Game 6: Gophers v Wake Forest in Las Vegas (11-15-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
A Weekend in Vegas

Minnesota (5-0) faces off against Wake Forest (2-2) in a good early season test. Last season the Deacs finished 9th in the ACC with a 6-10 record (16-16 overall). This season they are projected either 11th or 12th. They returned four of five starters.

Wake defeated Texas Southern 73-56 and Richmond 85-81. They’ve lost to Seton Hall, 57-67 and to Rutgers in Piscataway, 51-65.

It’s the Rutgers game that will help us gauge where Minnesota stands in late November. The Scarlet Knights hit the Deacs with a 12-0 run starting the contest and finished the first half holding a 35-24 advantage. Wake Forest turned the ball over 24 times. Turnovers are a problem for Wake. Game by game they were: 23, 17, 23 and 24. Wake’s leading scorer against Rutgers was Ariel Stephenson with 25 points. Stephenson also contributed 6 turnovers. An aggressive D should help Minnesota to a 6-0 record.

Wake struggles from three hitting 16-67 (.239). They average 66.5 points per game while giving up 67.2. The Demon Deacons are coached by Jen Hoover in her sixth season. 9th has been her highest ACC finish.

Players of Note:

5’ 9” Sr G Amber Cambell (12 points/game)
6’3” So F Tyra Whitehead (11.3 points/game and 7.3 rebounds)
6’1” So. G Alex Sharp (the requisite Aussie; 10 points/game)
5’10” Jr G Ariel Stephenson

I'm hoping that the Gophers use their full-court press against a Wake team that turns the ball over frequently. A winnable game against probably the best of teams we've faced so far this year in what has been a remedial schedule.

Destiny Pitts.... 3 threes so far.

Gophers up by 7

30-20 MIN end of Q1

Pitts 10 pts, 4 reb

47-41 MIN at the half

Bell 14 pts, 2 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl

69-60 MIN end of Q3

Bell with 21 pts

93-81 MIN final

Future Lieberman award winner
Bell 23 pts (8-16, 1-1 3P, 6-9 FT), 6 reb, 9 ast, 2 TO, 2 stl
Hubbard 25 pts (7-14, 3-6 3P, 8-8 FT), 1 reb, 3 ast, 1 TO, 2 stl

Stephenson 20 pts (6-18, 5-14 3P, 3-4 FT), 2 reb, 7 ast, 3 TO, 1 stl

Totally forgot about this in the craziness of the men’s game. Nice W!!

UNLV also won today. They are the host school, so it'll be free online video for the game which will be on at the same time tomorrow.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/wake.html

Between the football game and the volleyball match I only caught chunks of the second half on the radio. During one of the breaks I switch over to listen to the men's game. It was right after Mason was ejected etc. etc., brawl, etc. etc. And then that game took on a "can't turn away" train wreck quality. Could the Gophers actually lose playing five on three?

Anyway back to Las Vegas:

This was what a four guard lineup should do. Quite a contrast in the post with T. Bello and Fernstrom splitting time.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):

39 Hubbard
38 Wagner
37 Bell
32 Pitts

20 T. Bello
18 Fernstrom
9 Edwards
3 Brunson
3 Gonzalez
1 Garrido Perez

I too got caught up in the drama of the men's game. I was using Gametracker to follow the women's game. I've noticed a couple of things so far this season. On the BTN telecast of the Xavier game, the announcers made reference that Bell added 12 pounds of muscle in the offseason. Not sure if muscle is measurable or not, but she looks much stronger and she has really improved her assist-to-turnover ratio. I've also noticed that Hubbard can make some good entry passes. And finally, it doesn't seem like Pitts is a first year player. She doesn't seem all that strong considering all the rebounds she gets, but she does have a nose for the ball. And the post minutes in the game against Wake were interesting, as Iggy noted. I'm guessing that this will be a "by committee" position all year, and the coach will go with whomever is playing better against a particular opponent. I'm OK with that position by committee, however I hope that she has an established rotation for the other 4 positions by the time we go into conference play. Brunson and Gonzalez got only 3 minutes each against Wake. I'd like to see more minutes for both of those players , at least in the non-conference games. 39 for Diva, 38 for Carlie, 37 for Kenisha...I'd prefer they didn't play as many minutes, especially with back-to-back games this weekend.

On the BTN telecast of the Xavier game, the announcers made reference that Bell added 12 pounds of muscle in the offseason. Not sure if muscle is measurable or not, but she looks much stronger

They can measure body fat, so if the body fat shrinks while the weight stays the same or increases, then that's muscle weight being added. If they say she added 12 pounds of muscle, I would say they're not making it up.

And finally, it doesn't seem like Pitts is a first year player. She doesn't seem all that strong considering all the rebounds she gets, but she does have a nose for the ball.

She's doing a great job filling that Hedstrom role.

And the post minutes in the game against Wake were interesting, as Iggy noted. I'm guessing that this will be a "by committee" position all year, and the coach will go with whomever is playing better against a particular opponent. I'm OK with that position by committee, however I hope that she has an established rotation for the other 4 positions by the time we go into conference play.

If Ig's numbers are right, that means that Stollings (heaven forbid) actually played two of the big posts together at the same time for a whole 7 minutes.

Brunson and Gonzalez got only 3 minutes each against Wake. I'd like to see more minutes for both of those players , at least in the non-conference games. 39 for Diva, 38 for Carlie, 37 for Kenisha...I'd prefer they didn't play as many minutes, especially with back-to-back games this weekend.

Stolling's plan to decrease Wagner's court time doesn't seem to be panning out, especially in the tougher games like this... and most of the Big 10 games should be tough. It doesn't matter to me. Whatever it takes to win will get no complaints from me.

On the BTN telecast of the Xavier game, the announcers made reference that Bell added 12 pounds of muscle in the offseason. Not sure if muscle is measurable or not, but she looks much stronger and she has really improved her assist-to-turnover ratio.

Marlene mentioned 12 pounds on Tuesday's coaches show and then 10-12 pounds when talking about Bell before the Xavier game. And the additional strength was mentioned in relation to strength and conditioning training. Whatever it is, Bell's become stronger while retaining her speed and quickness. Kiki's become even tougher to guard in the open court, especially with her jumper falling. Stolling's has also mentioned that Bell spent significant off season time watching and learning from video.

Top Bottom