Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

1) They do? Really? Also, does this contract make it more likely PJ will be here in 2023? Contracts mean nothing. Buyouts often do.

2) Still waiting for the first poster to ask for PJ to be fired. Hasn't happened yet - despite how some keep acting like others are calling for his head. Stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice try. I think you are just trying to get me going.

Still just in case, more years left on contract means something to recruits and most of the time a bigger buyout.

What? You have been arguing this entire thread about how they will not finish in the top 40. I have never once claimed they will finish with a top 30 class.

Indeed, I have not. The original post I responded to (and the conversation you horned your way into) stated that we'd have a top 30 recruiting class.

I've always known that you're a coward, and am now happy to have confirmed it for the rest of the board.

If contracts mean nothing why don't teams let their coaches go into every year on a one year deal?

Indeed, I have not. The original post I responded to (and the conversation you horned your way into) stated that we'd have a top 30 recruiting class.

I've always known that you're a coward, and am now happy to have confirmed it for the rest of the board.

Yes, and then you stated that it would very likely fall into the 40s. So will you agree that you think they will have a class 40s? I'll agree to that bet.

"Sounds great, except that Fleck doesn't have a top-30 recruiting class (probably won't be top 40 by NSD) and no one has any idea where last year's recruiting class would have finished. Since I'm "stupid" and know factually that we did indeed win 9 games last year, I'll also point out that the one class Claeys signed finished in the mid-40s."

Nice try. I think you are just trying to get me going.

Still just in case, more years left on contract means something to recruits and most of the time a bigger buyout.

What does more years on a contract mean? What % of coaches leave or are fired at the exact end of their contract? I would guess a very small %. Buyouts can matter. I would also say "more years matter to recruits" is a total assumption. It may to some - again, I would guess a small %. I'm sure recruits know coaches leave or are fired while under contract all the time.

1) They do? Really? Also, does this contract make it more likely PJ will be here in 2023? Contracts mean nothing. Buyouts often do.

2) Still waiting for the first poster to ask for PJ to be fired. Hasn't happened yet - despite how some keep acting like others are calling for his head. Stop.

There may not be people outright calling for his head but there is a very vocal group that has already decided based on this season that he is going to fail. If you are convinced he is going to fail then you are basically advocating for firing him now, I mean why wait multiple years when you are already so sure of the final outcome?

For those of you who think Fleck extension is a bad idea:

1) most recruits plan on coming to the University for 4-5 years including redshirt year. If a recruit is concerned he is leaving in the next couple of years, would you blame a recruit for signing with a different school when a coach only has four years left on his contract?

2) If you think Fleck should be fired, who would you hire as the gophers 4th coach in 5 years?

1) I think the point is that the extension doesn't really change the dynamic of him potentially leaving much. Also, if any recruit thinks the HC who recruits them will be there when they graduate, they are pretty naive. Not counting the openings that will happen after this week and next, over half the current P5 HCs were hired 2014 or later.

2) Very few are arguing this...and a bit crazy if they are. Fleck is not in any danger of being fired through at least 2019 season unless the wheels completely come off the program or there's a scandal.

Yes, and then you stated that it would very likely fall into the 40s. So will you agree that you think they will have a class 40s? I'll agree to that bet.

"Sounds great, except that Fleck doesn't have a top-30 recruiting class (probably won't be top 40 by NSD) and no one has any idea where last year's recruiting class would have finished. Since I'm "stupid" and know factually that we did indeed win 9 games last year, I'll also point out that the one class Claeys signed finished in the mid-40s."

Actually, coward, the word I used was "probably". You even quoted the post, FFS.

1) I think the point is that the extension doesn't really change the dynamic of him potentially leaving much. Also, if any recruit thinks the HC who recruits them will be there when they graduate, they are pretty naive. Not counting the openings that will happen after this week and next, over half the current P5 HCs were hired 2014 or later.

Yes, thanks. When I say contracts don't matter - I am speaking to increasing the chance he stays. Obviously they matter for the coach and the school so they are financially compensated for having to deal with a coach leaving or being fired.

Now the next move by Mark Coyle is to get Gopher Football and Basketball back on WCCO. It is the conduit to reconnecting the U and Gopher sports with all of Minnesota. Stupid move years ago to move away from it.

Back to WCCO now that would really be a step backwards.

For those of you who think Fleck extension is a bad idea:

1) most recruits plan on coming to the University for 4-5 years including redshirt year. If a recruit is concerned he is leaving in the next couple of years, would you blame a recruit for signing with a different school when a coach only has four years left on his contract?

2) If you think Fleck should be fired, who would you hire as the gophers 4th coach in 5 years?

1. This extension is no guarantee he won't leave. If you feel it somehow is then why wasn't the first contract written to 2023?

2. I never said Fleck should be fired.

If only KFAN stopped going out of their way to criticize the Gophers while praising the Vikings for mediocrity.

Evidently being the best of a four team division that includes the Lions, Bears, and the smallest NFL market makes them a success.

Yet, if the Gophers were in a 4 team division, the best they'd be right now is 3rd and that's if you eliminated the top 3 teams.

Where does the Viking record rank out of all 32 teams? Would you consider that mediocrity?

What does more years on a contract mean? What % of coaches leave or are fired at the exact end of their contract? I would guess a very small %. Buyouts can matter. I would also say "more years matter to recruits" is a total assumption. It may to some - again, I would guess a small %. I'm sure recruits know coaches leave or are fired while under contract all the time.

Years left on a contract matter because the buyout is typically calculated off of that. I get that you’re saying the buyout matters the most, but the two are pretty synonymous.

He's 10 months into a 5 year contract. It's a wild overreaction.

“I have seen the foundation of what Coach Fleck is building, and I'm looking forward to supporting him for years to come.”

Not an overreaction.

The fact that we didn't have any other QB offers out there when he decommitted and then none of the ones we offered since have committed yet makes me think that. PJ expects our commits to shut it down when they commit - are you suggesting he doesn't do the same?

It would be crazy if they shut it down completely. They know more than anyone that players can decommit at any time. I've got to believe they at least continue to pay attention to other prospects so they have some kind of backup plan. I think there's a difference between actively recruiting a player and keeping up to date with what other options are out there.

Years left on a contract matter because the buyout is typically calculated off of that. I get that you’re saying the buyout matters the most, but the two are pretty synonymous.

I think you are probably right about that. In this case, I haven't seen anything in regards to the buyout of the new contract so can't say what effect, if any, it will have. I also think if a bigtime school wanted PJ they would pay the buyout regardless. I guess the bottom line I am making is signing this contract extension doesn't prove a)he wants to stay here a long time; or b)he is more likely to stay here long time - both of which have been claimed in this thread.

I hope he is still here in 2023 and gets another extension every year between now and then.

The best news about the contract extension.

We all can look forward to having these wonderful, simulating discussions for another year.

The best news about the contract extension.

We all can look forward to having these wonderful, simulating discussions for another year.

Haha yup you know it. :rolleyes:

People arguing over small issues and taking sides when the truth is always in the middle of what each side is saying.

This is my last post on this thread. You guys have fun.

Yet, if the Gophers were in a 4 team division, the best they'd be right now is 3rd and that's if you eliminated the top 3 teams.

Where does the Viking record rank out of all 32 teams? Would you consider that mediocrity?

FtF is correct about the Gophers on KFAN, in that they routinely mock and criticize them. Especially the morning show. They've been doing it regardless of the coach.
Still would like to see them stay there as the games and the talk(hopefully more positive talk) will reach more fans on that station as opposed to WCCO

Apparently it is the new math, where facts don't really matter and 2+2 can equal 7 if it makes you feel good and fits your narrative.

The statement I disputed was "The fact that 5 wins is the most for a first-year coach since Warmath is both depressing and eye-opening."

Fact: Claeys was a first year coach and won nine games.

You state: "a top 30 recruiting class"

Fact: Fleck has not signed a top 30 recruiting class. He might some day, but we won't know that until next spring at the earliest.

Sorry if truth and facts get in the way of your hopes.

Not to mention Gutekunst won six games as a first year coach (5 in conference). And won @ Wisconsin and @ 11-2 Michigan.

Not to mention Gutekunst won six games as a first year coach (5 in conference). And won @ Wisconsin and @ 11-2 Michigan.

It's qualified by "new to the program". Reaching pretty hard for an accolade to include IMHO...

This helps in recruiting to dispel any notion than PJ Fleck is a flight risk. :cool02:

I apologize as I did not read the rest of this giant thread .... but this is 100% my take.

This is what we know for sure: Nebraska, Texas aTm, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida and UCLA will all be looking for new coaches. If you don't think Fleck's name is brought for most of these schools you are kidding yourself. I think we can all agree the hiring process is no fun and we don't want to go through it again anytime soon. Love the contract extension or hate it, it was the right thing for the U to do.

This seems to indicate that he is a hotter prospect than last year? Not sure how that is possible.

Either way, the extension is a strategic move to impress consistency on recruits, than it is fine.

per STrib:

The financials of P.J. Fleck's original five-year, $18 million deal, and his one-year extension for 2022:

SALARIES

Base salaries per season:

2017: $3,500,000

2018: $3,550,000

2019: $3,600,000

2020: $3,650,000

2021: $3,700,000

2022: $3,750,000

BUYOUTS

Buyout terms of Fleck's extension were not yet announced Wednesday morning. Here are the buyout terms of his original deal:

If he's fired:

Amounts owed to Fleck if he is fired by the Gophers ...

... before 2018 season: $9 million.

... before 2019 season: $5.5 million.

... before 2020 season: $3 million.

... before 2021 season: $1.5 million.

... before 2022 season: (tbd).

If he leaves for another job:

Amounts Fleck owes back to the Gophers if he leaves ...

... before 2018 season: $4 million.

... before 2019 season: $3 million.

... before 2020 season: $2 million.

... before 2021 season: $1 million.

... before 2022 season: (tbd).

http://www.startribune.com/paying-p...buyouts-in-his-six-gophers-seasons/459342203/

Go Gophers!!

I am not going to take the time to wade through 12 pages of this thread, but did see this story earlier today:

Report: Michigan working on a lifetime contract for Jim Harbaugh

Michigan is working on a lifetime contract for head coach Jim Harbaugh, according to a conversation former Notre Dame quarterback and current Fox Sports college football analyst Brady Quinn had with an unnamed Michigan insider.

Quinn shared the conversation on Fox Sports Radio:

“I talked to someone who’s kind of an insider within that program, and we had a long, drawn out conversation,” Quinn said on FOX Sports Radio, according to Mike Sullivan. “What he told me was that they’re working on a lifetime contract. I swear to you, that was his words. I kind of pressed him on it and said ‘Really?! A lifetime deal? What would that even look like?’ He couldn’t give me the particulars, but he said that’s one of the things they are talking about. That’s how confident, that’s how good they feel about Jim Harbaugh and how glad they are to have him there. So maybe that’s something Harbaugh wants.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/report-michigan-working-lifetime-contract-jim-harbaugh/

I'm glad JB is a coward.

His posts are pure gold and have been a ray of comedic sunshine through the gloomy days in Year Zero.

It would be crazy if they shut it down completely. They know more than anyone that players can decommit at any time. I've got to believe they at least continue to pay attention to other prospects so they have some kind of backup plan. I think there's a difference between actively recruiting a player and keeping up to date with what other options are out there.

I do know lately Fleck has said he wants to wrap up the 2018 class so the staff can just concentrate on recruiting for future classes after the New Year. Could be a hopeful view of earlier signing?

Top Bottom