Pioneer Press: What if the Gophers pull off a shocker against the Badgers?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

There’s a murmur among Gophers diehards: Despite strong evidence, what if this is the year Minnesota knocks off Wisconsin?

It’s a perfectly scripted scene for contrarians to savor. The Badgers are off to a school-record 11-0 start. They’re headed to the Big Ten championship game next weekend, with a potential spot in the College Football Playoff on the line. A loss to Minnesota would severely wound those prospects.

The Gophers are under .500 in new coach P.J. Fleck’s first season, and since 2003, the program has lost 13 straight to the Badgers, including some defeats to squads of lesser quality. Sure, there’s Minnesota’s chance to retain Paul Bunyan’s Axe and secure a bowl berth for a sixth consecutive year, but there also would be schadenfreude on spoiling Wisconsin’s dream season in the process.

“That would be very cool,” said Gophers cornerback Kunle Ayinde, a senior from Blaine. “I mean just winning the Axe is big, getting another opportunity to play with my brothers is big. And if we win, we get another opportunity to play in a bowl game, so all of the opportunities that we have in this game (are) big. It’s something that I hope we take advantage of.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/23/what-if-the-gophers-pull-off-a-shocker-against-the-badgers/

Go Gophers!!

Not sure who he has heard "murmurs" from exactly.
I would say this site has the diehards. No murmurs here. That's for sure.

We've been debating whether or not the +17 is as low as it is because Vegas knows the starters are likely coming out in the second half to rest them for the CCG and CFP.

from a diehard. 60 years worth of diehard Gopher fandom. If Croft rushes for 200 yards, Wisky is in trouble. Oh yeah, put some stickum on the receivers hands!

This will be the worst beat down for Minnesota in the history of the rivalry. (It is difficult to call this a rivalry when you consider that college seniors at Minnesota were 8 years old the last time the Gophers won.

I have never seen a more lopsided matchup when you compare each teams strengths and weaknesses. After the Northwestern game I immediately predicted a 63-3 Badger win. I may want to revise my prediction...I am not confident we will get 3 points.

I want PJ and his staff to stay on the field after the game and watch the Badgers chop down our goal posts. Watch as they stomp on the M at midfield. I want that sight to burn into their souls.

The stadium will be a sea of red and I fear that the low class Badger fans will storm our field after they complete an undefeated regular season. This will be worse than Iowa at the dome tearing down our goal posts.

Hard to beat the goalposts beatdown. For a more recent generation of fan like me (from Glen Mason onward), watching I-O-W-A's asshats try that stunt is my equivalent to the Nebraska 80-whatever shellacking for the slightly older crowd.

Really hard to imagine but the Billds will be there...to the beautiful, bitter, or even middling end.

This will be the worst beat down for Minnesota in the history of the rivalry.

Thanks, Troll. It will be a tough day for us, I wouldn't be surprised by a 40+ point spread and a 300+ yard offensive yardage spread between the two teams at the buzzer. Fadgers will fully dominate both side of the ball - would rather it came from Nebraska and a group of fans with class. I'm really trying to prepare myself for the A-Ho Badger fan at the game like you - your arrogance and unwarranted comments. Fortunately the weather will be quite nice so just going to enjoy the late fall comradery w/ my buddies.

Hey doooosh ... I have been a gopher fan longer than you have been alive. I live in the belly of the beast, Madison. My perspective on the rivalry may be a bit tainted due to the fact I must interact with arrogant Badger/Packer fans daily.

Excuse me for pointing out the reality of the current situation.

This will be the worst beat down for Minnesota in the history of the rivalry. (It is difficult to call this a rivalry when you consider that college seniors at Minnesota were 8 years old the last time the Gophers won.

I have never seen a more lopsided matchup when you compare each teams strengths and weaknesses. After the Northwestern game I immediately predicted a 63-3 Badger win. I may want to revise my prediction...I am not confident we will get 3 points.

Yes, it is a very lopsided matchup but I don't think this will be the worst beatdown in the history of the rivalry. The entire Wisconsin team knows they can, should, and will win this game. The only question is by how much. Given the Gophers' anemic offense, if Wisconsin has a 17 point lead at half, I think they start subbing generously in the second half. Next week is one of the biggest games in their history and I don't think they'll want to risk any significant injuries in this game.

I'm guessing something like 27-10 or 31-14.

Yeah, it'd be great.

If a pot of gold coins landed in my back yard, that would be great too.

Toss a gold coin in the fountain. Then make a golden wish. You won't get your coin back.

You might be right, but we had our day and we will be back.

1 November 15, 1890 Minneapolis, MN Minnesota 63–0
4 November 16, 1893 Minneapolis, MN Minnesota 40–0
26 November 18, 1916 Minneapolis, MN Minnesota 54–0
44 November 24, 1934 Madison, WI Minnesota 34–0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota–Wisconsin_football_rivalry

The Packers were winning NFL championships in this window so if you toss these games out then you have to toss out several NFL titles for the Packers. Actually the run of the Packers NFL titles were close to the Gopher glory days. From 1929 - 1967 the Packers won 11 of their 13 titles and those years mirror the days when the Gophers won 7 National Titles.

I am a big believer in the law of "why the hell not?"

Knock em out of the natty and give Fleck key to the city.

Top Bottom