***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS UMASS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I thought Mason looked better as a freshman too...

I think we'll see McBrayer play the backup point next year, which should be fine. McBrayer has gotten a lot better at handling the ball

Mason was a better player as a freshmen, I agree. That’s not what I said though.

I would love to know why Pitino kept Murphy in the game until two minutes left. The starters are going to have to play heavy minutes in the next two games against Alabama and Miami. Murphy shouldn't have seen the floor for the last 8-10 minutes in the game. Not to mention the entire second half was sloppy and injuries can occur.

I get that the game was over by halftime, and UMASS was completely overmatched, but I hope Pitino gives the team a little bit of an ear full after that very sloppy second half. 29 points is not good. I realize that Pitino was playing the bench quite a bit and trying different lineups, not to mention it's easy for teams to play sloppy in morning games, especially after Thanksgiving, but the ball movement stopped completely in the second half. Way too many 1-on-1 plays and errant shots. Let's hope the team comes in more focused tomorrow.

I would love to know why Pitino kept Murphy in the game until two minutes left. The starters are going to have to play heavy minutes in the next two games against Alabama and Miami. Murphy shouldn't have seen the floor for the last 8-10 minutes in the game. Not to mention the entire second half was sloppy and injuries can occur.

I get that the game was over by halftime, and UMASS was completely overmatched, but I hope Pitino gives the team a little bit of an ear full after that very sloppy second half. 29 points is not good. I realize that Pitino was playing the bench quite a bit and trying different lineups, not to mention it's easy for teams to play sloppy in morning games, especially after Thanksgiving, but the ball movement stopped completely in the second half. Way too many 1-on-1 plays and errant shots. Let's hope the team comes in more focused tomorrow.

Perhaps Pitino wanted to get the backups experience playing with a starter or two.
Perhaps in the era of 4 games in a weekend AAU tourneys the coach wasn’t worried about playing an extra 4 minutes when a practice is more hard work than a game anyways?

Washington looks more comfortable with the ball than any gophers freshmen post Haskins.
He is borderline out-of-control about half the time and can’t hit a jump shot to save his life. And he’s getting beat regularly on defense. That said, he clearly has a “high ceiling” and I prefer pushing the envelope now so he can figure out what is possible and what is not as he transitions to more organized and better competition than he’s ever faced. I’m confident that he will become smarter and more efficient. He has the physical tools for sure.

I think Pitino kept Murphy in late just so that he could secure a double double tbh

He is borderline out-of-control about half the time and can’t hit a jump shot to save his life. And he’s getting beat regularly on defense. That said, he clearly has a “high ceiling” and I prefer pushing the envelope now so he can figure out what is possible and what is not as he transitions to more organized and better competition than he’s ever faced. I’m confident that he will become smarter and more efficient. He has the physical tools for sure.

There are a lot of things you can teach a PG at the college level, but ball handling really isn't one of them. At this point, most of the ball handlings skills need to be mastered. IW can handle the ball, period. The rest will work itself out, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. That's important to keep in mind right now, because he's the starting PG next season or possibly even this season if Mason gets hurt. He HAS to learn how to play team basketball and he has to do it right now. Can you imagine if he had to take over as starter right now? Yikes.

There are a lot of things you can teach a PG at the college level, but ball handling really isn't one of them. At this point, most of the ball handlings skills need to be mastered. IW can handle the ball, period. The rest will work itself out, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. That's important to keep in mind right now, because he's the starting PG next season or possibly even this season if Mason gets hurt. He HAS to learn how to play team basketball and he has to do it right now. Can you imagine if he had to take over as starter right now? Yikes.

Yes, I agree with this. He has the talent, that's for sure. I'm not worried about Washington. Just don't think he is going to be an immediate savior like a lot of people predicted

I'm rewatching the Providence game right now and Isaiah looked so strong that game. can't look at today as indicative of where the kid is at or where he's going

Yes, I agree with this. He has the talent, that's for sure. I'm not worried about Washington. Just don't think he is going to be an immediate savior like a lot of people predicted
Agree.

Agree.

Savior? He came into a top 15 team. We don’t need a savior, we need depth. He provides depth, can score in bunches (Providence game) and is reckless as hell. Take the good with the bad. He is a necessary piece if this team wants to be really special.

I'm rewatching the Providence game right now and Isaiah looked so strong that game. can't look at today as indicative of where the kid is at or where he's going

His shot selection in that game was very good and that's the biggest thing for him. Everything came in rhythm. When that's the case he's a really solid piece. A lot of it comes down to him trusting those bench guys and knowing that if he plays through them they'll make him look good.

His shot selection in that game was very good and that's the biggest thing for him. Everything came in rhythm. When that's the case he's a really solid piece. A lot of it comes down to him trusting those bench guys and knowing that if he plays through them they'll make him look good.
Instead of having Washington sub for McBrayer, I think it would be smarter to play Washington with McBrayer and Coffey as his wings. Washington is at his best when he is pushing the ball up the court, but I just don't have faith in Konate, Fitzgerald, and even Hurt to make plays in transition. Konate and Fitzgerald lack the hands, Hurt is still young and inexperienced.

Plus, Washington is still learning how to orchestrate the half court offense. That's why I think it is imperative for him to be on the floor with McBrayer and Coffey at all times. If Washington is driving and gets clogged in the lane, being able to throw it back to the top of the key for a reset is needed. That's easier when McBrayer and Coffey are on the floor.

Mason is better suited to run the second unit when the rest of the starters are getting rest. Mason is better at finding a shot at this point and I think better equipped, passing wise, to ensure that guys like Fitzgerald and Hurt get the looks they need.

Instead of having Washington sub for McBrayer, I think it would be smarter to play Washington with McBrayer and Coffey as his wings. Washington is at his best when he is pushing the ball up the court, but I just don't have faith in Konate, Fitzgerald, and even Hurt to make plays in transition. Konate and Fitzgerald lack the hands, Hurt is still young and inexperienced.

Plus, Washington is still learning how to orchestrate the half court offense. That's why I think it is imperative for him to be on the floor with McBrayer and Coffey at all times. If Washington is driving and gets clogged in the lane, being able to throw it back to the top of the key for a reset is needed. That's easier when McBrayer and Coffey are on the floor.

Mason is better suited to run the second unit when the rest of the starters is getting rest. Mason is better at finding a shot at this point and I think better equipped, passing wise, to ensure that guys like Fitzgerald and Hurt get the looks they need.

Very well put.

Washington is just learning that this ain't New York street ball anymore. The kid needs to work hard on his defensive game and learn to wait for his opportunities rather than force them. He's gonna get broken down by Pitino before he can really shine. Kid has to figure it out that there is no easy road to success. He's learning. He'll be a really important cog by March.

Just reading the box score http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400986387 Hurt played better than Fitzgerald. I'm surprised and pleased Hurt is playing well. Hopefully, Fitzgerald finds a comfort level and is able to contribute.
IW will figure it out. He played decent versus Providence. I'm guessing he'll play better versus Alabama, especially if there's a crowd and best of all versus Miami. I do believe he likes the spotlight.

Savior? He is a FR PG playing behind an All Big Ten Senior PG on a top 15 team...who needs saving?

If anyone else was like me and missed the game live, it is viewable here: https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeBasketball/videos/779355265584565/

My biggest positive takeaway from this game was the Gophers came out and handled business and put this game away early despite the odd atmosphere and very early start time.

Unfortunately, most of my other observations were negative. Isaiah Washington and Davonte Fitzgerald were both absolute black holes in the second half of this game. They totally destroyed the ball movement and (usually) unselfish play that the starters play with. I absolutely could not believe Jordan Murphy was in a 25 point game with 3 minutes left to play and it's especially bizarre with a big game to play the next day. There's no justification for that in my mind, and I sure hope the reason wasn't to stat pad like it was the last time he was in during garbage time. Bakary had another rough outing, it seems like both his hands and his defensive awareness have somehow regressed from last season. We need him to just do the basics: grab the rebounds in his area, be a deterrent at the rim (he can't jump), and finish at an acceptable rate in the paint while limiting the silly fouls (moving screens, over the back, etc).

Interesting to see the zone mixed in today and Pitino literally having his hands up on the sideline trying to get the guys to put their hands up while moving in the zone. I'll be interested to see if the zone becomes a regular part of our defensive strategy or if it was more used as a leg saver given that the Gophers are playing back to back games.

If anyone else was like me and missed the game live, it is viewable here: https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeBasketball/videos/779355265584565/
Interesting to see the zone mixed in today and Pitino literally having his hands up on the sideline trying to get the guys to put their hands up while moving in the zone. I'll be interested to see if the zone becomes a regular part of our defensive strategy or if it was more used as a leg saver given that the Gophers are playing back to back games.

When I saw that zone I thought we were just practicing for the Michigan State game. Hopefully it will be useful against other teams as well. MSU just looked not nearly as good on offense vs that Duke zone. So much so I figured many teams would try that vs MSU and it's good to see we have that to play. But yeah it needs work.

Washington said on his Instagram that Rick told him he has the potential to average 3 steals a game. Maybe that will fire him up to improve his D effort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom