***OFFICIAL ALABAMA VS MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I didnt think anything could be stranger than this game, but then I came here.

I don't think it's irrational to criticize how we played 5 on 3. I think it's rational to look at the big picture on how the game played out 5v5. These aren't either/or propositions.

A win is a win is a win. Don't worry about what everyone else was talking about the selection committee will only see that we beat alabama.

Agree 100 percent. Who cares we were outscored 5 on 3. I'm pretty sure we are going into the Miami game undefeated. We now have 2 quality wins! Main thing was we won. I'm not gonna bash pitino for getting outscored 5 on 3. That will have no bearing on next game or rest of season. Will it make everyone happy if pitino works on the 5 on 3 in practice to make sure it never happens again? Lol

Go back and re-read this thread or watch the game.
To be honest, I have an annoying cold right now and also could not get the online video to work for me no matter what I tried. "Not available at this time." Or nothing would load. Just a black screen. So I was already on edge. Computer technical difficulties really light my fuse. ;)

I agree with that you, narrative with this program changed today. Goodwill from good start is gone

Yeah, I'm sure I won't be loving it when we move into the Top 10 Monday.

I'm sure I won't be loving it when we play a Top 10 matchup at a packed Williams Arena on Wednesday against Miami.

Definitely won't be enjoying any of that. Nope.

A serious number of babies in our fan base. Did you see or hear Pitino after the game? He said he didn't give them any plays for 5-on-3, so that's on him. He also said we dominated for 30 minutes and played terrific. After that fiasco, he just wanted to get off the court.

Couldn't be happier to be 7-0!

If the committee has any common sense, the post melee part of this game won't be taken under consideration for any seeding, tourney qualification, etc. These type of games matter when looking at difference between 1, 2 or 3 seeds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree and I am also pissed off. I couldn't watch the game so someone please, please, PLEASE tell me that the Gophers were trying to be "nice" and not embarrass them once it became 5-3. Because it is truly pathetic to win this game only by 5 when the Gophers led by double digits the whole time it was 5 on 5. Makes us look very overrated. And has me somewhat concerned about the basketball IQ of this team. I need some clarity here.

Yes, they were trying to be nice. They passed the ball around the perimeter and drained the shot clock before attempting a jumper. They made no effort to get the ball to Murphy and little effort to chase down rebounds. Defensively, I don't know what the plan was and why they didn't just keep Reggie Lynch in to patrol the paint. The "niceness" should either have come after the Gophers got up by 20 (preferred strategy) or stopped as soon as Coach Pitino saw the lead shrink even a little bit. Instead, it was just a debacle and Alabama made a game of it. I don't buy the "not used to 5-3"narrative either as Alabama certainly wasn't used to playing 3-5 either.

The point spread? At one point they were outscored 20-9 ! over a 6 minute stretch of a major college basketball game playing 5-3! They let Alabama get within 1 score with 1:39 to play. They were not playing top 25 vs top 25, they were playing 5 on 3. 5 guys from a middle of the road MAC program should be able to build a lead under that scenario against Duke. Absolutely ZERO excuse for what went on in that game down the stretch. Pathetic isn't a strong enough word to describe both the play on the floor and the coaching from the bench. Lets hope it means nothing in the grand scheme of things (very good chance) and move on, but wow did they find a way to leave everyone (well almost everyone apparently) with a horrible taste in their mouths.

The bolded is all that matters. You're losing your $%6 over something that has never happened in the history of modern college basketball and will likely never happen again. During the part of the game that was played like a normal game, we dominated #25 in the country. That's all I care about. Calm down.

If the committee has any common sense, the post melee part of this game won't be taken under consideration for any seeding, tourney qualification, etc. These type of games matter when looking at difference between 1, 2 or 3 seeds.

Only if Bama remains a top 25-ish team, which frankly I don't see.

I'm sure I won't be loving it when we play a Top 10 matchup at a packed Williams Arena on Wednesday against Miami.

A serious number of babies in our fan base. Did you see or hear Pitino after the game? He said he didn't give them any plays for 5-on-3, so that's on him. He also said we dominated for 30 minutes and played terrific. After that fiasco, he just wanted to get off the court.

Yeah I mean are we supposed to feel bad about this win because every guy on the bench from Alabama got ejected. Come on!

Yeah, but Mason got cocky for a minute. Minnesotans don't like that! Season ruined.

Do people on here believe that if things were reversed, Bama would take pity on the Gophers and let them hang around for most of a half and eek out a win or would they take full advantage of the situation and leave no doubt about the outcome. My guess they would run up the score big time. It's called competing and the Gophers did not compete for the last 15 or so minutes of the game. I'd be really surprised if this team makes it past the second round of the tournament with the mindset they displayed today.

Yeah I mean are we supposed to feel bad about this win because every guy on the bench from Alabama got ejected. Come on!

The Minnesotan thing to do would be to forfeit the win tomorrow.

The bolded is all that matters. You're losing your $%6 over something that has never happened in the history of modern college basketball and will likely never happen again. During the part of the game that was played like a normal game, we dominated #25 in the country. That's all I care about. Calm down.

That's great that that's all you care about. I watched a teams Sr. point guard lose his cool in a game his team had under control, watch his coach call a timeout to prevent him from getting tossed, then see that Sr. point guard manage to still not stop and find himself tossed from the game. Then I saw a team with an unheard of 5 on 3 advantage (agree that we will likely never see this again in a Gopher game, probably not any game) not be able to hold a 14 point lead. There were mental errors when it came to fouls, there was poor shot selection, there was obviously questionable effort, and there was no adjustment made from the bench. It's totally ok that you don't care about it and I can see your perspective, we will just have to agree to disagree on this. We do agree on the fact that they were in complete control of a game over the #25 team in the country before any of the bizarre stuff happened.

Do people on here believe that if things were reversed, Bama would take pity on the Gophers and let them hang around for most of a half and eek out a win or would they take full advantage of the situation and leave no doubt about the outcome. My guess they would run up the score big time. It's called competing and the Gophers did not compete for the last 15 or so minutes of the game. I'd be really surprised if this team makes it past the second round of the tournament with the mindset they displayed today.

go back to the football side dude. they were playing with great heart and competing before the 5 on 3 and actually it's part of the reason it became 5 vs 3! And while we were competing 5 v 5 we were destroying them.

That's great that that's all you care about. I watched a teams Sr. point guard lose his cool in a game his team had under control, watch his coach call a timeout to prevent him from getting tossed, then see that Sr. point guard manage to still not stop and find himself tossed from the game. Then I saw a team with an unheard of 5 on 3 advantage (agree that we will likely never see this again in a Gopher game, probably not any game) not be able to hold a 14 point lead. There were mental errors when it came to fouls, there was poor shot selection, there was obviously questionable effort, and there was no adjustment made from the bench. It's totally ok that you don't care about it and I can see your perspective, we will just have to agree to disagree on this. We do agree on the fact that they were in complete control of a game over the #25 team in the country before any of the bizarre stuff happened.
Seriously, your ratio of insightful analysis to general whining is tipping precariously toward whining.

Only if Bama remains a top 25-ish team, which frankly I don't see.
Unfortunately I agree with you. If Petty is out for any length of time then that spells real trouble. The bigs for Bama are horrible and there aren't very many legit scoring options after Petty and Sexton. Sexton now has additional fuel to become more of the ball stopper that he already is. Situation reminds me a bit of Dennis Smith and NC State last year.

go back to the football side dude. they were playing with great heart and competing before the 5 on 3 and actually it's part of the reason it became 5 vs 3! And while we were competing 5 v 5 we were destroying them.

So you're happy with thisw team exiting in the second round of the tournament. Duly noted!!

Man, I can't wait for Wednesday to get here so Gopher fans can get back to either complaining about a loss, or celebrating a win. Me, I'll celebrate this win.

Here is ESPN's write-up (through Myron):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-game-3-players-entire-bench-ejected-scuffle

Notably, the link on the main page says "Bama hoops forced to play with 3, falls by just 5" . So there's that.

Which is my point. I like the win, my perception of the team has continued to improve, and it was high to begin with. The optics bother me. A fair point I've heard is that how much will the optics matter come tournament selection time - potentially not much, but it's there.

I'll also say I think the optics are a greater positive for Alabama than a negative for the Gophers.

So you're happy with thisw team exiting in the second round of the tournament. Duly noted!!

I'm saying that the way they played today for the first 30 minutes they will make the sweet 16 and then it comes down to match-ups. you're drunk to think otherwise.

It's almost like everyone on here wishes we played rest of game 5 on 5 and lost. Chalk it up as a win against a team with an unbelievable player. Bizarre game the way it had to finish but I'm happy as he'll we are undefeated and Miami coming to the barn! Should be awesome!

Which is my point. I like the win, my perception of the team has continued to improve, and it was high to begin with. The optics bother me. A fair point I've heard is that how much will the optics matter come tournament selection time - potentially not much, but it's there.

I'll also say I think the optics are a greater positive for Alabama than a negative for the Gophers.

If this had been a game against Duke or Michigan State, I'd be more upset about the shenanigans "ruining" it. But this isn't even our best win to date. The Providence win will look more impressive than this and obviously so will Miami if we can win that.

This guy gets it.

We don't have a killer instinct, and we get timid and lose focus. We will not advance to the Sweet 16.

Top Bottom