Scott Frost

Appears Frost will stay where he is or, much more likely, go home to Nebraska. It won't take him long to shape them up, recruit better players and get into the B10 championship race. Final four finishes are not out of the question once he gets going. He is the perfect fit for Nebraska, much as Bud Wilkinson or Bud Grant would have been perfect fits for Minnesota. He will do very well in Lincoln - and that will hurt us. With their revenue stream, 90,000+ stadium, fan base and new AD, Nebraska will recruit the nation successfully. They are Football-U.

Lol, you are delusional. Nebraska academics are that of a glorified community college. They are in the middle of no where. The steroid era is over and Nebraska will never be the same as they were when they were cheating.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nebraska's ceiling is now the same as Iowa's, IMO.

Winning strategy in the AAC/big east = sign the best players who couldn’t qualify academically at ACC and SEC programs as well as second tier players from the south. Then play against a schedule of teams using that same strategy.

Losing strategy in the big ten = signing second tier players from the Deep South while trying to run a spread/speed system (see rich Rodriguez)

Unless he can lock up top tier players, his offense will struggle in any of the big 5 conferences. If Nebraska hires him it honestly reminds me a little bit of Michigan hiring rich rod

You keep comparing Nebraska to Iowa, and I'm not really sure why. Because they are both located in farm country?

Who has more money? Better facilities? Bigger fan base? Much more winning history and tradition? How about more grassroots local support? Answer to all of these questions=Nebraska.

Now, you're right that they may never win another national title. Demographics have shifted, they can't rely on Prop 48 anymore for recruits, The B1G is much tougher to compete/win than the old Big 8 was, etc. They've never had access to a solid local recruiting base, and that problem could be more of an issue in 2017 than it was in 1995. All valid points.

But there is a big difference between 4-8, pathetic 2017 Nebraska and what Frost will make them if (when) he takes the job. With the right coach and some patience, they will be contending in the Big Ten West consistently.

The expectations in Lincoln need to be recalibrated so that the fans recognize a nine-win, second place in the Big West, season as what it is: a great season for them. Because that is what it is now.

I compare them to Iowa because they're almost the exact same. Located in very similar areas of the country, the same level of facilities, fan support, and financial support. Etc

If Frost intended to stay at UCF he could have said so by this time. Being young (early forties) and with a new baby, he could have stayed there to complete a buildup to big-time status; then, after five years or so, his kid still pre-school, he could have jumped to the SEC, B10, maybe even Nebraska as it discarded yet another coach. My guess is he announces Saturday, after the AC championship game, that he's headed to Lincoln.

What was their record the year before he started? Did he pull a PJ, and ruin a nine win team so he'll look better three years later?

I hope this is sarcasm. Even as an optimistic Gopher football fan, I recognize that last year's 9 win season could easily have been only 5 wins. The margin of error was often razor thin, and the team caught enough breaks to eek out 4 of the wins.

Oregon State was 30-23
Colorado State was 31-24
Rutgers was 34-32 (and they were having a bad year)
Washington State (bowl game) was 17-12

All of those games could have easily been losses.

While I'm not happy with the way this season ended, some of the positives from this year included:

- 3-0 in non-conference play, with very convincing wins vs. Oregon St. and Middle Tenn. St.
- The team nearly came back to win vs. Mich State (Demry's best performance as a passer)
- The game vs. Iowa (who pounded Ohio State) was competitive, and we kept it within one score.
- The team took advantage of a Nebraska team in a down year and scored 54 points.
- The emergence of Tyler Johnson as a very solid WR option as a sophomore. He was out in both the Northwestern and Wisconsin games.

Given the combination of injuries to key players (Winfield, Brooks, Johnson, Thomas, Craighton, numerous OL, etc.), lack of B1G depth at many positions (especially WR and QB), and learning new systems on offense and defense, it's not surprising that the team was inconsistent and lost to teams with with better talent and more stability in their programs (, #19 Michigan St, Iowa, Michigan, #20 Northwestern, and #3 Wisconsin).

The only games that really disappointed me were the losses to Maryland and Purdue. However, the team bounced back and played better in 3 of the following 4 games.

As it stands today, the incoming recruiting class looks to be the best (on paper) in the last 10 years. That is in spite of the struggles this season.

While I'm not writing off next season, likely losses include at Ohio State, Iowa, Northwestern and at Wisconsin. Add to that what will likely be tough games vs. Fresno State (9 wins), at Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, and 8 losses wouldn't be surprising.

On the flip side, if the team gets enough breaks similar to the 2016 season and we could see 7 to 8 wins (including at least one underdog win).

What I'll be looking for next year is development of players in their 2nd season in the program. Even though it may not translate into wins in 2018 due to youth and inexperience, I'll be looking for evidence of more overall talent on both sides of the ball with the influx of redshirts from this year, the return of key players like Winfield and Tyler Johnson, and a promising dual-threat QB recruit in VV.

Appears Frost will stay where he is or, much more likely, go home to Nebraska. It won't take him long to shape them up, recruit better players and get into the B10 championship race. Final four finishes are not out of the question once he gets going. He is the perfect fit for Nebraska, much as Bud Wilkinson or Bud Grant would have been perfect fits for Minnesota. He will do very well in Lincoln - and that will hurt us. With their revenue stream, 90,000+ stadium, fan base and new AD, Nebraska will recruit the nation successfully. They are Football-U.

It's interesting to see how many top 300 recruits have Nebraska listed as a top choice. Gotta think a Frost hire will lead to some of them signing on. They will be quickly top 2 in the West. I think overall it will boost the whole conference.

I hope this is sarcasm. Even as an optimistic Gopher football fan, I recognize that last year's 9 win season could easily have been only 5 wins. The margin of error was often razor thin, and the team caught enough breaks to eek out 4 of the wins.

Oregon State was 30-23
Colorado State was 31-24

While I'm not happy with the way this season ended, some of the positives from this year included:

- 3-0 in non-conference play, with very convincing wins vs. Oregon St. and Middle Tenn. St.
- The team nearly came back to win vs. Mich State (Demry's best performance as a passer)
- The game vs. Iowa (who pounded Ohio State) was competitive, and we kept it within one score.
- The team took advantage of a Nebraska team in a down year and scored 54 points.
- The emergence of Tyler Johnson as a very solid WR option as a sophomore. He was out in both the Northwestern and Wisconsin games.

Given the combination of injuries to key players (Winfield, Brooks, Johnson, Thomas, Craighton, numerous OL, etc.), lack of B1G depth at many positions (especially WR and QB), and learning new systems on offense and defense, it's not surprising that the team was inconsistent and lost to teams with with better talent and more stability in their programs (, #19 Michigan St, Iowa, Michigan, #20 Northwestern, and #3 Wisconsin).

The only games that really disappointed me were the losses to Maryland and Purdue. However, the team bounced back and played better in 3 of the following 4 games.

As it stands today, the incoming recruiting class looks to be the best (on paper) in the last 10 years. That is in spite of the struggles this season.

While I'm not writing off next season, likely losses include at Ohio State, Iowa, Northwestern and at Wisconsin. Add to that what will likely be tough games vs. Fresno State (9 wins), at Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, and 8 losses wouldn't be surprising.

On the flip side, if the team gets enough breaks similar to the 2016 season and we could see 7 to 8 wins (including at least one underdog win).

What I'll be looking for next year is development of players in their 2nd season in the program. Even though it may not translate into wins in 2018 due to youth and inexperience, I'll be looking for evidence of more overall talent on both sides of the ball with the influx of redshirts from this year, the return of key players like Winfield and Tyler Johnson, and a promising dual-threat QB recruit in VV.

Great post! :clap:

We just need to see a ton of development in virtually all areas on offense. Though I'm not sure how much Fleck's system uses TE's, we need huge amounts of improvement, player development, or outright just a new person to step up in the QB, WR, OL, and a solid backup RB (Femi-Cole?).

Oregon State was 30-23
Colorado State was 31-24

So we're back to wins* now...

IMHO don't think you can be an optimistic gopher fan and think eight losses in 2018 would not be surprising.

Oregon State was 30-23
Colorado State was 31-24

One score games=razor thin wins. Consequently, this year's team could have been worse with razor thin wins: Illinois 24-17. Should I point out that Buffalo was a one score game until 2:03 to play? I was watching and thought that was razor thin.

I hate to rain on your optimistic parade, but this year could have easily been 3-9. "[T]he team caught enough breaks to eek out" 2 more wins.

I guess optimism is not allowed to look farther into the future than one year???

IMHO don't think you can be an optimistic gopher fan and think eight losses in 2018 would not be surprising.
If you are looking at the overall state of the program and not getting too wrapped up in wins and losses in a particular season, it is easy to be an optimist and understand that next year might be a rough year...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Interesting according to Football Scoop. Jimbo heading to Texas A&M is getting real. That could open up Taggart to go back to Florida at FSU. That would open Oregon. Nebraska might get some competition for Frost yet.

Last year things around Fleck were as quiet as Frost this year. I suspect he's already accepted the Nebraska job in a way.

Wasn't the way we wanted it but maybe he's got a point. Getting blown out, shut out or putting only a score or two on the board did kill all the "but look how they WON" complaints that dbaldy is referring to.

Interesting according to Football Scoop. Jimbo heading to Texas A&M is getting real. That could open up Taggart to go back to Florida at FSU. That would open Oregon. Nebraska might get some competition for Frost yet.

Last year things around Fleck were as quiet as Frost this year. I suspect he's already accepted the Nebraska job in a way.

Could you please diagram that for us?;)

Appears Frost will stay where he is or, much more likely, go home to Nebraska. It won't take him long to shape them up, recruit better players and get into the B10 championship race. Final four finishes are not out of the question once he gets going. He is the perfect fit for Nebraska ... He will do very well in Lincoln - and that will hurt us. With their revenue stream, 90,000+ stadium, fan base and new AD, Nebraska will recruit the nation successfully. They are Football-U.

This is a game-changer in the B1G West. He will bring a lot of Florida with him to NE.

That is if their fans are patient enough and not turn into Tennessee Vols Dumpsters.

This hire makes sense. Riley made no sense. I definitely feel Nebraska is going to get better. My question: In year one for Frost...will Nebraska improve their record enough to go to a bowl next year or will he tear it down and win 4 or 5 games? I'm guessing they'll be bowl bound.

This hire makes sense. Riley made no sense. I definitely feel Nebraska is going to get better. My question: In year zero for Frost...will Nebraska improve their record enough to go to a bowl next year or will he tear it down and win 4 or 5 games? I'm guessing they'll be bowl bound.

FIFY

Frost will return the Huskers to being a national power. He knows the formula. He knows the Xs and Os. He has the support.

The B1G West may not be the softer side of the B1G anymore.

The Fleck, Brohm, and now Frost hires just made the B1G West more complicated.

Frost will return the Huskers to being a national power. He knows the formula. He knows the Xs and Os. He has the support.

Like with everyone else, I guess time will tell. Riley also knows X's and O's and was a successful coach before coming to Nebraska. IMHO, in this day and age, it's like 85% recruiting, 10% scheming, and 5% luck. Every team in the country has now faced spread, "warp speed" teams multiple times. Frost's offensive system isn't some revelation -- he just had really, really good players to run it at UCF. He also had really good players at Oregon. Helfrich (who had a big hand in creating the system and knows it as well as anyone) couldn't get those same players to Oregon and turned them into a middling PAC12 team. So the bottom line is this: if Frost can get extremely talented athletes to come to Lincoln, Nebraska, I have no doubt they'll be pretty good. If not, I see a middling B1G team.

It is absolutely NOT at all a foregone conclusion that Frost will be able to do the only thing that would work at Nebraska, any better than Callahan, Pelini, or Riley: import a lot of high level football athletes from places far away from Lincoln, Nebraska.

You have to convince a hot shot player from Florida, Texas, or California to come to middle of nowhere hell. It was one thing when Nebraska was winning national championships ... then you could overlook the distance and the environment, as a top level player. But that's not true anymore. There are too many better, higher level programs that a hot shot recruit from a hotbed has to "step over" in order to reach Lincoln.

Frost isn't magic. He doesn't have a bag of pixie dust. He can't pay recruits and their families under the table, or take player who don't qualify academically, or take players who would otherwise be in jail ... like Osborne did.

He won't be able to get the players that would be needed to win the Big Ten, let alone compete in the CFP. Won't. Be. Able.

It is absolutely NOT at all a foregone conclusion that Frost will be able to do the only thing that would work at Nebraska, any better than Callahan, Pelini, or Riley: import a lot of high level football athletes from places far away from Lincoln, Nebraska.

You have to convince a hot shot player from Florida, Texas, or California to come to middle of nowhere hell. It was one thing when Nebraska was winning national championships ... then you could overlook the distance and the environment, as a top level player. But that's not true anymore. There are too many better, higher level programs that a hot shot recruit from a hotbed has to "step over" in order to reach Lincoln.

Frost isn't magic. He doesn't have a bag of pixie dust. He can't pay recruits and their families under the table, or take player who don't qualify academically, or take players who would otherwise be in jail ... like Osborne did.

He won't be able to get the players that would be needed to win the Big Ten, let alone compete in the CFP. Won't. Be. Able.

But, he will be able to poach players that MN normally gets.

After watching UCF yesterday, their defense gave up 750 yards and 48 points in regulation! That's not a strong recommendation for the B10. Strange to say, Frost's wide-open offense would have been a great fit for Florida, and Dan Mullen's tough defensive teams a good fit for Nebraska. Nevertheless, both will probably do well where they are headed. My guess is Frost will have to adjust a lot at Nebraska and change his style. At Oregon, Chip Kelly's teams went 46-7 the four years Frost was wide receivers coach and Oregon went 24-4 the two years after that with Frost as OC. My guess is he'll use elements of the spread offense, combined with some of the old Nebraska power option play. Running and stopping the run are still key elements in winning in the B10. But Nebraska will probably go to a bowl next year, whatever Frost comes up with.

Frost will already have the pieces he needs to be successful on offense next year. Whether or not he can build a defense will determine how successful he will be.

Frost will already have the pieces he needs to be successful on offense next year. Whether or not he can build a defense will determine how successful he will be.

Not sure they have one important position. QB
Not sure they have a great OL
Not sure they have WR depth to run 3-5 sets effectively every play.

Top Bottom