Do you agree with Mark Coyle's decision to give Fleck a one-year extension?

Do you agree with Mark Coyle's decision to give Fleck a one-year extension?

• Yes, Mark Coyle made the right decision to give Fleck a one-year extension.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • No, Fleck has not done enough to deserve a one-year extension.

Votes: 29 24.4%

• Total voters
Our team was 43% freshman and another 27% sophomores. Give him time to implement and develop his program. Let’s not be like Nebraska fans and demand our coach be fired on an annual basis. To give up on him after a year is ignorant.

The most misleading and ridiculous stat ever. Just from a theoretical perspective with evenly allocated classes between Fr, rFr, So, Jr And sr 40% of your scholarship players are Fr and rFr. 60% are Fr, rFr and So. Of the additional 20 other PWO allowed on the roster a preponderance of them are also underclassmen. Thus underclassmen prevalence getting to 43% of the roster being Fr and rFr is not uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see how it can really hurt, but can see how it could possibly help. Getting it done before 12/20 and before a possible brutalizing by the Badger's at TCF on Saturday and the resultant 5-7 season, is a very good idea.

If the near impossible happens and they beat the Badgers on Saturday it's a great idea.

Maybe the most unnecessary extension ever. No one else wants him and he was already locked up for a while.
That's not the main reason. You want to give potential recruits, who like the coach, confidence that he'll be around when they're seniors.

What's the cost? Probably a higher buy out, but you don't even want to think that might happen.

Sorry if someone else said this down thread. I didn't have the time to read three pages worth.

100%. Great decision by Coyle! Smooth move.

If this means that on Monday he can recruit with less phone calls hitting his phone, all the better.

Does anyone know how to vote on Tapatalk?

What’s your point?

For the first time in my lifetime we hired our first choice coach. We are trying something different to hopefully change the 50 yr history. I plan to give it some time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes

Does anyone know how to vote on Tapatalk?

Click on the "..." in the upper right and choose "web-view"

Absolutely. Kids and parents need to see a commitment from the administration.

Click on the "..." in the upper right and choose "web-view"

Thank you sir! They don’t make it easy, it doesn’t automatically log you in when you click web view either. This is not elite.

Thank you sir! They don’t make it easy, it doesn’t automatically log you in when you click web view either. This is not elite.

Once you login once on the web view it will (should) remember you.

I wanted Pitino out after 2015-16 and what a horrible mistake that would have been. I am disappointed in Fleck so far but I still have hope he can fulfill his promise.

I wanted Pitino out after 2015-16 and what a horrible mistake that would have been. I am disappointed in Fleck so far but I still have hope he can fulfill his promise.

Until Pitino sprints to the other side of the court between quarters, I want him gone.

A few thoughts, first those who think this is the "most unnecessary extension ever" have short memories or haven't been fans of Gopher football very long. Jerry Kill got two more years added to his deal in year 1 while he was 1-6 and losing B1G games by an average margin of 38 points (refresher: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-coach-jerry-kill-signs-seven-year-contract). Nobody was going after Kill before the Gophers hired him and nobody was going after him then.

The thing I like most about the extension that it sends a clear message to those that aren't on "the boat" that PJ is the guy here and the administration believes in him despite the record this year. If you are a fan that doesn't like Fleck, it seems like you have a choice to make because he's going to get time to do things his way.

The thing I dislike most about the extension is the press release. Much like the ridiculous "9 wins for only the second time since X", the University is making itself look horrible. Winning your first game against Buffalo means next to nothing, as does winning your first road game, and 5 wins in a first year in an era where teams play 12 is certainly nothing deserving recognition either. Just say you believe in PJ and his vision and be done with it. He will either succeed or fail and the administration (mostly Coyle) will be judged on whether or not Coach Fleck succeeds. If PJ is bought out in 3 or 4 years, I don't think "he won 5 games in his first year!" will satisfy anyone as a reason to extend the coach and increase the buyout.

I do think it was smart to make this public prior to the Wisconsin game as I feel like Saturday is going to be quite demoralizing as a Gopher fan (AGAIN).

I was happy to see that 3 in 4 Gopher fans agreed with the extension on the poll so far. It shows that more people are either buying in to PJ or simply want to give him a real chance than it sometimes appears on this board.

I think it improves his ability to recruit. This class needs to finish strong. It is not what I had hoped for yet. It certainly still can be. It also has an effect on 2019. We need those two Minnesota linemen to commit early. I woulds like to see him upgrade his staff also. We aren't coaching up the talent very well.

I support the extension as a strategy, not a reward.

A few thoughts, first those who think this is the "most unnecessary extension ever" have short memories or haven't been fans of Gopher football very long. Jerry Kill got two more years added to his deal in year 1 while he was 1-6 and losing B1G games by an average margin of 38 points (refresher: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rs-coach-jerry-kill-signs-seven-year-contract). Nobody was going after Kill before the Gophers hired him and nobody was going after him then.

The thing I like most about the extension that it sends a clear message to those that aren't on "the boat" that PJ is the guy here and the administration believes in him despite the record this year. If you are a fan that doesn't like Fleck, it seems like you have a choice to make because he's going to get time to do things his way.

The thing I dislike most about the extension is the press release. Much like the ridiculous "9 wins for only the second time since X", the University is making itself look horrible. Winning your first game against Buffalo means next to nothing, as does winning your first road game, and 5 wins in a first year in an era where teams play 12 is certainly nothing deserving recognition either. Just say you believe in PJ and his vision and be done with it. He will either succeed or fail and the administration (mostly Coyle) will be judged on whether or not Coach Fleck succeeds. If PJ is bought out in 3 or 4 years, I don't think "he won 5 games in his first year!" will satisfy anyone as a reason to extend the coach and increase the buyout.

I do think it was smart to make this public prior to the Wisconsin game as I feel like Saturday is going to be quite demoralizing as a Gopher fan (AGAIN).

I was happy to see that 3 in 4 Gopher fans agreed with the extension on the poll so far. It shows that more people are either buying in to PJ or simply want to give him a real chance than it sometimes appears on this board.

I think I agree with all of this. Well stated.

BTW - I don't like PJ, but voted yes. At the end of the day I think most people on here that don't like him still think he can succeed and want him to succeed. Those are separate entities. I haven't seen anyone that thinks he should be fired. No one wants to go through another change or year zero.

I think the commitment is good. You have to give him a few years to get all his stuff in place. If at year 3 or 4 he is not showing what was expected then you can probably guess where that's headed. I don't care where you are at in your opinion of PJF but you cannot fault him for wanting greatness in the program. Not small bowl games, not 6 win seasons and "we made a bowl game". It's going to whole other level, a level not seen in 50 years. Can he do that? I sure have my doubts but I'm not going to stop the man from doing everything he can to get that program here. He's young enough, passionate enough and has that kind of drive that very few people possess to it. Success is rarely a straight trajectory, there will be ups and downs and we are in a down hopefully the up starts this Saturday!

The same people were bitching and more when fans,boosters,media were trying to run Pitino out of town after 8 win team. Glad we locked him up and didn’t listen to the none sense.

Kill worked his first 8 months without a signed contract...that seven years was his original contract. Got one-year extension in 2014.

Yeah, not sure where the poster got his info.

Also remember many (me included) had a similar WTF moment with the 7-year contract... i.e. unnecessary and an overreaction. I feel the same with this one. Adds $1M to his payback for leaving before 1/1/2018, but increases U's buyout by $3.5M if they fire his before 1/1/2018. Gives you a flavor of what I see as a wild overreaction by Coyle.

Kill worked his first 8 months without a signed contract...that seven years was his original contract. Got one-year extension in 2014.

Just because he didn't sign a contract until the 7 year deal, doesn't mean he wasn't working off of an original agreement. He and the staff didn't work the first 8 months for free.

Be prepared and be patient.

It will take four to six years IMHO to build a program with stability and strong foundation.

We can't do that if we continue to have a revolving door for coaches every three to four years.

Be mindful that other rival programs are getting better or trying to.

i really don't care how long it is. it should be 10 years but with a really low buy out if he ends up sucking. huge buy out on PJ's side if he wants to leave after winning here

Top Bottom