Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

The class is currently 36 with 23 recruits. I'd expect around 4-5 more guys, and at least 1 in the class swapped out for one reason or another (ie: sprained cerebrum). Depending on how those things shake out, I'm rather confident that it'll be right around 26-30, which I believe is borderline top 30.

And as for the 2016 class that finished 46: yup, he had a hand in that, but Jerry had a larger hand. Both were blessed with a once in a lifetime MN HS football recruiting group, and they took advantage of that. If you'd like to guess where he would have finished the 2017 class, be my guest. I don't think there would have been much movement from around where it was when he was let go (ie: low-to-mid 60s). Claeys simply did not put the energy into the program that Kill did, which is required to be successful long-term at Minnesota.

What teams in the last, say, ten years had recruiting classes in the 30s or higher without any 4* recruits?

Not sure what this accomplishes. IMO, he hasn't done anything thus far to make me say I want him locked up forever. If a big time program comes calling (which I'm skeptical about), I'm not sure he's much more likely to stay than under the old contract/buyout (big time boosters will get the money together for a buyout regardless).

Not necessarily opposed, just not really seeing any logical rationale.

Not sure what this accomplishes. IMO, he hasn't done anything thus far to make me say I want him locked up forever. If a big time program comes calling (which I'm skeptical about), I'm not sure he's much more likely to stay than under the old contract/buyout (big time boosters will get the money together for a buyout regardless).

Not necessarily opposed, just not really seeing any logical rationale.

1. Gets the other teams who might be seeking him to quit calling for a year.
2. Shows stability for the program. (even though a coach can be fired at any point).
3. A financial vote of loyalty to PJ.
We're standing by you now when you're not having the best season. Maybe you'll appreciate the loyalty down the road should you succeed at a high level.

I understand many of you have no concept for what a long term relationship should look like, but sometime you need to put some equity into it on an ongoing basis rather than just sign your marriage contract and then make demands.

Coyle added a year to the contract. Pretty much like the standard automatic roll over contract. It keeps the contract at 5 years. Not a big deal to me.

What teams in the last, say, ten years had recruiting classes in the 30s or higher without any 4* recruits?

Outstanding point. Over the past few years it looks like you'll need at least 3 to have a chance to make the cut, depending on where the rest of your class falls. Right now there are 2 ways to fix this: recruit a couple (I expect 1-2 of those in this class) or wait for the recruiting services to go through all the senior year film and upgrade guys based off performance (I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of these as well) as opposed to how they looked at camps.

One other thing to remember is that the overall ranking of players has gone up markedly in this recruiting class. As of right now there's no Carter Coughlin, but there's also nobody that isn't even on the radar of the services. Recruiting isn't the be-all end-all of college football, but it is very important. I've always compared it to grocery shopping in that not even Alton Brown can whip together a great chicken dinner out of chicken wire and chicken ****.

So you believe he wasn't highly sought after last year?
or
He was highly sought after last year and in his first year at Minnesota, his stock dropped so much that none of those schools would offer to pay him the same or more?

I believe that we were the only P5 team with an opening that didn't cross him off their list. Purdue and Oregon didn't pick him - can't remember who else was looking. Again, this assumption that P5 teams are out there now trying to take him away from us is just some PJ fans wanting to think we are so lucky to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again it depends on who they finish the class with. Math isn't hard, if people commit that are higher ranked than the current class the ranking will move up. Shouldn't be that complicated.

No, we won't move up, not when the schools behind us will be accruing twice as many new commitments as us (or more). You're right, it isn't complicated. We will hold steady at best and almost certainly slide further down.

How do you know they only focused on Armstrong? They could have continued to review tape, talk with coaches, etc. Maybe you should follow your own advice.

The fact that we didn't have any other QB offers out there when he decommitted and then none of the ones we offered since have committed yet makes me think that. PJ expects our commits to shut it down when they commit - are you suggesting he doesn't do the same?

Claeys went 6-6 in his first 12 games as HC. That is a fact.

So now we changed the measure. (must not have met your narrative) So can you go back and calculate what all the coaches' records since Murray Warmath was for their first 12 games were?

If that doesn't fit, change it to 11 or 9 or whatever you need.

Again, I was refuting an untruth that was used to support a narrative.

Coyle added a year to the contract. Pretty much like the standard automatic roll over contract. It keeps the contract at 5 years. Not a big deal to me.

As others are pointing to as the reason for doing it, does it actually help recruiting or dissuade other schools from now going after him or vice versa?

No, we won't move up, not when the schools behind us will be accruing twice as many new commitments as us (or more). You're right, it isn't complicated. We will hold steady at best and almost certainly slide further down.

Holy **** you're actually doubling down on this. Do me a favor go to the 247 class calculator and add 3 4 star commits to the Gophers and tell me what it does. You should really stop. As you can see if you click the link the players on the bottom aren't being counted nearly as much as the players on the top. So if the Gophers add players near the top of the class, they will get more points. It all depends on who the Gophers add and who the other teams add. You're making yourself look stupid.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Commits/Preview

Outstanding point. Over the past few years it looks like you'll need at least 3 to have a chance to make the cut, depending on where the rest of your class falls. Right now there are 2 ways to fix this: recruit a couple (I expect 1-2 of those in this class) or wait for the recruiting services to go through all the senior year film and upgrade guys based off performance (I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of these as well) as opposed to how they looked at camps.

One other thing to remember is that the overall ranking of players has gone up markedly in this recruiting class. As of right now there's no Carter Coughlin, but there's also nobody that isn't even on the radar of the services. Recruiting isn't the be-all end-all of college football, but it is very important. I've always compared it to grocery shopping in that not even Alton Brown can whip together a great chicken dinner out of chicken wire and chicken ****.

There's about a 6% chance that any team could end up ranked below 50 without any 4* recruits.

Holy **** you're actually doubling down on this. Do me a favor go to the 247 class calculator and add 3 4 star commits to the Gophers and tell me what it does. You should really stop. As you can see if you click the link the players on the bottom aren't being counted nearly as much as the players on the top. So if the Gophers add players near the top of the class, they will get more points. It all depends on who the Gophers add and who the other teams add. You're making yourself look stupid.

If the Gophers finish 30th or higher in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, I will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

If the Gophers finish 31st or lower in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, you will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

Let's see if you're man enough to put your money where your big mouth is.

If the Gophers finish 30th or higher in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, I will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

If the Gophers finish 31st or lower in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, you will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

Did I say they would inside of the top 30? You are claiming they will finish outside of the top 40.

I will take the bet if you move each spot back 10 like you are arguing.

Woah!

Mic drop moment.

Did I say they would inside of the top 30? You are claiming they will finish outside of the top 40.

I will take the bet if you move each spot back 10 like you are arguing.

Just as I thought. Coward.

He'd have to go back to just mowing PJ's lawn and shoveling his driveway then. Would no longer be able to be employed as the chief defender.

Just as I thought. Coward.

What? You have been arguing this entire thread about how they will not finish in the top 40. I have never once claimed they will finish with a top 30 class.

What do you think should be added? I'd say probably a 4-star back for sure, and if we're lucky a 4-star OL? Probably a mid-level 3-star QB, as well. Maybe subtract out a DB for balance purposes.

You have to follow the crooten' logic on here to understand this. For example:

We started with high expectations in 2018 celebrating every offer PJ made to a highly rated recruit and pounding our chests about Team Rankings in June - ripping any poster that suggested we will end up about where we always have. Absurd.

As that started falling apart we started hearing about "high", "mid", and "low" 3-stars. We started hearing the Athletics Village isn't complete yet, and of course about how we can't expect too much in the first year. Still, though, we will crush anything we have done in the past, right.

Now we are in a more desperate rationalizing mode as it becomes clear we will end up close to where we typically do. Assuming we will still add some monsters to move us up is JB's thought today, but my personal favorite was him pointing out earlier this week that we are actually better than ranked as we have some lower rated guys committed and pulling it down - pointing out that if we cut the lowest ranked recruits that our average player ranking would be higher than normal.

You have to follow the crooten' logic on here to understand this. For example:

We started with high expectations in 2018 celebrating every offer PJ made to a highly rated recruit and pounding our chests about Team Rankings in June - ripping any poster that suggested we will end up about where we always have. Absurd.

As that started falling apart we started hearing about "high", "mid", and "low" 3-stars. We started hearing the Athletics Village isn't complete yet, and of course about how we can't expect too much in the first year. Still, though, we will crush anything we have done in the past, right.

Now we are in a more desperate rationalizing mode as it becomes clear we will end up close to where we typically do. Assuming we will still add some monsters to move us up is JB's thought today, but my personal favorite was him pointing out earlier this week that we are actually better than ranked as we have some lower rated guys committed and pulling it down - pointing out that if we cut the lowest ranked recruits that our average player ranking would be higher than normal.

But it is higher than normal even if you include everyone. Keep digging though. Also can you explain how a class in the high 30s/low 40s is similar to classes in the high 50s/low 60s that Kill recruited?

What do you think should be added? I'd say probably a 4-star back for sure, and if we're lucky a 4-star OL? Probably a mid-level 3-star QB, as well. Maybe subtract out a DB for balance purposes.

I would be very happy with 4 star QB Brevin White and 4 start OG Curtis "Slim" Dunlap. That would give us a nice finish.

But it is higher than normal even if you include everyone. Keep digging though. Also can you explain how a class in the high 30s/low 40s is similar to classes in the high 50s/low 60s that Kill recruited?

We will see come February.

But it is higher than normal even if you include everyone. Keep digging though.

Again, doesn't matter until we sign our class, and everyone else signs theirs! Otherwise we just need to get the very first commit in the nation for a particular class and you can tout that we have the #1 recruiting class!

Again, doesn't matter until we sign our class, and everyone else signs theirs! Otherwise we just need to get the very first commit in the nation for a particular class and you can tout that we have the #1 recruiting class!

But I thought the Gophers were locked in to being where they are now and will drop to the 40s? You guys are really confusing me.

So now we changed the measure. (must not have met your narrative) So can you go back and calculate what all the coaches' records since Murray Warmath was for their first 12 games were?

If that doesn't fit, change it to 11 or 9 or whatever you need.

Again, I was refuting an untruth that was used to support a narrative.

I was just pointing out that it is disingenuous to say that TC won 9 games in his first season as HC. (Unless you want to call his first six games as HC "Year 0", and not count them.) I picked the first 12 games because that seems like a fair measure since that is the typical number of games in the regular season. It seemed like a fair way to make a comparison. I have no narrative. Am simply pointing out facts.

For those of you who think Fleck extension is a bad idea:

1) most recruits plan on coming to the University for 4-5 years including redshirt year. If a recruit is concerned he is leaving in the next couple of years, would you blame a recruit for signing with a different school when a coach only has four years left on his contract?

2) If you think Fleck should be fired, who would you hire as the gophers 4th coach in 5 years?

1) most recruits plan on coming to the University for 4-5 years including redshirt year. If a recruit is concerned he is leaving in the next couple of years, would you blame a recruit for signing with a different school when a coach only has four years left on his contract?

2) If you think Fleck should be fired, who would you hire as the gophers 4th coach in 5 years?

1) They do? Really? Also, does this contract make it more likely PJ will be here in 2023? Contracts mean nothing. Buyouts often do.

2) Still waiting for the first poster to ask for PJ to be fired. Hasn't happened yet - despite how some keep acting like others are calling for his head. Stop.

2) 1A. Tony Dungy
1B. Mike Grant

Top Bottom