MN Daily: After tumultuous four years, seniors to play last game at TCF Bank Stadium

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Minnesota’s seniors are a unique group among college football.

Not for their record, not for the team’s performance, but this class has seen three head coaches over the course of their career. The group of 16 seniors will play their final game at TCF Bank Stadium against Wisconsin on Saturday.

“They stayed when they didn’t have to stay,” said head coach P.J. Fleck. “I told them a long time ago they didn’t pick me, but I picked them. That’s the hardest part about cultural changes.”

Some seniors, whose time with the Gophers can date back to 2013, started their collegiate careers under former head coach Jerry Kill. He stepped down as head coach in October of 2015, and subsequently, his defensive coordinator, Tracy Claeys took over for the rest of the season.

Claeys was at the helm for the entirety of the 2016 campaign which saw the Gophers go 9-4 and win a bowl game. After a sexual misconduct scandal and a player boycott, athletics director Mark Coyle made the decision to fire Claeys, and then in January, current head coach P.J. Fleck was hired.

“We will all look back on it and [say], ‘We went through three different coaches,’” said cornerback Adekunle Ayinde. “It’s going to make us better people. It’s just setting us up for later in life.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...seniors-to-play-last-game-at-tcf-bank-stadium

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom