Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

My best buddy, who is a former starting QB at UT asked me the following other day:

Why did Minnesota give Fleck an extension? Do people in Minnesota actually buy in to the "Row The Boat" mantra, your coach seems like a clown, why would Minnesota let him bring that RTB and make it such a big part of your program, no other school would do that?

Just thought I would share what seems to be fair questions from an outsider and a person that knows college football.

I also support anyone that is our head coach, but I left my blinders at the door.

My best buddy, who is a former starting QB at UT asked me the following other day:

Why did Minnesota give Fleck an extension? Do people in Minnesota actually buy in to the "Row The Boat" mantra, your coach seems like a clown, why would Minnesota let him bring that RTB and make it such a big part of your program, no other school would do that?

Just thought I would share what seems to be fair questions from an outsider and a person that knows college football.

I also support anyone that is our head coach, but I left my blinders at the door.

Yet the Gophers only have 1 less win than Texas with about half the talent. Weird.

Well, there you have it. Time to move on to another coach.

Sure but maybe Texas could use a 'clown' or a little 'RTB' since they have been massive underachievers for about 9 years now.

This may be the dumbest response I have ever heard! Again, it is not a commentary on Texas football, it is a comment and questions from someone who has lived it and thinks Minnesota deserves better than to be reduced to a stupid RTB slogan. His comment is spot on, no helmet school would let this happen! As far as your comment goes, Texas has won and played in another BCS Championship in the last 12 years.

This may be the dumbest response I have ever heard! Again, it is not a commentary on Texas football, it is a comment and questions from someone who has lived it and thinks Minnesota deserves better than to be reduced to a stupid RTB slogan. His comment is spot on, no helmet school would let this happen! As far as your comment goes, Texas has won and played in another BCS Championship in the last 12 years.

It's his tired bit...the qualifier or pivot response.

It was a comment from someone who you said played QB at Texas to give credibility to your story. So it's dumb to give a few shots back at Texas who should never be bad, but have been mediocre to bad for almost a decade now?

You're probably right, a helmet school wouldn't let that happen. Minnesota has been a losing program for 50 years and is nowhere even close to a helmet school. Most people around the country view us as no different than Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois and the rest of the lowest tier P5 programs.

Hookstad: Gophers Football Rewarding Losing With Contract Extension Is Classic Minnesota

This is why Minnesota will never be good, and why they will continue to get dominated every single year by the Wisconsin Badgers. The Gophers are 5-6. That’s so embarrassing that none of the players or coaches should ever show their faces in public.

How do you extend the contract of a coach who has only won five games? Rewarding failure is not how you turn programs around. I want to laugh at this, but it’s so disgusting that I can’t. I just feel pity for these losers.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/22/g...with-contract-extension-is-classic-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Hookstad: Gophers Football Rewarding Losing With Contract Extension Is Classic Minnesota

This is why Minnesota will never be good, and why they will continue to get dominated every single year by the Wisconsin Badgers. The Gophers are 5-6. That’s so embarrassing that none of the players or coaches should ever show their faces in public.

How do you extend the contract of a coach who has only won five games? Rewarding failure is not how you turn programs around. I want to laugh at this, but it’s so disgusting that I can’t. I just feel pity for these losers.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/22/g...with-contract-extension-is-classic-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Lol, the daily caller?

We're not a helmet school so saying a helmet school wouldn't do this is irrelevant.

I've talked to non-MN fans as well. Some like him and some don't. Not really surprising. I do find it hard to take someone's opinion serious when they're name-calling though.

I will continue to say it all comes down to the wins and losses. If we were winning right now, most people wouldn't care that much about the RTB and other stuff.

Yet the Gophers only have 1 less win than Texas with about half the talent. Weird.

What on earth does this have to do with the post you quoted? He told a story about someone outside our program, yet knows football, and how he views PJ. Since you can't allow anything negative to be said about PJ you respond with Texas underachieving. Hmm. You can see why I am so puzzled. Well, at least you left TC alone on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What on earth does this have to do with the post you quoted? He told a story about someone outside our program, yet knows football, and how he views PJ. Since you can't allow anything negative to be said about PJ you respond with Texas underachieving. Hmm. You can see why I am so puzzled. Well, at least you left TC alone on this one.

I already explained why. I think it's funny and hypocritical for a Texas alum to criticize another schools coaching situation considering their own coaching incompetencies over the past 8 seasons. Texas should be competing for national titles every year with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St etc.

I already explained why. I think it's funny and hypocritical for a Texas alum to criticize another schools coaching situation considering their own coaching incompetencies over the past 8 seasons. Texas should be competing for national titles every year with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St etc.

Wait a minute, you're saying coaching matters. We have a breakthrough. Money, facilities, fan and booster support, deep talent pool and yet Texas has struggled. Motivation of prima donnas? Xs and Os? Injuries? Assistant turnover? Texas is as bad as TCU has been good in that state and it probably comes down to one thing. I'll leave that one thing unwritten. USC at least has the sanctions to blame for a decade of irrelevance.

So if you are an alum of a school who has made poor coaching choices you are not entitled to an opinion on other school's hires? Seems a bit harsh.

Personally, I thought the post was very relevant. A couple times I have posted how an extremely high percentage of folks I know that aren't on this site (friends, family, coworkers) view PJ as a clown and am met with the expected denial, delusional views, stick fingers in ears responses. Can't be. Crazy talk. Must work with old farts, etc. Seems HoustonTX found the other outlier out there. More support for my crusade.

So if you are an alum of a school who has made poor coaching choices you are not entitled to an opinion on other school's hires? Seems a bit harsh.

Personally, I thought the post was very relevant. A couple times I have posted how an extremely high percentage of folks I know that aren't on this site (friends, family, coworkers) view PJ as a clown and am met with the expected denial, delusional views, stick fingers in ears responses. Can't be. Crazy talk. Must work with old farts, etc. Seems HoustonTX found the other outlier out there. More support for my crusade.

Weird, I've met a lot that are impressed with Fleck, and think he'll be great here. Especially after 'Being PJ Fleck' aired. And what crusade are you leading? You want everyone to hate Fleck but still want Fleck to succeed right? Makes a lot of sense.

Weird, I've met a lot that are impressed with Fleck, and think he'll be great here. Especially after 'Being PJ Fleck' aired. And what crusade are you leading? You want everyone to hate Fleck but still want Fleck to succeed right? Makes a lot of sense.

Looking in the mirror doesn't count...

The section of the fan base that is so offended by everything Fleck act as if it’s personal. How unfair that you have to put up with RTB. How could the U do this to you. How can you ever face your friends again. The horror of it all.

It's not hypocritical and my friend is just as quick to criticize the hiring of Charlie Strong which he thought was a terrible and boring hire. It's simply an opinion of someone that understands college football at a level that most of us haven't experienced. My buddy is always happy for me when the Gophs are playing well. If you don't understand that, "Being PJ Fleck" and "RTB" and all the other "Feckisms" are a bit over the top and a bit of a clown show than you aren't being honest with yourself.

It's not hypocritical and my friend is just as quick to criticize the hiring of Charlie Strong which he thought was a terrible and boring hire. It's simply an opinion of someone that understands college football at a level that most of us haven't experienced. My buddy is always happy for me when the Gophs are playing well. If you don't understand that, "Being PJ Fleck" and "RTB" and all the other "Feckisms" are a bit over the top and a bit of a clown show than you aren't being honest with yourself.

Do I think they are a bit over the top? Yes. Do I think PJ is a clown? No. Do I think it'll lead to a lot of success here? Yes.

I also think Texas should have given Strong another year.

Everyone go to your boss tomorrow and say “don’t worry about my results . . . Let’s look at failure as growth!” Nice. Only in an alternative universe is this even a thing. For some reason we buy it here though.

Correct. It will be news when he is not extended a year.

Agreed 100%. In college football head coaching, your future with your current school is so bright you gotta wear shades .... until it suddenly isn't.

That's how it has to be, to prevent recruits (who are committing potentially the next five years to the school) from being scared off.

I read other forums a lot and none of those fans are starting QB's at Texas or ever have been.

With that said, some view Minnesota as that second tier in the west.

Tier 1
Wiscosin

Tier 1.5
Iowa

Tier 2
NW
Minnesota
Nebraska

Tier 3
Purdue, Illinois

Also some of them think Fleck was an amazing hire by the U and they wish they had Fleck (this was earlier this year however).
Also, others say he's Brewster 2.0 and he'll be gone after 3 years.

Keep in mind, none of these started as QB at any big program.

Everyone go to your boss tomorrow and say “don’t worry about my results . . . Let’s look at failure as growth!” Nice. Only in an alternative universe is this even a thing. For some reason we buy it here though.

Go to your boss tomorrow and dump water on him for having success. Football is an alternative universe.

PJ’s whole shtick is you can apply HYPPER - or whatever the heck acronym he pulled out of thin air - to life and business. Watch it again.

Top Bottom