Mason took a pretty strong shot at PJ on Barreiro's show this week

Leading into the comment, he was talking about Barry Alvarez as AD.

The guy in the corner office.
When speaking about (I understood it as AD's administrators who hire coaches).

I understood it to mean we have a lot of people with their fingers in the football program who don't know what they don't know.

Not as a shot at Fleck, but probably about the numerous 12-person committees that always need to be involved with every sports hire.

Start at the 75 minute mark to get the context.

I didn’t think Mason was referring to Fleck but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I took it more as a shot at the administration, which Mason has been doing forever.

Yeah I took it more as a shot at the administration, which Mason has been doing forever.

My understanding is that part of the problem at the U is that they have way too many people on staff earning decent salaries.
Being a public institution, it's very hard to eliminate these people.
Then when something as high profile as a athletics department hire is made, you get more than a fair share of people pushing influence from their measly little, over-paid, positions to try and throw their influence and validate their jobs. Knowing no one has the direct ability to just fire these people, they need to tolerate them and somehow politically maneuver around these people without insulting them and causing larger issues.

It's essentially the same as dealing with a bad employee while you spend 6 months building a case against the employee because you are afraid of unfair firing practices if not everything is done by the books. So you spend 6 months tip toeing around their inability to be a functional contributor, while you slowly remove their responsibilities, hopefully without them even knowing you are doing so, in preparation for their firing.

However, at the U, they never get to the point of firing them, so it goes on into perpetuity.

I heard the interview and there was no way this was a shot at Fleck. Definitely a shot at Administrations Past.

It was a shot. But not at Fleck.
It was sort of a shot at everyone surrounding the program (administration, board, fans, etc.)
The whole context of what he was saying was that the concept of the extension was spot-on.

Yeah, not a shot at Fleck.

Mason seems to like Fleck. He wants the program to succeed (I believe) and Fleck can be the guy. Mason is a great interview, btw.

I don't know Mase. My opinion is hiring a firm to form a committee that makes recommendations on important decisions shows strong leadership. But what do I know?

Fleck, Coyle, and Kaler are certainly not above criticism, but Mason is truly the chef who only likes the taste of his own cooking. A decade gone from coaching and there is still the undercurrent of “everything would be better had I been left in the job” embedded in much of what he says about the Gophers minus any sense of self awareness regarding why he isn’t.

It was a shot. But not at Fleck.
It was sort of a shot at everyone surrounding the program (administration, board, fans, etc.)
The whole context of what he was saying was that the concept of the extension was spot-on.

Do you blame him? The AD was a mess. Played in the dome. Media hates his guts yet he still got the stadium built. Granted he still likes taking shots at the admin but the guy did well for what was given although couldn't develop defense to save his life.

My understanding is that part of the problem at the U is that they have way too many people on staff earning decent salaries.
Being a public institution, it's very hard to eliminate these people.
Then when something as high profile as a athletics department hire is made, you get more than a fair share of people pushing influence from their measly little, over-paid, positions to try and throw their influence and validate their jobs.

Ugh. This is by far the worst thing about modern day, large organizations.

Everyone not only tries to justify their worth to the organization, but wants to exert influence over it. It really is toxic.

Not just the U, but any part of government and large businesses too. It's crippling, at times.

Mason has been using that line for years talking about the MN athletic department

Mason has been using that line for years talking about the MN athletic department

Oh has he really? I didn't realize that, but based on all the responses that definitely appears to be the case. I guess I was reading too much into it, when it's really just one of his longstanding go-to lines about the U.

I love his weekly appearances on the radio. He doesn't hold back, has a lot of great stories and is very insightful.

Do you blame him? The AD was a mess. Played in the dome. Media hates his guts yet he still got the stadium built. Granted he still likes taking shots at the admin but the guy did well for what was given although couldn't develop defense to save his life.

Media hates his guts? He is the media. Big 10 Network employee and practically one of KFAN. If was this available as a coach, he’d still be the coach.

Top Bottom