Big NY Times profile: Rick Pitino’s Son Follows in His Footsteps, but Only So Far

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the New York Times:

But Rick Pitino got his first head coaching job, at Boston University, when he was 26. When he was Richard’s age, Rick Pitino was coming off his first Final Four run and was taking over the Knicks. Two years later, he was the head coach at Kentucky. Less than a decade later, he won the first of his two national titles.

Yet Richard Pitino sees the contrast with his father not in terms of achievement, but as one of style.

“I used to argue with my dad all the time,” Richard said. “It was funny, because I said, ‘You were at Providence College for two years, you left and became the head coach of the Knicks, and then the head coach at Kentucky.’”

“I said to him,” Richard added, “You don’t understand, building a program after being one place for one year, at F.I.U. — it’s different than what you did. You were great at it. But I’ve got my other fight. And it takes time.”

For instance, Pitino sees his tenure’s turning point not in the N.I.T. championship he won in his first season nor in last year’s 24-10 campaign, but rather in the Gophers’ forgettable 2015-16 season.

The frequent moves throughout Richard Pitino’s childhood, prompted by his father’s peripatetic career, have had an important influence on him. Richard Pitino seems to have internalized the sort of even-keeled temperament that is often inherited from tumultuous childhoods — like, say, watching his father leave Kentucky for the Boston Celtics and then, a few years later, return to the state to lead Kentucky’s archrival, Louisville.

“All the people that revered him hated him,” Richard said of his father’s return to the Bluegrass State. “All the people who hated him before at Louisville now revered him. So I just understood the absurdity of the world that we live in in sports.”

That is the lesson that Richard Pitino has for his family, including his father, only months after the Pitinos came face to face with another scandal.

“I try to get them to see the world’s going to resume,” he said. “Times will get better.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/24/sports/ncaabasketball/richard-pitino-minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

NYT profile. That's a big deal. Obviously the circumstances are less than ideal, seeing as his father's issues might have peaked the Times' interests, but good for Richard nonetheless

Top Bottom