Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

The best part about Fleck is how those infatuated with hating all things non football related about him come on GHole daily to whine and complain about it.

Provides hours of entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty “football related” things to not like. Where to begin is the difficulty. Giving up historic rushing yards late in the year (to ok to sort of “decent” offenses) is one, by way of example. Which means we are regressing. But, there’s much more that won’t be gone into here. His blathering nonsense is really the least of most people’s objection to him (at least those who have observed this product closely).

Everyone go to your boss tomorrow and say “don’t worry about my results . . . Let’s look at failure as growth!” Nice. Only in an alternative universe is this even a thing. For some reason we buy it here though.
This is just stupid. Obviously the results that Coyle was looking for happened....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The best part about Fleck is how those infatuated with hating all things non football related about him come on GHole daily to whine and complain about it.

Provides hours of entertainment.

It's nice to know you aren't bothered by those that don't like PJ. It is very clear that doesn't bother you a bit.

It's nice to know you aren't bothered by those that don't like PJ. It is very clear that doesn't bother you a bit.

You should start a PJ Fleck dislike therapy / support group thread.

You guys can share your feelings on how PJ has ruined it for you. My personal favorite is the distain for the RTB sticker on the helmet.

Here’s the deal: it’s a bad product. Bad. Somehow it’s been spun that by PJ simply spouting all this empty rhetoric it becomes substantive. If people who are watching this bad product (and have for five decades) see huge disparities between the product and the huckster gimmicks AND point it out - that is far from being “obsessed” with PJ or whatever is being alleged. It means they’ve seen this movie before, they can think for themselves, and they are pointing out the obvious. It’s too easy of a way out just to say people are “Fleck haters”. Wat too easy. The product is NOT good, the rhetoric is beyond even stomachable, and the team appears to be regressing. Thats’s the issue.

And btw, I’ve always said he needs four years. Tone it down and get to work. He needs four years to be fair - that doesn’t mean you have to be on board for this act. It’s become silly. It also doesn’t mean you necessarily want someone to fail, but are concerned the clownishness is harming the program rather than helping.

Here’s the deal: it’s a bad product. Bad. Somehow it’s been spun that by PJ simply spouting all this empty rhetoric it becomes substantive. If people who are watching this bad product (and have for five decades) see huge disparities between the product and the huckster gimmicks AND point it out - that is far from being “obsessed” with PJ or whatever is being alleged. It means they’ve seen this movie before, they can think for themselves, and they are pointing out the obvious. It’s too easy of a way out just to say people are “Fleck haters”. Wat too easy. The product is NOT good, the rhetoric is beyond even stomachable, and the team appears to be regressing. Thats’s the issue.

Are you sick of losing to SDSU yet?

There have been several Minnesota head coaches I haven’t liked.

Yet I didn’t post 10 messages per day telling people how much I didn’t like them.

SDSU is good if memory serves (haven’t really followed them closely however). The Gophers play them in the next couple of years if I’m not mistaken. There’s some decent teams out there and SDSU has beat the U before - the Goph’s you would hope should handle them pretty well by then - but, it’s not a given by any means.

SDSU is good if memory serves (haven’t really followed them closely however). The Gophers play them in the next couple of years if I’m not mistaken. There’s some decent teams out there and SDSU has beat the U before - the Goph’s you would hope should handle them pretty well by then - but, it’s not a given by any means.

You've said this at least twice now, and it's still not true - SDSU has never beaten Minnesota. SDSU has beaten your Bison, however, and have done so many times.

You are correct. It was South Dakota we lost to instead. We beat SDSU by 3 at home.

Ok. I’ll take the bait and chime in.

Extension: If in any way it reassures future recruits while adding no risk to the U I think it’s a solid move. I normally don’t disclose info but a relative of a certain ‘19 QB on a pay site wrote that said recruit was happy about the extension as PJ leaving was on his mind. Right or wrong it effects recruiting.

Recruiting class and ranks: As Kyle G breaks down very effectively if you consider the quality of rank of each recruit in this years class it is the best class in the last decade at the U. Also factor in transfers OJ Smith DT and Chris Williamson CB cuz recruiting services don’t. As a couple have stated, for PJs first full class I think it’s impressive and a great start.

PJ and his long term outlook: I get it. I really do. The way PJ speaks and how he has chosen to run his program isn’t for everyone. He admits that. But he ain’t changing so we all need to accept it. It took 3 years for people to really come down hard on Pitino and say he had no shot to succeed here. Some are going to come to that conclusion when PJ’s first year hasn’t ended yet? That’s foolish and the Pitino situation should’ve taught us better. Fleck get at minimum 3 years from me.

Tracy Claeys: “Won 9 games his first year”. “Claeys’s first class was ranked 36th.” “How could Coyle fire him?” With this head coaching resume we should also be asking ourselves why is no one hiring TC to be a head coach? There’s plenty of openings. I haven’t heard his name mentioned once. I’m guessing it’s because other ADs may see TC as a great defensive mind but not someone they think can lead an entire program. Why are some so hard on Coyle for seeing the same thing?

Last, Coyle: I admit MC did not handle the announcement of TCs firing very well. Heck, I’ll go as far to say he handled the entire process of last season poorly. But Coyle has done some great things too. He kept Richard when it’s known the same boosters who now love Pitino wanted him gone in May of ‘16. He had the foresight to do the right thing though. I love how Coyle had his guy he wanted and in quick order went and got PJ. We acted like a real football program for once and paid to get the guy the AD wanted. Coyle hasn’t been perfect but I have no issues with him as our AD.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. There’s lots to be thankful for as a U supporter and fan.

So you were once a "fan" that wanted the team to fail?

Nah, I chose not to rip on them incessantly on message boards. I figured that I wouldn’t be a very good fan if I did...

Nah, I chose not to rip on them incessantly on message boards. I figured that I wouldn’t be a very good fan if I did...

Did you just call me a bad fan? Ouch. Life reassessment time for me I guess.

Ok to rip on players but not the coach. Got it.

How about everyone gets to express their genuine opinions (within reason) for what we see on or off the field. Superstitious fans are part of the fabric of sports but this idea that some random fan's opinions of PJ or his rare missteps will affect the program one way or the other is pretty crazy. Newsflash: Fleck ain't perfect and is a polarizing figure. To their credit the moderators don't neuter the discussion very much. They could very easily mandate no posts that could be construed as controversial or negative towards any member of the program.

Ultimately PJ still has plenty of "money in the bank" from his run at WMU and unless he falls flat x 3-4 years AND fails to follow the Pitino model of recruiting well he'll get all the time he needs.

Ok to rip on players but not the coach. Got it.

How about everyone gets to express their genuine opinions (within reason) for what we see on or off the field. Superstitious fans are part of the fabric of sports but this idea that some random fan's opinions of PJ or his rare missteps will affect the program one way or the other is pretty crazy. Newsflash: Fleck ain't perfect and is a polarizing figure. To their credit the moderators don't neuter the discussion very much. They could very easily mandate no posts that could be construed as controversial or negative towards any member of the program.

Ultimately PJ still has plenty of "money in the bank" from his run at WMU and unless he falls flat x 3-4 years AND fails to follow the Pitino model of recruiting well he'll get all the time he needs.

Criticism is fair game...

10+ posts per day about what he says at a press conference? Or Row the Boat? Over the top...

You are correct. It was South Dakota we lost to instead. We beat SDSU by 3 at home.

Under this Forum's category "Who Cares?"...Dpodoll is right. SDSU did not beat Minnesota in football...got close but lost. (USD beat Minnesota in Brewster's last season.) FargoRedd's bison lost to USD in Fargo in 2015. FargoRedd's bison lost to SDSU in Fargo in 2016 (regular season game -- bison beat SDSU in 2016 playoff game) and bison also lost at SDSU this year. This season the only way NDSU and SDSU play a second game is if they meet in the FCS championship game.

If the Gophers finish 30th or higher in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, I will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

If the Gophers finish 31st or lower in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, you will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

Let's see if you're man enough to put your money where your big mouth is.

Deal, let's do it.

Deal, let's do it.

Never change, Johnny. Come sulking back like the coward you are more than a week after the deal was offered, because you think the momentum has changed in your favor - even though the underlying variables remain the same and will not change.

Absolutely - bring it on. I will love seeing you welch on the bet when you lose. There's no way you can give up your white knight crusade to defend P.J.'s honor for a full year.

Never change, Johnny. Come sulking back like the coward you are more than a week after the deal was offered, because you think the momentum has changed in your favor - even though the underlying variables remain the same and will not change.

Absolutely - bring it on. I will love seeing you welch on the bet when you lose. There's no way you can give up your white knight crusade to defend P.J.'s honor for a full year.

A year without you correcting people's simple spelling mistakes will be glorious. GH will be a better place.

Deal, let's do it.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1fJq2M8Cqahpu" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/conan-staredown-1fJq2M8Cqahpu">via GIPHY</a></p>

Top Bottom