Do you agree with Mark Coyle's decision to give Fleck a one-year extension?

• Yes, Mark Coyle made the right decision to give Fleck a one-year extension.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • No, Fleck has not done enough to deserve a one-year extension.

Votes: 29 24.4%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I wish it was another 5 years. I am still on the boat and like the energy and passion he brings to the program.

His original contract was long enough to prove himself so I'm not sure why we extended it before he proved himself.

But if we had reason to believe another school was after him and he might leave, it makes much more sense.

Yes, despite that this season was disappointing (not over, either). Fleck is too driven to settle for mediocrity - he'll either recruit and coach winning teams or burst apart in a spectacular explosion. Like others, he's on a learning curve in his first year in the B1G. I just hope the Gophers hang in there Saturday and don't get blown out by a really good Badger team. Six years of PJ should work out.

Maybe the most unnecessary extension ever. No one else wants him and he was already locked up for a while.

I wish it was another 5 years. I am still on the boat and like the energy and passion he brings to the program.

As long as PJ is passionate and hyper, we can lose 39-0 every game. This program is about having fun. Wins are not necessary

As long as PJ is passionate and hyper, we can lose 39-0 every game. This program is about having fun. Wins are not necessary

Our team was 43% freshman and another 27% sophomores. Give him time to implement and develop his program. Let’s not be like Nebraska fans and demand our coach be fired on an annual basis. To give up on him after a year is ignorant.

Not giving up on him. Extension was unnecessary. That’s the point I was making.

Yes. Absolutely. Change we want takes a lot of time. This sends a great message to players, coaches, fans, faculty and opponents that MN is serious. Strategy of this magnitude is multi faceted and complex. There are a lot of things that need to be put in place for a strong foundation. Things that aren't always visible, (like rebar in cement) but are necessary for it to work completely, properly and long term. A remodeling job gets messy, especially if you are living in the same space. I am happy the U seems to be committed to the process! This is just part of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our team was 43% freshman and another 27% sophomores. Give him time to implement and develop his program. Let’s not be like Nebraska fans and demand our coach be fired on an annual basis. To give up on him after a year is ignorant.

Are you counting true Fr/So or total including RS?

RS as well. Saw the stat on an ESPN article.

Fleck has almost exactly the same percent - 68% - of Fr/So total here this year as his 2016 WMU team. Although he has more total Fr here at the U compared to WMU, 13 are RS FR compared to 7 on his 2016 WMU team.

I'd expect this to be an annual event for a few years to ensure the numbers are competitive.

As much as I dislike AD Coyle he does appear to be willing to write checks. That's an institutional need at this time.

I'm surprised by how lopsided the poll is.

It shows the bottom 20% complains 80 percent of the time.

Fine with me. Rolling another year on to the end is normal. As far as we know, the buyout won't be more than $ 1.5 million. If we were tearing up the first contract and writing new 5 year deal, that would be a problem.

With the great increase in ticket sales including season tickets purchased, the way we lost very few 4th quarter leads and with the renewed excitement swelling to extremes never before seen, why not. Merrily,merrily down the stream.

100 percent agree. They need to do everything in their power to maintain positive momentum, keep things looking positive from the outside looking in. They can’t control everything, but this is one thing they can control. STABILITY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Absolutely. Change we want takes a lot of time. This sends a great message to players, coaches, fans, faculty and opponents that MN is serious. Strategy of this magnitude is multi faceted and complex. There are a lot of things that need to be put in place for a strong foundation. Things that aren't always visible, (like rebar in cement) but are necessary for it to work completely, properly and long term. A remodeling job gets messy, especially if you are living in the same space. I am happy the U seems to be committed to the process! This is just part of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Love it, couldn’t agree more.

...we're on year 50...

What’s your point?

For the first time in my lifetime we hired our first choice coach. We are trying something different to hopefully change the 50 yr history. I plan to give it some time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can we learn the buyout details before voting? Seriously, how can you vote w/o knowing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your point?

For the first time in my lifetime we hired our first choice coach. We are trying something different to hopefully change the 50 yr history. I plan to give it some time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
50 more years?

I don't mind the extension if it helped make the buyout more drastic.

I think PJ can coach and this program needs stability.

PAYING P.J.

The financials of P.J. Fleck's original five-year, $18 million deal, and his one-year extension for 2022:

base SALARIES per season

2017 $3.5 million 2019 $3.6 million 2021 $3.7 million

2018 $3.55 million 2020 $ 3.65 million 2022 $3.75 million

BUYOUTS

Buyout terms of Fleck's contract were amended:

If he's fired: Amount owed to Fleck if he is fired by the Gophers …

on Jan. 1, 2018: $12.5M

on Jan. 1, 2019: $9M

on Jan. 1, 2020: $5.5M

on Jan. 1, 2021: $3M

on Jan. 1, 2022: $1.5M

(Note: buyouts are prorated, if termination occurs mid-year.)

If he leaves for another job:

Amount Fleck owes back to the Gophers if he leaves …

before 2018 season: $5M

before 2019 season: $4M

before 2020 season: $3M

before 2021 season: $2M

before 2022 season: $1M

There should be button for "who cares?". One year extensions are nothing to get excited or upset about.

Top Bottom