QB, OL.

balds

Reaction score
This is how you make the leap. Wisconsin/Iowa with the OL, Purdue with Brees, IL with Juice, MSU with the line and Cousins, NW in the mid 90's.... Will that ever be us?

Fleck has a a decent history developing QB, OL (and WR). So did Kill, but it absolutely didn't happen here and was our achilles heel.

I have always said, the Mason offense that was built here with the Claeys defense would have been something to see.

I have always said, the Mason offense that was built here with the Claeys defense would have been something to see.

Actually this offense would be a lot more effective with Gordie Shaw as the OLine coach. He was the real reason Mace had so much success running the ball. Heard he say more than once, Gordie was the best hire he ever made.

This thread could be amended to QB, LOL

J/k. I actually hold out a lot of hope for DC11.

Starting multiple Jucos and freshmen on the o-line isn’t a recipe for success. Most savvy posters realized this before the season started.

Why would it matter if they are JuCos if they were returning?

Underclassmen? Yeah, there is absolutely nothing savvy about realizing that starting a young team is not ideal.

Is starting Merrick Jackson over Stetler a bad situation?
Remember when the Gophers started Damien Wilson and Devondre Campbell? Gasp!

Why would it matter if they are JuCos if they were returning?

Underclassmen? Yeah, there is absolutely nothing savvy about realizing that starting a young team is not ideal.

Is starting Merrick Jackson over Stetler a bad situation?
Remember when the Gophers started Damien Wilson and Devondre Campbell? Gasp!

Unfortunately, our Juco o-linemen were the result of recruiting failures and not opportunistic additions. Campbell and Wilson are both playing on Sundays. Our Juco O-linemen won’t be.

Yeah, if only the Gopher football program could reach the astonishing heights that Illinois has reached since Juice came through.

Yeah, if only the Gopher football program could reach the astonishing heights that Illinois has reached since Juice came through.

Beat Wisconsin, Penn St., won in Columbus, played in the Rose Bowl. I'd take it.

Mason was an offensive genius, still is if you ever get a chance to listen to him. Claeys was a defensive mastermind. Gophers have never really managed to put it together on both sides of the ball though.
If we had an average QB and receiving core last year then Claeys would have been tough to beat. Limegrover had really been holding him back.

Unfortunately, our Juco o-linemen were the result of recruiting failures and not opportunistic additions. Campbell and Wilson are both playing on Sundays. Our Juco O-linemen won’t be.

Sure. But that wasn't your point. You said that savvy posters saw JuCo lineman and knew. You have now changes what you originally meant or you were horrible at articulating your original point

Those JuCo lineman were brought in to patch together an offensive line last year (when we went 9-4).

Granted, the fact that we had to go out and add a bunch of JuCo lineman was a sign of recruiting failures by Kill. But that's a different argument than what you originally made.

The fact that we are starting JuCos should not signal anything to you - - some of the best Gophers in the past few years are JuCos.
The fact that you think it's savvy to think it's a problem to start young OL, well, yeah, that's a problem. I guess that's a savvy take??

I take it as an after-action view we should have all seen the (likely) 5 win season coming because #JUCO disease and other problems. There is a flurry of activity of I told you so's across the sites - to be expected.

Actually this offense would be a lot more effective with Gordie Shaw as the OLine coach. He was the real reason Mace had so much success running the ball. Heard he say more than once, Gordie was the best hire he ever made.

Shaw did a nice job here, but if he were this wizard so many contend he is, he wouldn't be the offensive coordinator at a D2 school.

Disappointing season for sure, but the thing that has been made ever more clear to me is how absolutely crucial QB play is. It's the most important position on the field and not having consistent play at the position has really held us back this year and it's been obvious.

Top Bottom