Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

This is a good move.

Coyle hired one of the more highly sought after coaches last year and he's still highly sought after (it appears) this year.
If you want a stable program, you need to keep the head coach.

Someone tell me has there been another school that extended a head coach before the first season was even over?. Why didn't they offer a longer contract to start with?. Not against this but seems a bit silly with the initial contract barely dry. Is this just as silly as extending a coach right before you fire him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fans love this. The trolls hate this!

Both fans?

Have you seen the empty seats at TCF?

I don’t think it’s the wrong move, assuming Coyle got something in return.

I think Coyle was in a rush to get it done so that he could win the TOY award.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's in month 10 of a five year contract. They are worried he will get plucked in year zero?

Evidently, other big name programs must be calling.
If you have something that is good, others will want it.
Be thankful for what you have this Thanksgiving, PMWinSTP.

Love it! Row the damn Boat!!! Ski U Mah for years Coach Fleck!!!! This tells me Coach Gleck wants to be here! Now Minnesotan’s need to get behind this program in a big way and support it big time because he’s going to be here awhile! It’s Minnesota’s only D1 team! It’s the state of Minnesota’s team! It’s the Pride of Minnesota!

This is interesting. Either protecting the investment, anticipating good things, or making a mistake. Time will tell. I'm ok with it because he's the coach and you have to support him. Now if we had 3 straight seasons of this year I wouldn't be in favor but since he's in his first year (not zero in my world) he deserves all the chances he gets to put in his system, recruit his guys, coach the way he wants, etc. Product on the field will eventually tell the tale, let's see what happens.

Contracts really aren't worth the paper they are written on in many cases. Until we know the buyout details we don't really know what this means - if anything.

This is also good publicity and gets the program on the radio and in the news as a talker for the day.

Shows Coyle knows what he’s doing. Smart move!

Contracts really aren't worth the paper they are written on in many cases. Until we know the buyout details we don't really know what this means - if anything.

Exactly. The buy out (from both sides- PJ fired and PJ leaving) is all that matters. If he has one very good year in 18,19 or 20, this contract will be torn up anyway.

Don't like it... Come on, first year and he didn't win anything worth mentioning. In fact, he lost to a couple teams he should have beaten. I'm not saying he should have been fired but to give him an extension? So what if someone was going to steal him away, if they were willing to take a chance on someone who has done nothing in his first year, so be it. Brohm has done more with less at Purdue this year. The excuse of us not being talented at skilled positions just doesn't cut it, as we never had any talent at those positions the past 4 years and we won as much as 9 games.

That’s right, cause true fans love Coach Fleck

Fans love it. "Fans" don't. You have to love everything to be a true fan. Motherhood and apple pie.

This is interesting. Either protecting the investment, anticipating good things, or making a mistake. Time will tell. I'm ok with it because he's the coach and you have to support him. Now if we had 3 straight seasons of this year I wouldn't be in favor but since he's in his first year (not zero in my world) he deserves all the chances he gets to put in his system, recruit his guys, coach the way he wants, etc. Product on the field will eventually tell the tale, let's see what happens.

He's 10 months into a 5 year contract. It's a wild overreaction.

Man, I get shredded on here months ago saying I'd extend Fleck. Looks like Coyle and I are on the same page.

For those saying this is good strategy wouldn't you have to agree that writing the initial contract to 2023 would have been better strategy?.

Man, I get shredded on here months ago saying I'd extend Fleck. <b>Looks like Coyle and I are on the same page.</b>

This is a good thing?

This is a good move.

Coyle hired one of the more highly sought after coaches last year and he's still highly sought after (it appears) this year.
If you want a stable program, you need to keep the head coach.

Now the next move by Mark Coyle is to get Gopher Football and Basketball back on WCCO. It is the conduit to reconnecting the U and Gopher sports with all of Minnesota. Stupid move years ago to move away from it.

He had a 5 year contract. Adding a sixth year to it provides more stability?

The fact that 5 wins is the most for a first-year coach since Warmath is both depressing and eye-opening. Really shows how bad Gopher football has been for a half-century.

As such, I like the move to extend Fleck despite the fact that he hasn't shown a ton in year 1 (offensively I attribute this to flat out lack of talent left by the previous staff on all offensive positions besides RB) because we really don't have much to lose. Best case scenario is Fleck uses his charisma, paired with the new facilities, to recruit better athletes that can get us on par with Wisconsin in terms of talent and consistency. Worst case scenario is that Minnesota stays somewhere on the line between atrocious and mediocre (defined here as beating the crappy BIG teams, going 500 against okay BIG teams, and rarely/never beating the top teams with middling fan support). I think Fleck showed enough at WMU for the U to fully invest in him and hope that it's the breakthrough we've all been looking for.

Don't like it... Come on, first year and he didn't win anything worth mentioning. In fact, he lost to a couple teams he should have beaten. I'm not saying he should have been fired but to give him an extension? So what if someone was going to steal him away, if they were willing to take a chance on someone who has done nothing in his first year, so be it. Brohm has done more with less at Purdue this year. The excuse of us not being talented at skilled positions just doesn't cut it, as we never had any talent at those positions the past 4 years and we won as much as 9 games.

Right. And he also just lost the only qb he recruited

Top Bottom