STrib: Davonte Fitzgerald healthy and ready to fill Gophers backup PF role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

When the Gophers landed Davonte Fitzgerald as a transfer from Texas A&M two years ago, he was looked at as a potential starting forward with all-conference upside.

After recovering from a second major knee injury, Fitzgerald needed time just to get healthy let alone become an impact player. But Tuesday’s 13-point, eight-rebound performance in a 100-57 win against Alabama A&M was a glimpse at what he could bring off the bench this season.

“I’m just taking every game, trying to get better,” Fitzgerald said. “It was a good game and a stepping stone. Just trying to use this game to propel forward, especially health-wise."

On one play in the second half, the 6-foot-8, 220-pound Georgia native pump faked a defender took a few dribbles under the basket, jumped 180 degrees and threw down an emphatic one-hand slam, his first official dunk in maroon and gold.

The spring in his legs are definitely back.

“The rehab was really good,” Fitzgerald said. “I haven’t been cautious at all. I feel really good out there. That’s a plus for me and a credit to the training staff and the doctors getting me ready.”

“Davonte’s grown a lot since he first came back,” Murphy said. “He’s in great shape right now. To his credit, he’s been in the gym extra and working on his shot and working on different post moves. He deserves this moment.”

http://m.startribune.com/davonte-fi...hers-backup-pf-role/459332643/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom