Finally a Nationally Televised Game!?

stocker08

Reaction score
Really? On ABC? Game starts 0-0.....but there is a 17 point spread. Probably should be higher.

Yet our top-15 Gophers bball team is streaming on facebook. Unbelievable.

The B1G Commish want to showcase Wisconsin at the expense of the Gophers. Did the refs get their marching orders?

Really? On ABC? Game starts 0-0.....but there is a 17 point spread. Probably should be higher.

Yet our top-15 Gophers bball team is streaming on facebook. Unbelievable.

Why are you comparing two things that are 100% unrelated?

The B1G Commish want to showcase Wisconsin at the expense of the Gophers. Did the refs get their marching orders?

Nail. On the head.

Big Ten wants casual people/people who know little about football to randomly tune in the game on ABC and go "Holy cow! Wisconsin is beating arch-rival Minnesota 35-0 in the 2nd qtr! This must be the best team in the nation!"

Wisconsin is still in the hunt for a spot in the playoffs. They're a national story. The Gophers were one, but they're not anymore. They will be again if they beat the damn, undefeated Badgers.

Wouldn't that be great. :drink:

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Other way around and the football team would be on BTN and the lousy basketball team would be featured on ESPN.

Okay, but the two are still not related. It's a silly comparison, and honestly as a cord cutter I'm glad to see the basketball game on facebook.

Other way around and the football team would be on BTN and the lousy basketball team would be featured on ESPN.

Early season college basketball would draw a fraction of the rating that the last week of college football will. Incredibly easy decision for the network

Okay, but the two are still not related. It's a silly comparison, and honestly as a cord cutter I'm glad to see the basketball game on facebook.
I suppose. But I'm still a buy everything cable subscriber. Don't care for the $200 a month cost (including internet)....but it allows me to watch anything aired on any channel. That flexibility is worth the cost. Yes..... I've watched games on both the ACC and SEC Networks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Early season college basketball would draw a fraction of the rating that the last week of college football will. Incredibly easy decision for the network
I agree. But over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend? I bet viewership is way up due to the tournament championships and top 25 matchups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nail. On the head.

Big Ten wants casual people/people who know little about football to randomly tune in the game on ABC and go "Holy cow! Wisconsin is beating arch-rival Minnesota 35-0 in the 2nd qtr! This must be the best team in the nation!"

I'd be surprised if even one person on the face of the earth had that reaction.

Wasn't Michigan also a national game (in regards to thread title).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be surprised if even one person on the face of the earth had that reaction.

Wasn't Michigan also a national game (in regards to thread title).

Yep...Night Game on FOX.

This is great. We will get crushed, and the entire nation will laugh at coach Fleck sprinting around the field looking the fool. Well, at least they will sell our outstanding recruiting class - oh wait, it’s just like we’ve had most years in the past.

I'm sure they'll mention on the broadcast that Fleck just got a contract extension. That should help lure any recruits watching the massacre.

A. Every Gophers football game this season has been nationally televised.

B. The conference has no say and no role in deciding which games are broadcast on which network on a week-to-week basis.

This is great. We will get crushed, and the entire nation will laugh at coach Fleck sprinting around the field looking the fool. Well, at least they will sell our outstanding recruiting class - oh wait, it’s just like we’ve had most years in the past.

No one is making you watch. If you’re that embarrassed about it don’t even bother.

You can still spend your time whining and complaining about all things Fleck. Seeing you lose your mind on a daily basis about Fleck is hilarious.

I absolutely love how much PJ grates on the boomer curmudgeon segment of the fan base. The sooner we purge these whiners, the better.

No one is making you watch. If you’re that embarrassed about it don’t even bother.

You can still spend your time whining and complaining about all things Fleck. Seeing you lose your mind on a daily basis about Fleck is hilarious.

Yep, daily. Losing sleep.

I absolutely love how much PJ grates on the boomer curmudgeon segment of the fan base. The sooner we purge these whiners, the better.

Yep, the program can really afford to lose longtime season ticket holders. We just have fans busting down the doors.

Younger Boomer here . Not grumpy and support PJF so U might want to ease up on the generalizations.

There is still something about being on broadcast network TV that is special to fans, especially if it's the ABC prime time game or the CBS SEC game, but to be honest every Gopher football game has been available nationally to anyone who wanted to make the effort to see it (that might mean subscribing to cable, satellite or some other service, but the games have been there). That the game made ABC is entirely due to Wisconsin's current record and ranking since Fox has Ohio State-Michigan this year and that left ABC/ESPN without a lot of other top level options for its obligation to air a Big Ten game at that time.

There is still something about being on broadcast network TV that is special to fans, especially if it's the ABC prime time game or the CBS SEC game, but to be honest every Gopher football game has been available nationally to anyone who wanted to make the effort to see it (that might mean subscribing to cable, satellite or some other service, but the games have been there). That the game made ABC is entirely due to Wisconsin's current record and ranking since Fox has Ohio State-Michigan this year and that left ABC/ESPN without a lot of other top level options for its obligation to air a Big Ten game at that time.

*cough*And Delany wanted Wisconsin on national TV, to showcase the team to the CFP selection committee*cough*

*cough*And Delany wanted Wisconsin on national TV, to showcase the team to the CFP selection committee*cough*

I doubt a solid majority of the committee watches anywhere close to the relevant games of the contenders. These are busy people and many/most are business people, not full-time football coaches and analysts or scouts. They certainly won't sit through a Wisconsin game vs a bad MN team.

As always, who knows how they arrive at their decisions? Resume, i.e. quality wins/bad losses, advanced stats, conference champs. I'd bet a lot of hardware it does not include watching the games. You trust Mark Coyle to pick the CFP field? Not me.

Good thing he isn't on the committee then.

He's an AD, like three quarters of the committee. Looking at the resumes, there are 4 former head coaches on the panel. All I'm saying is the committee is very likely an imperfect way to pick the final 4 vs a cleaner method, eg conference champs and a computer or poll-selected at-large team (or teams).

Definitely boomer and often curmudgeon. But not about PJ; rather by someone clueless enough to generalize about a group that has stuck with the program through over 50 years of often mediocre football teams. Some of what PJ does definitely baffles me, but I'm smart enough to know that he has a plan that worked wonderfully once before and am willing to see it develop. FYI, the folks of my vintage who are avid Gopher fans almost to a person have the same attitude toward him: very realistic about this team and not waiting to pounce on his every statement. Fairly certain the grating is spread out over all the generations and the nastier snarkiness comes from younger generations than us.

I will say this, in my opinion: it is absolutely correct for Big Ten teams to hire whichever MAC coach has taken one of their teams, turned it around, and won the conference.

The MAC is an excellent proving ground for head coaches. True, some don't work out for various reasons, but I would be 100% just fine taking whichever MAC head coach is the hottest at that time, for the next head coach.

Top Bottom