Scott Frost

You are probably right. The problem for Fleck is he came in here like a bull in a china shop and talked, talked, talked and talked. There are serious challenges here - all his jumping around like a fart in a frying pan and empty suit “talk” can make this place a laughingstock and damage us badly - if it hasn’t already. That’s why many people are upset - your point is well taken (TC got 9 games by a incredibly easy schedule, beating nobody any good, and with tinfoil and bubblegum), but PJ brought this scrutiny on himself. You do that kind of stuff, and this is one of the drawbacks.

Yep, and not sure how two shutout losses to end the season helps recruiting in any way. Other than Q4 melt down at Wisc last year, Gophs losses were all close, and they were in position with chances to win.

We have to rely on the magic of PJ Fleck in selling his vision. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Does he have a smarmy catch phrase like say "All hands on deck" or something like that?

They can do what Iowa and Wisconsin do: a nationally competitive, top 5 ranked season once every 10-15 years. That should be the new expectation in Lincoln.

But they think that should be every year. Which is absurd and ridiculous.

Of course they'll get substantially better than a four or five win season. But their fans need to recalibrate to that being a nine win season and the Citrus Bowl, and accept that as a great season.

They're never, ever going to return to the era of the late 90's, with 10-11 win seasons every year in and year out.

This is a good observation you make. Good point - they will never be like they used to.

Neb vs us in a nutshell.
Bad football here may eventually get the AD fired.
Bad football in Lincoln will get the President of the school fired.

Correct. If another one of our mental gymnastic rationales here is that we will be that much better because NB will stay bad - that’s really reaching for ANYTHING. Agree they won’t be what they were in the past, but the theory they will stay “MN inept” for a decade is highly, highly unlikely.

Do Minn and Nebraska really overlap that much for recruits? Unless they decide to start coming up to Minn and Wisconsin to recruit players, I don't think there will be that many serious head-to-heads.

Correct. If another one of our mental gymnastic rationales here is that we will be that much better because NB will stay bad - that’s really reaching for ANYTHING. Agree they won’t be what they were in the past, but the theory they will stay “MN inept” for a decade is highly, highly unlikely.

"we"? "MN inept"? Please elaborate.

Clarification in meaning (sorry wasn’t more clear)

Simply meant there are now folks that seem to think one (of many) reasons MN is going to be good “in three years” is because: NE will remain at the “50 years of Gopher Football” Level. That’s not going to be the case likely. Not a big Huskerd fan by any means, but pretty sure they will find a way to be good again, and soon.

Clarification in meaning (sorry wasn’t more clear)

Simply meant there are now folks that seem to think one (of many) reasons MN is going to be good “in three years” is because: NE will remain at the “50 years of Gopher Football” Level. That’s not going to be the case likely. Not a big Huskerd fan by any means, but pretty sure they will find a way to be good again, and soon.

There's a reason Nebraska fans pine for a return to the "Big 8" or even "12". Since they've joined the Big Ten here is Nebraska's Conference Record:

5-3
7-1
5-3
5-3
3-5
6-3
3-6

and Minnesota?

2-6
2-6
4-4
5-3
2-6
5-4
2-7

Nebraska's record is better. But a return to their glory days isn't gonna happen in the Big Ten.

I'll gladly say what is painfully obvious: adding Nebraska to the Big Ten was and is an embarrassing mistake.

I wish that it could be corrected, but that's not how it works in college conferences. Nebraska is with us for life, now. So instead of one Iowa, we have two Iowa's.

I'll gladly say what is painfully obvious: adding Nebraska to the Big Ten was and is an embarrassing mistake.

I wish that it could be corrected, but that's not how it works in college conferences. Nebraska is with us for life, now. So instead of one Iowa, we have two Iowa's.

More embarrassing than adding Rutgers and Maryland?

I kind of miss Claeys’ quiet, self-effacing demeanor.

Huh? It might have been a mistake for Nebraska to join but I don't think it was a mistake for the Big 10 to take them.

They are delusional enough to think that they had a chance at dominating the conference, and that was, well, delusional. However, it is still a good program. It has a good fan base and has national glitz. They will spend a lot of money on their next coach and schools that do that are good for a conference.

Rutgers and Maryland? Gross.

If Frost is hired, Nebraska will come back quickly and be as good as or better than Wisconsin - and for a long time as he's a young guy not likely to go anywhere else. He'll raise his kids in Lincoln and go to AZ on vacations (his wife is from AZ). It will be worse than a second Iowa, it will be a second Wisconsin.

If Frost is hired, Nebraska will come back quickly and be as good as or better than Wisconsin - and for a long time as he's a young guy not likely to go anywhere else. He'll raise his kids in Lincoln and go to AZ on vacations (his wife is from AZ). It will be worse than a second Iowa, it will be a second Wisconsin.

We can worry about that or embrace it.

If WI plays in the national title game and if Nebraska comes back and competes at a high level with them, our whole division will look tougher and that's good for us anytime we beat them.

If we want to be good, we want to be good enough to beat the best.
Not be good enough to beat most of the teams in our division in years when they are down and coaches are being fired.

Yeh, it's fun watching Nebraska suck, but not all new coaches pan out so we'll see just like we are seeing with PJ and Purdue with their new coach.

And rumor is that Frost told Florida "no" because he's taking the Nebraska job. Been a done deal for awhile due to reports. Will be announced after conference championship game.

Wow, people have a lot of confidence in Scott Frost's coaching ability. I'm sure he'll be a lot better than Riley, but the reaction around here is akin to Saban taking the Nebraska job. I guess people must be pretty stoked on PJ Fleck then since he accomplished just as much at WMU as Frost has at UCF. Fleck might have accomplished more since he took over a lackluster program that had never won 10 games in a season, whereas Frost took over a program that had won 10+ games 4 times in the previous decade.

Wow, people have a lot of confidence in Scott Frost's coaching ability. I'm sure he'll be a lot better than Riley, but the reaction around here is akin to Saban taking the Nebraska job. I guess people must be pretty stoked on PJ Fleck then since he accomplished just as much at WMU as Frost has at UCF. Fleck might have accomplished more since he took over a lackluster program that had never won 10 games in a season, whereas Frost took over a program that had won 10+ games 4 times in the previous decade.

Evidently Fleck takes too long to do it.
And he has his whole spiel.

Scott Frost does it in 2 years instead of 4 and without all the hype.

Evidently Fleck takes too long to do it.
And he has his whole spiel.

Scott Frost does it in 2 years instead of 4 and without all the hype.
Absolutely. If PJ just didn't say Row the Boat, Elite, talk about year zero, and make up acronyms he would be doing fine.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Lol, you are delusional. Nebraska academics are that of a glorified community college. They are in the middle of no where. The steroid era is over and Nebraska will never be the same as they were when they were cheating.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I know maroonfive is exaggerating a bit ... in general he's exactly correct.

Scott Frost can't force kids to sign with Nebraska. And he can't pay them and their families under the table, or take players that are criminals or wouldn't qualify elsewhere. That's what I mean by "that era is gone".

I don't care who you are, or how proud you are .... it will never be possible again for Nebraska to convince enough of the kids they would need in order to win a national title from Lincoln, Nebraska to come to the school.

Madison is much better, and much closer to more population than Lincoln. The state and the surrounding area are too sparse and don't produce enough talent. And they won't be able to import enough kids in from out of the area, no matter which area they try to focus on (out west, Texas, or the deep south). It will just never work.

Nebraska's heydey was while they were in the Big 12, and if you didn't get an offer to go to Oklahoma, you went to Nebraska.
They pumped their kids up with nutrients to make the big and strong, and Osborne took people like Lawrence Phillips to make it happen.

Criminals played for Nebraska? Nooooooo!!!! They had an excellent nutrition program back then under Osborne to beef up the corn fed Huskers. The players on their championship teams were all saints just like Oklahoma's under Barry Switzer.

Huh? It might have been a mistake for Nebraska to join but I don't think it was a mistake for the Big 10 to take them.

They are delusional enough to think that they had a chance at dominating the conference, and that was, well, delusional. However, it is still a good program. It has a good fan base and has national glitz. They will spend a lot of money on their next coach and schools that do that are good for a conference.

Rutgers and Maryland? Gross.

Nebraska has been a great fit (even though they've badly underachieved on the field). Terrific fit culturally and geographically. Added another blue blood (or former, but still close) program with a huge national brand and following. Allowed us to balance out the divisions geographically and ditch the embarrassing Legends and Leaders fiasco. Etc etc

Rutgers and Maryland was a terrible decision. East Coast schools that don't fit in whatsoever. I'll never view them as true B1G schools.

Not that Moneybags Delaney cares about the fans though.

Nebraska's heydey was while they were in the Big 12, and if you didn't get an offer to go to Oklahoma, you went to Nebraska.
They pumped their kids up with nutrients to make the big and strong, and Osborne took people like Lawrence Phillips to make it happen.

*Big 8

Nebraska on the other hand will never win another national title. It might make the CFP once every 15 years. It’s the same thing as Iowa, now. But its fans and booster still think it’s 1997. They think they should be Alabama, and can’t figure out why they aren’t.

You keep comparing Nebraska to Iowa, and I'm not really sure why. Because they are both located in farm country?

Who has more money? Better facilities? Bigger fan base? Much more winning history and tradition? How about more grassroots local support? Answer to all of these questions=Nebraska.

Now, you're right that they may never win another national title. Demographics have shifted, they can't rely on Prop 48 anymore for recruits, The B1G is much tougher to compete/win than the old Big 8 was, etc. They've never had access to a solid local recruiting base, and that problem could be more of an issue in 2017 than it was in 1995. All valid points.

But there is a big difference between 4-8, pathetic 2017 Nebraska and what Frost will make them if (when) he takes the job. With the right coach and some patience, they will be contending in the Big Ten West consistently.

Absolutely. If PJ just didn't say Row the Boat, Elite, talk about year zero, and make up acronyms he would be doing fine.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

He'd be doing a lot better for certain!!! Keep the enthusiasm, be a cheerleader, forget the explanations.

And rumor is that Frost told Florida "no" because he's taking the Nebraska job. Been a done deal for awhile due to reports. Will be announced after conference championship game.
I second that. Have a former co-worker who has a buddy who played at Nebraska and he says Frost is a done deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom