Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

I don’t have a problem extending P.J. for one season, in light of the disappointing year this year. Coyle stepping up, going all in on P.J. speaks to the recruits. But why today? Let’s say we lose to Wisconsin by a lot...isn’t that a better time to announce you are all in on P.J.? Don’t you get more impact and quiet the naysayers? Now, if we lose bad, the extension is ridiculed. The point of it is lost.
Beat Wisconsin, yay, announce the reward.
Losing, we also miss a bowl game. Discussion of first time without a bowl in six years will begin. Again far greater impact to announce the extension then to quiet any doubts. Doing it today, the impact is weak. The money is the same, what you bought with it is far less.

I do know lately Fleck has said he wants to wrap up the 2018 class so the staff can just concentrate on recruiting for future classes after the New Year. Could be a hopeful view of earlier signing?

They are all coming to town together for their visits, soon. The early signing date is days after. Obviously, the plan is to get them all signed in December. They may have 1 or 2 spots or up to 5 left in February with some departures?

I don’t have a problem extending P.J. for one season, in light of the disappointing year this year. Coyle stepping up, going all in on P.J. speaks to the recruits. But why today? Let’s say we lose to Wisconsin by a lot...isn’t that a better time to announce you are all in on P.J.? Don’t you get more impact and quiet the naysayers? Now, if we lose bad, the extension is ridiculed. The point of it is lost.
Beat Wisconsin, yay, announce the reward.
Losing, we also miss a bowl game. Discussion of first time without a bowl in six years will begin. Again far greater impact to announce the extension then to quiet any doubts. Doing it today, the impact is weak. The money is the same, what you bought with it is far less.

Why today? Because every coach is fired or will be by Monday. Take Fleck off the table for speculation.

In the end we all know that Fleck will either have a new contract by 2023 or be gone.

It’s amazing so many in MN continually fall for this stuff. Pajamas has a huckster system down only the most gullible can’t see through. It goes like this: 1.) Come up with your own version of meaningless, substantiveless acronyms, definitions and platitudes (e.g. “When we insert HYPPER we are learning not to fail but cannot fail when we know joy and happiness in an elite setting with fine young men who we teach for success, blah blah blah blah blah”). It’s literal word salad garbage, the lowest form of psycho babble, and borders on insulting it’s so idiotic. 2.) Say the nonsense incessantly and act physically hyper (e.g. sprint at the end of Quarters - although I must say - he looks quicker than most of our D-backs so kudos for that) 3.) Repeat illogical lies when the psycho babble doesn’t work so well (e.g. imply we actually get better by being worse, come up with “Year Zero”, etc), and 4.) Use “look over here” gimmicks and diversions to keep the spot light off how bad your team really is . . . This is a BAD Big 10 team (and getting worse) on sooo many levels it’s hard to know where to start, but no worries - we’re “rowing boats”, “confronting our fears” etc. 5.) Get an extension. LOL! Amazing.
True leaders (Bud Grant, Saban, Parcells, Osborne, Bill B. et al) don’t need this stuff because it’s meaningless, shallow, crud, which MN apparently confuses with “depth” and “enthusiasm”. . . But, it will work against itself and get old soon. Sadly, unless folks figure it out, MN football will remain the same old awful to moderately ok football team it’s always been (after this next buy out, of course). Helpful future scheduling hint for Pajamas: NEVER let them schedule the Bison. Especially in Fargo (which would probably never happen), but even at home is a BAD result. WI by 35 on Saturday - could be worse though.

Why today? Because every coach is fired or will be by Monday. Take Fleck off the table for speculation.

In the end we all know that Fleck will either have a new contract by 2023 or be gone.

This....

Tl;dr the whole thread. This is a bad move. It’s clearly not being done to reward performance regardless of the misguided commentary in the article about the sad “firsts” he “achieved.” If it’s being done out of fear that other programs are seeking him out, well I thought he said this was his destination and he never wanted to leave? What would it say about Fleck if he was linked to pursuing job openings before the book is even closed on his first (mediocre) season at his supposed “dream job?”

Well, the guy is young. So, a glass half full approach could be the hope he actually has some football coaching skills, matures a lot, tones this clown stuff down about 19 notches, and gets after it in a fundamental way. And, that would be the best case scenario for everybody. Let’s hope for that, because even though he drives me nuts with the blathering nonsense, I still would hate to see a guy fail so early in his career, in all honesty. So, one can hope there is actually some “there” there. On the other hand . . . Two of the worst things in sports are the Clubhouse Lawyer and/or the Blowhard. So let’s hope he has some substance, he matures, and things get better. It is looking like the former rather than the later IMO, but you have to give the guy four years to know. The key may be just not to listen to him (?).

Well, the guy is young. So, a glass half full approach could be the hope he actually has some football coaching skills, matures a lot, tones this clown stuff down about 19 notches, and gets after it in a fundamental way. And, that would be the best case scenario for everybody. Let’s hope for that, because even though he drives me nuts with the blathering nonsense, I still would hate to see a guy fail so early in his career, in all honesty. So, one can hope there is actually some “there” there. On the other hand . . . Two of the worst things in sports are the Clubhouse Lawyer and/or the Blowhard. So let’s hope he has some substance, he matures, and things get better. It is looking like the former rather than the later IMO, but you have to give the guy four years to know. The key may be just not to listen to him (?).

^^^ I'm right with ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think PJ is an exceptional leader. I think he has the kids doing the right thing in and out of the classroom.
I think he knows how to hire pretty good assistants, and I think he knows how to teach.

If you watch his weekly presser conferences, you know it's not just on the surface stuff. He's got a curriculum of coaching that is behind everything he preaches.
He has steps on how to teach route running, how to teach catching, how to do pretty much everything a football player needs to do.

If he kept repeating the same surface level stuff with no depth, I'd consider it more B.S. but he's got subject matter behind each point.

Maybe I'm in the minority in believing this however.

Making a late push for funniest post of the year.

Just because you miss the days of Maturi and Teague doesn't mean you can't be happy Leadpipe. You can always hope Claeys gets a job as an assistant, now it may not be at a BCS program, but even at FCS or D2 you can still follow him. See, all is not lost. Have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

It’s cool. It’s only football - the world is filled with bad news and having a minority view on PJ may be the “healthiest” choice? Who knows, maybe he will be the best thing ever - seems like The Music Man to me - but I’m wrong quit often (the lady of the household will confirm). Seems like a lot of talk, talk, talk - but, maybe I’m missing something. In any case, it is what it is. Did I mention he drives me nuts? LOL

There may not be people outright calling for his head but there is a very vocal group that has already decided based on this season that he is going to fail. If you are convinced he is going to fail then you are basically advocating for firing him now, I mean why wait multiple years when you are already so sure of the final outcome?

That’s something you should ask Coyle, after all he was convinced after one 9 win season that TC was going to fail so out he went.

Holy **** you're actually doubling down on this. Do me a favor go to the 247 class calculator and add 3 4 star commits to the Gophers and tell me what it does. You should really stop. As you can see if you click the link the players on the bottom aren't being counted nearly as much as the players on the top. So if the Gophers add players near the top of the class, they will get more points. It all depends on who the Gophers add and who the other teams add. You're making yourself look stupid.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Commits/Preview

All we need to do is get the wizards at 247 to count a heavily weighted commit twice. I was rocked to discover we signed two Mark Williams in 2016. One worth twice as much as the other. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2016-Football/Commits/Preview

Double counting, including imaginary 4 stars in talent recruiting (Maryland). Is this service run by interns?

I don't know, I prefer to look at average stars, individual ratings from the services.

All we need to do is get the wizards at 247 to count a heavily weighted commit twice. I was rocked to discover we signed two Mark Williams in 2016. One worth twice as much as the other. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2016-Football/Commits/Preview

Double counting, including imaginary 4 stars in talent recruiting (Maryland). Is this service run by interns?

I don't know, I prefer to look at average stars, individual ratings from the services.

Who are these imaginary four stars you speak of?

That’s something you should ask Coyle, after all he was convinced after one 9 win season that TC was going to fail so out he went.

Why are your bringing Tracy Claeys back into this?
The reasons he was fired was discussed numerous times on hundreds of threads.

Coyle and Kaler must be seeing tremendous day to day leadership from coach Fleck in how he handles the program.

The fact they are extending Fleck after just okay results on the field, really must be representative of the improvements Fleck is making in handling the program rather than the only data points that get measured by most fans which is wins and losses.

I can say as a fan, I've never been prouder of how the football team appears to be serving our community.

Just ok. What meets the sub-par threshold?

Losing non-competitive games to NW and UM. Losing to Purdue, Maryland. Struggling with Buffalo. As fans we had two games that were fun to watch.

No problem with the extension for recruiting purposes. The buyout is really all that matters and that number will continue to move as time goes on. The hard decisions will come and crucial numbers will be known in a few years if we're flat. If we're competitive and beating the rivals no number will be too high for this fan base.

It’s amazing so many in MN continually fall for this stuff. Pajamas has a huckster system down only the most gullible can’t see through. It goes like this: 1.) Come up with your own version of meaningless, substantiveless acronyms, definitions and platitudes (e.g. “When we insert HYPPER we are learning not to fail but cannot fail when we know joy and happiness in an elite setting with fine young men who we teach for success, blah blah blah blah blah”). It’s literal word salad garbage, the lowest form of psycho babble, and borders on insulting it’s so idiotic. 2.) Say the nonsense incessantly and act physically hyper (e.g. sprint at the end of Quarters - although I must say - he looks quicker than most of our D-backs so kudos for that) 3.) Repeat illogical lies when the psycho babble doesn’t work so well (e.g. imply we actually get better by being worse, come up with “Year Zero”, etc), and 4.) Use “look over here” gimmicks and diversions to keep the spot light off how bad your team really is . . . This is a BAD Big 10 team (and getting worse) on sooo many levels it’s hard to know where to start, but no worries - we’re “rowing boats”, “confronting our fears” etc. 5.) Get an extension. LOL! Amazing.
True leaders (Bud Grant, Saban, Parcells, Osborne, Bill B. et al) don’t need this stuff because it’s meaningless, shallow, crud, which MN apparently confuses with “depth” and “enthusiasm”. . . But, it will work against itself and get old soon. Sadly, unless folks figure it out, MN football will remain the same old awful to moderately ok football team it’s always been (after this next buy out, of course). Helpful future scheduling hint for Pajamas: NEVER let them schedule the Bison. Especially in Fargo (which would probably never happen), but even at home is a BAD result. WI by 35 on Saturday - could be worse though.

How much you want to wager that everything you just said is complete bs and none of which will be correct? Big bad NDSU, so badass they can’t step up to the big boy level.

Who are these imaginary four stars you speak of?

During the rationalizing following the Maryland defeat talent rankings were brought up by a certain poster. So I looked and 247 lists them as having 17 4 stars but if one clicks on the team to display the roster it lists but 15.

I know, I know, minor details. But when 247 assesses outsized weighting to blue chippers and virtually zero to a vast swath of 3 stars I'd say attention to detail and appearances matter.

Now, maybe the high school kid or Bangladeshi they are paying 9.00 per hour for data entry just fat-fingers this stuff but it seems pretty sloppy and without crunching a lot of numbers who knows if 247 has the ranking numbers properly calculated? Not to mention their composite makes little rational sense.

It’s cool. It’s only football - the world is filled with bad news and having a minority view on PJ may be the “healthiest” choice? Who knows, maybe he will be the best thing ever - seems like The Music Man to me - but I’m wrong quit often (the lady of the household will confirm). Seems like a lot of talk, talk, talk - but, maybe I’m missing something. In any case, it is what it is. Did I mention he drives me nuts? LOL

Being the minority on a Gopher fan board most certainly doesn't make you the minority anywhere else. Rest assured, outside of GH you see what most everyone else sees.

How much you want to wager that everything you just said is complete bs and none of which will be correct? Big bad NDSU, so badass they can’t step up to the big boy level.

I have a lot of respect for the football played out in the Dakotas.

Just like I have a lot of respect for Mankato, Duluth, St John's, St Thomas, Wisconsin DIII schools, etc.

In the context of their lower level, minor league college football ... they are kings. And that is as far as you need to rationalize it.

NDSU has also beaten the Gophers at home - and K State, Co. State, and Iowa (all on the road) among others in the so-called “majors”. The Gophers would finish .500 in the Mo Valley (maybe). and have also lost to SD State (at home). And we don’t want to even go down the path of QB comparisons. They don’t schedule NDSU for a reason. The fact is, the U is a bad Big 10 team that occasionally rises to the level of competent and rarely to “decent”, regardless of their “major league’” status. The question is, will PJ with all this clownish rhetoric change that? Not looking promising - but, you have to give the guy four years and hope for the best. Maybe it will work out like Pitino bottoming out and rising to have a very good team. I mean, it WOULD be fun to have a top 15 football team here - so it’s not like it would be great for him to fail. But, PJ’s shtick is setting us up for huge ridicule (once again) if his dog and pony show doesn’t work.

Being the minority on a Gopher fan board most certainly doesn't make you the minority anywhere else. Rest assured, outside of GH you see what most everyone else sees.

Nice—anecdotal, unprovable evidence that supports your breathless crusade against Fleck. I’m convinced.

Nice—anecdotal, unprovable evidence that supports your breathless crusade against Fleck. I’m convinced.

Pretty common to dismiss something that you don't like. I'm not surprised. I'll continue my crusade without your support.

Why are your bringing Tracy Claeys back into this?
The reasons he was fired was discussed numerous times on hundreds of threads.

I mentioned him as a comparison to PJ and the possibility that he could be a failure as the previous poster declined to consider.

Top Bottom