Scott Frost

Not sure they have one important position. QB
Not sure they have a great OL
Not sure they have WR depth to run 3-5 sets effectively every play.

They return a QB with the second most passing yards in the conference and 2 of the top 4 WRs.

What is in Frost' favor is Nebraska has had the highest recruiting rankings although Wisconsin best them with lower incoming talent level.

Maybe, Frost knows how to unlock talent potential.

Neither are mobile, neither fit Frost's offense.

Their WR's aren't mobile? UCF's QB put up Leidner like rushing stats, and wasn't much of a runner at all last year.

Or are you just looking to go off on another Tanner Lee tangent about how he's not a good QB, when actually he is.

Their WR's aren't mobile? UCF's QB put up Leidner like rushing stats, and wasn't much of a runner at all last year.

Or are you just looking to go off on another Tanner Lee tangent about how he's not a good QB, when actually he is.

QBs, especially Lee. Pro-style. Frost stated he is not changing his offense, and the QB is an integral part of the running game.

Lee's very pedestrian at QB. 46 TDs, 37 INTs, 9-22 in three years. He's stuck. O'brien has a chance, but I'm guessing Frost will be looking to recruit in his type QB, much like Fleck.

Why will he be able to do it any better than Riley?

You have to be kidding right? Age, success, etc. etc. Riley was a retread that didn't fit in. The AD lost his job over that hire. College football is all about fit, ties, support and recruiting. Frost is a homerun hire and will have Nebraska in the West title hunt every year once things are stabilized.

Frost has ties from 7 years playing in the NFL, he coached at Oregon and was part of two staffs that won 4 Pac 12 Titles. He took over a team that was 0-12 two years ago and turned it around for his fifth conference title this year at UCF.

I think you can win anywhere with the right culture, support and coaching. He's the first Nebraska hire that fits since Solich and Pelini and they were the last two successful coaches.

You have to be kidding right? Age, success, etc. etc. Riley was a retread that didn't fit in. The AD lost his job over that hire. College football is all about fit, ties, support and recruiting.

Just so much wrong here, and proven wrong over and over again.

"Fit" is a made up, hand-waiving variable that your cohort introduce to account for when a supposed recruiting hotshot comes into a program and falls flat on his face. Brewster, et al. "Well what do you mean, he was supposed to be a great recruiter! I thought that's all that mattered??" "No no no, you also have to take into account 'fit'. Brewster didn't work out because he was a bad 'fit'. Yeah." "..... well what does that mean?? Why was he a bad fit?" "Well obviously he was a bad fit! He didn't win!" :rolleyes:

Another great current example is Iowa St vs Kansas. Iowa St went the correct route, IMO, and brought in a MAC coach that had a great run. Kansas, on the other hand, hired a hotshot recruiting coordinator from Texas A&M, as he promised to deliver the state of Texas to the Kansas football program and turn them into 1997 Nebraska.

Guess which one is winning out?

Another great current example is Iowa St vs Kansas. Iowa St went the correct route, IMO, and brought in a MAC coach that had a great run. Kansas, on the other hand, hired a hotshot recruiting coordinator from Texas A&M, as he promised to deliver the state of Texas to the Kansas football program and turn them into 1997 Nebraska.

Your example has nothing to do with what I mentioned. This example is a guy who proved himself as a HC in the MAC and a guy who had never been a HC.

Frost has proven that he can go 6-7 in year one and 12-0 in year two with largely not his own players, unless he was playing a large amount of freshmen.

You are touting him as a hotshot recruiter, who "fits" in at Nebraska. That's all you think are critical to success at a college football program. I think that's not the full story. Yes, part of it, but not the full.

Matt Campbell has proven that he could take what Tim Beckman started and not just sustain it, but continue to improve it. And now he's turning Iowa State around. That is the route to go when selecting a new HC, in my opinion. Not at all foolproof, of course. Nothing is.

Frost has proven that he can go 6-7 in year one and 12-0 in year two with largely not his own players, unless he was playing a large amount of freshmen.

You are touting him as a hotshot recruiter, who "fits" in at Nebraska. That's all you think are critical to success at a college football program. I think that's not the full story. Yes, part of it, but not the full.

Matt Campbell has proven that he could take what Tim Beckman started and not just sustain it, but continue to improve it. And now he's turning Iowa State around. That is the route to go when selecting a new HC, in my opinion. Not at all foolproof, of course. Nothing is.

I made no mention of Frost being a hotshot recruiter. I think Campbell and Frost are very similar and will both be successful coaches. I agree that they are the way to go. The question for Frost will be if he can produce a defense.

You said: " Riley was a retread that didn't fit in. The AD lost his job over that hire. College football is all about fit, ties, support and recruiting."

Anyway, no need to argue if we're on the same page. I just don't think Frost will be able to get the players he needs to meet Nebraska fanbase's impossible expectations. Bo couldn't do it.

I'm no Nebraska fan but I don't hate them either. This is a great get for them. I will make a bold prediction and say they will be back near (but not quite) where they were in the old days in just a few short years. And hopefully Fleck and Brohm can make things happen as well. The B1G West needs to get stronger for any consideration for rankings and CFP spots. And, locally, more people will show up to Gopher games.

Just so much wrong here, and proven wrong over and over again.

"Fit" is a made up, hand-waiving variable that your cohort introduce to account for when a supposed recruiting hotshot comes into a program and falls flat on his face. Brewster, et al. "Well what do you mean, he was supposed to be a great recruiter! I thought that's all that mattered??" "No no no, you also have to take into account 'fit'. Brewster didn't work out because he was a bad 'fit'. Yeah." "..... well what does that mean?? Why was he a bad fit?" "Well obviously he was a bad fit! He didn't win!" :rolleyes:

There are countless examples of good coaches failing because of poor institutional fit. See Charlie Strong at Texas, Jim McElwain at Florida, etc.

I don't think Mike Riley at Nebraska was a poor fit per se. But he was a historically bad, head scratching hire from the start. Riley was an old man with a very limited run of recent success. He was doomed to fail.

Comparing Iowa State and Kansas in this scenario is nonsense. KU post Charlie Weis was/is an apocalyptic scene. They had zero chance to succeed for five years after that carnage, Nick Sabin himself couldn't have turned that thing around in a hurry.

Frost will not have the same luxury of recruiting players in one of the hottest recruiting hotbeds.

Convincing high caliber players that probably have never seen snow to come up in god-forsaken corn country will be a factor on the creme de la creme players who have better options in the warmer SEC country.

I don't know what the admissions standards are for UCF. I bet they are different for Nebraska.

Frost will not have the same luxury of recruiting players in one of the hottest recruiting hotbeds.

Convincing high caliber players that probably have never seen snow to come up in god-forsaken corn country will be a factor on the creme de la creme players who have better options in the warmer SEC country.

I don't know what the admissions standards are for UCF. I bet they are different for Nebraska.

First, how is this any different than Fleck as far as challenges? Second, did you even look at UCF recruiting class rankings?

First, how is this any different than Fleck as far as challenges? Second, did you even look at UCF recruiting class rankings?

At least Minneapolis is closer to some population, and has some culture and population of its own. Certainly far better than Lincoln.

But I would say that the ceiling for Fleck and Frost is largely the same, because of the very similar challenges both face in that respect. They're only ever going to be able to convince "three star" type kids to uproot from growing up in California, Texas, Florida and come to Lincoln, Nebraska, or Minneapolis, Minnesota. Too many FBS programs inbetween those areas and where those higher recruits are.

There are countless examples of good coaches failing because of poor institutional fit. See Charlie Strong at Texas, Jim McElwain at Florida, etc.

I don't think Mike Riley at Nebraska was a poor fit per se. But he was a historically bad, head scratching hire from the start. Riley was an old man with a very limited run of recent success. He was doomed to fail.

Comparing Iowa State and Kansas in this scenario is nonsense. KU post Charlie Weis was/is an apocalyptic scene. They had zero chance to succeed for five years after that carnage, Nick Sabin himself couldn't have turned that thing around in a hurry.

You say Strong and McElwain failed because of poor fit. So then what does that even mean?

Iowa St was hardly a football destination, and didn't have much success to speak of. Not the black hole of Kansas, sure. But a reasonable comparison. Beaty at Kansas went from 0-12/0-9 in 2015 to 2-10/1-8 in 2016. If he could've made it to 4-8/2-7 this year, that would've been some real progress, for a program like that. But instead they regressed to 1-11/0-9. He is in some hot water there, especially with them spending hundreds of millions to upgrade football facilities. Another bad year, and he'll be out. They'd do well to hire a younger coach from a G5 that has turned around a program and had a successful 4-year rebuilding effort. In my opinion

Saying frost isn’t a lock to be successful is not even close to saying Fleck is a lock to be successful. I’m not sure why people are conflating the two. I do think Frost and Fleck have some of the same challenges. Not sure which will be better. Nebraska has more advantages than Minnesota does. I’d say Frost has a better chance to have major success. As would any coach Nebraska hired.

Saying frost isn’t a lock to be successful is not even close to saying Fleck is a lock to be successful. I’m not sure why people are conflating the two. I do think Frost and Fleck have some of the same challenges. Not sure which will be better. Nebraska has more advantages than Minnesota does. I’d say Frost has a better chance to have major success. As would any coach Nebraska hired.

The interesting point, vis-a-vis the NFL, is this: college programs can't pay recruits to sign.

If that were the case, then we'd be talking about an entirely different game. Then you genuinely COULD see Frost or whomever approach a five-star kid in Florida and pay him big bucks to come to Lincoln for three, four years. And Nebraska would still have a lot of "old money" to be a top player in a system like that.

But as it works now, you have to convince a young man to more or less "volunteer" to leave Florida for Nebraska, on the promise of being developed into a top NFL prospect more or less, and playing for a top team. And that promise has more or less vanished from Lincoln.

It's an additional flight or two to get to Lincoln.

Minneapolis you can fly right in and fly right back.

Flight, Uber ride to visit. Uber ride back, flight back home direct.

Other areas, Flight, another flight, rental car, drive through traffic. Park a car, etc... all that trouble. It's not worth it!

I would think it's a little easier to get recruits to visit Mpls than some of these other areas.

It's an additional flight or two to get to Lincoln.

Minneapolis you can fly right in and fly right back.

Flight, Uber ride to visit. Uber ride back, flight back home direct.

Other areas, Flight, another flight, rental car, drive through traffic. Park a car, etc... all that trouble. It's not worth it!

I would think it's a little easier to get recruits to visit Mpls than some of these other areas.

All else being equal yes.
Go to a game at Lincoln and you can see why it is easier to recruit to Lincoln than Minneapolis or Chicago (Northwestern).

At least Minneapolis is closer to some population, and has some culture and population of its own. Certainly far better than Lincoln.

But I would say that the ceiling for Fleck and Frost is largely the same, because of the very similar challenges both face in that respect. They're only ever going to be able to convince "three star" type kids to uproot from growing up in California, Texas, Florida and come to Lincoln, Nebraska, or Minneapolis, Minnesota. Too many FBS programs inbetween those areas and where those higher recruits are.

Frost's UCF classes were in the 50s...a tick up from previous classes. Neb has been a consistent top 25 in recruiting classes for forever, regardless of HC. I expect Frost to maintain that level. Real question is can he translate that into his UCF success?

You say Strong and McElwain failed because of poor fit. So then what does that even mean?

Iowa St was hardly a football destination, and didn't have much success to speak of. Not the black hole of Kansas, sure. But a reasonable comparison. Beaty at Kansas went from 0-12/0-9 in 2015 to 2-10/1-8 in 2016. If he could've made it to 4-8/2-7 this year, that would've been some real progress, for a program like that. But instead they regressed to 1-11/0-9. He is in some hot water there, especially with them spending hundreds of millions to upgrade football facilities. Another bad year, and he'll be out. They'd do well to hire a younger coach from a G5 that has turned around a program and had a successful 4-year rebuilding effort. In my opinion

Another example of good coach/bad cultural fit: Rich Rod @ Michigan. If you really have no comprehension for how certain coaches would be better fits at certain schools then let's just move on.

Here is a reference point for the ruinous state Weis left the KU program. This was not your garden variety rebuilding job.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/102510/kansas-picking-up-pieces-after-ruinous-charlie-weis-era

I watched some of the Scott Frost introductory presser and one thing I did like is he didn't come in with all this slogan BS we had to hear from Brew and Fleck. Don't get me wrong I want Fleck to succeed but it gets a little old when coaches come in with their mouth going a million miles an hour with all these different slogans and sayings.

I watched some of the Scott Frost introductory presser and one thing I did like is he didn't come in with all this slogan BS we had to hear from Brew and Fleck. Don't get me wrong I want Fleck to succeed but it gets a little old when coaches come in with their mouth going a million miles an hour with all these different slogans and sayings.

I liked the Fleck hire also, but I agree 100%. He did not even crack a smile until late.
They hired their perfect coach and he will be given a long leash to succeed.

Frost is a fierce competitor, ever since high school football - both his parents were coaches (mom, track) - and he is young enough to make adjustments to fit his personnel. Talk now of bringing in half a dozen JC players for next year, including a QB. Lincoln, by the way, is a very pleasant college city with 300,000 metro population. It has a great little downtown, since the university is there, thus supporting movie theaters, restaurants and an old town area. And Omaha, with a metro near a million and loads of cultural and entertainment attractions, is just a 45-minute drive. It's not the middle of nowhere.

Watch the games and tell me they have a good qb

I watched a lot of Nebraska games, it's easy to see the talent Lee has.

QBs, especially Lee. Pro-style. Frost stated he is not changing his offense, and the QB is an integral part of the running game.

Lee's very pedestrian at QB. 46 TDs, 37 INTs, 9-22 in three years. He's stuck. O'brien has a chance, but I'm guessing Frost will be looking to recruit in his type QB, much like Fleck.

How is a QB that ran for 158 yards last year and 497 yards this year an integral part of the offense? It's more than Lee will run for, but it's not exactly a lot by college football standards.

Frost will make it work with Lee next year. He's not pedestrian, he's one of the beset QBs in the conference and will get a chance to play on Sundays.

The Huskers have their coach for the next 20 years. They will be a legit helmet school again in relatively short time. Brohm will succeed but not at that level. Fleck is our man and we would all be in love with him if we hadn't suffered through Brewster talk. The Gophers, Huskers, and Badgers will be slugging to out before long.

I think that Fleck and Frost are the two coaches that can beat the East in the Championship game. Right now Frost has a lot more talent to work with in Lincoln.

I watched a lot of Nebraska games, it's easy to see the talent Lee has.

How is a QB that ran for 158 yards last year and 497 yards this year an integral part of the offense? It's more than Lee will run for, but it's not exactly a lot by college football standards.

Frost will make it work with Lee next year. He's not pedestrian, he's one of the beset QBs in the conference and will get a chance to play on Sundays.
I am going to have to disagree with you.

Guy threw 16 picks and had -97 rushing yards. He singlehandedly lost them the northern Illinois game in what was one of the worst seasons in Nebraska history. He Had big numbers in some games when Nebraska was getting beaten down. In games where at one point Nebraska was down 21 points or more he had 1500 yards and 12 touchdowns. Really good. I’m sure he wasn’t padding stats against teams playing vanilla defense and/or backup players.
He won’t even be their starting quarterback at the end of next year is my prediction. Average quarterback who happens to also be the wrong style for that offense.

Top Bottom