless, the end result was that the 3 Alabama had left in the game couldn't miss a shot, and outplayed a Gopher team that began playing very lackadaisical, and then tight/scared as they realized Alabama's 3 still had a chance to win.

You're right! Pitino will be totally un-prepared the next time he has a 5-on-3!

It was a totally unplanned situation. If we press and win by 30 we look like arrogant jerks. If we stall and just try to run the clock out, they can come back. We chose the later. It wasn't pretty. But it's a situation that will never happen again and has zero bearing on the rest of the season. Chill out.

A moment in History is what we just saw. Glad it was on facebook so we could see it. This game will be talked about for years. The game was over before the refs decided to get involved with the technical fouls.

Then the scale tipped to Alabama when Mason was ejected.
Then the bench clearing tipped the scale back to Minnesota.
Then the foul out tipped the scale even further to MN.
Then an Alabama ankle injury tipped it even further.
Then Pitino not knowing how to coach allowed them to make it an amazing performance for a 5 star player who put up 40 and cut it to 3 pts.

In the end Gophers win!!
Amazing basketball event!

Anyone figure out why there were ZERO free throws taken after the ejections?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The bench T's don't count I guess. But the guy tackling McBreyer and in the scuffle certainly should have gotten one.

Top Bottom