Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

Now, yes. Doesn't that show he made a mistake focusing on him (and only him) up to that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know they only focused on Armstrong? They could have continued to review tape, talk with coaches, etc. Maybe you should follow your own advice.

Really? Link? That statement is nothing other than wishful thinking.

Depends on the rest of the math problem, really.

5 + 0 time on the police scanner + a top 30 recruitng class > 9 + The biggest non-academic scandal since 1986 + a recruiting class in the mid-to-low 60s.

Uh oh, you've really done it now.

Now the next move by Mark Coyle is to get Gopher Football and Basketball back on WCCO. It is the conduit to reconnecting the U and Gopher sports with all of Minnesota. Stupid move years ago to move away from it.

Couldn't disagree more. KFAN has the younger demo, is statewide, and many affiliates are on FM. The U has nothing to do with the bids...typically, they'll take the highest.

Uh oh, you've really done it now.

Sometimes the only way to fight a blazing inferno of stupid is to wade right in. And the only way to deal with the 9-winners is to either ignore them or beat them over the head.

The timing of this extension is very simple, especially with the new signing window: Opponents will throw out rumors that so-and-so school is looking at a coach to try to get commits to waiver. Watch what happens over the next few weeks with jobs filling up fast. I suspect that we'll see many more in-season firings going forward as teams realize that they need to have a guy in place prior to December to lock down their class, or the whole 1st year could be a wash. If I were a Gopher fan, I'd get used to something like this every year around Thanksgiving.

And in regards to the "If they were just going to extend it, why not just do it in the initial contract" crowd: who's to say that one side or the other was interested in that at the time?

Couldn't disagree more. KFAN has the younger demo, is statewide, and many affiliates are on FM. The U has nothing to do with the bids...typically, they'll take the highest.

If only KFAN stopped going out of their way to criticize the Gophers while praising the Vikings for mediocrity.

Evidently being the best of a four team division that includes the Lions, Bears, and the smallest NFL market makes them a success.

If only KFAN stopped going out of their way to criticize the Gophers while praising the Vikings for mediocrity.

Evidently being the best of a four team division that includes the Lions, Bears, and the smallest NFL market makes them a success.

KFAN is a troll radio station.

The bad news is that after Saturday we still aren't going to have any trophies from our games vs. our football rivals. The good news is that we are going to be able to proudly showcase the "Turkey of The Year" award when Reusse crowns Coyle.

Little victories.....

5 + 0 time on the police scanner + a top 30 recruitng class > 9 + The biggest non-academic scandal since 1986 + a recruiting class in the mid-to-low 60s.

Sounds great, except that Fleck doesn't have a top-30 recruiting class (probably won't be top 40 by NSD) and no one has any idea where last year's recruiting class would have finished. Since I'm "stupid" and know factually that we did indeed win 9 games last year, I'll also point out that the one class Claeys signed finished in the mid-40s.

Sometimes the only way to fight a blazing inferno of stupid is to wade right in. And the only way to deal with the 9-winners is to either ignore them or beat them over the head.

The timing of this extension is very simple, especially with the new signing window: Opponents will throw out rumors that so-and-so school is looking at a coach to try to get commits to waiver. Watch what happens over the next few weeks with jobs filling up fast. I suspect that we'll see many more in-season firings going forward as teams realize that they need to have a guy in place prior to December to lock down their class, or the whole 1st year could be a wash. If I were a Gopher fan, I'd get used to something like this every year around Thanksgiving.

And in regards to the "If they were just going to extend it, why not just do it in the initial contract" crowd: who's to say that one side or the other was interested in that at the time?

Or perhaps an opposing coach from say Purdue, Maryland, Michigan, MSU, Iowa Northwestern can just say, come play on our team, we actually win BIG games.

The class is currently 36 with 23 recruits. I'd expect around 4-5 more guys, and at least 1 in the class swapped out for one reason or another (ie: sprained cerebrum). Depending on how those things shake out, I'm rather confident that it'll be right around 26-30, which I believe is borderline top 30.

And as for the 2016 class that finished 46: yup, he had a hand in that, but Jerry had a larger hand. Both were blessed with a once in a lifetime MN HS football recruiting group, and they took advantage of that. If you'd like to guess where he would have finished the 2017 class, be my guest. I don't think there would have been much movement from around where it was when he was let go (ie: low-to-mid 60s). Claeys simply did not put the energy into the program that Kill did, which is required to be successful long-term at Minnesota.

Or perhaps an opposing coach from say Purdue, Maryland, Michigan, MSU, Iowa Northwestern can just say, come play on our team, we actually win BIG games.

Are you trolling? Nevermind i know the answer to that. Maryland, Purdue, and Iowa have all won 3 or less Big Ten games.

Sounds great, except that Fleck doesn't have a top-30 recruiting class (probably won't be top 40 by NSD) and no one has any idea where last year's recruiting class would have finished. Since I'm "stupid" and know factually that we did indeed win 9 games last year, I'll also point out that the one class Claeys signed finished in the mid-40s.

Yeahbut that was all due to Kill and all the MN kids that wanted to play at home. Claeys had nothing to do with it.
I think that's how its done when you want to rip on the previous coaches to pump up PJ. How'd I do?

The class is currently 36 with 23 recruits. I'd expect around 4-5 more guys, and at least 1 in the class swapped out for one reason or another (ie: sprained cerebrum). Depending on how those things shake out, I'm rather confident that it'll be right around 26-30, which I believe is borderline top 30.

And as for the 2016 class that finished 46: yup, he had a hand in that, but Jerry had a larger hand. Both were blessed with a once in a lifetime MN HS football recruiting group, and they took advantage of that. If you'd like to guess where he would have finished the 2017 class, be my guest. I don't think there would have been much movement from around where it was when he was let go (ie: low-to-mid 60s). Claeys simply did not put the energy into the program that Kill did, which is required to be successful long-term at Minnesota.

How long have you been following recruiting? Many schools behind us will be signing players and moving ahead of us in the rankings. This is the first time I've seen the bizarrely ignorant take that we will somehow move up in the recruiting rankings (despite already having one of the largest classes in the country), so kudos for that I guess.

More players in the 2016 class committed after Kill retired than before. Oops.

We don't typically cross paths with Maryland or Michigan. MSU is MSU, and Iowa has preferred to go with "Are you sure you want to go there? There's no way Warriner is going to be there long." approach. Purdue is actually on par with Iowa State in that we should be worried about them in recruiting going forward. But of the group, the only one that should be a concern long-term is Northwestern.

And it really is simple to counter those. They can easily say that this season was a reloading year and that things will be much better going forward when depth is improved. "Iowa only beat us by 7 in Iowa City, so what's going to happen when we've got you here?"

Yeahbut that was all due to Kill and all the MN kids that wanted to play at home. Claeys had nothing to do with it.
I think that's how its done when you want to rip on the previous coaches to pump up PJ. How'd I do?

Maybe one day people will learn that ripping the previous coach isn't a necessary condition of praising the current coach. The basketball board seems to have learned it now, even if it has taken 5 years.

How long have you been following recruiting? Many schools behind us will be signing players and moving ahead of us in the rankings. This is the first time I've seen the bizarrely ignorant take that we will somehow move up in the recruiting rankings (despite already having one of the largest classes in the country), so kudos for that I guess.

How many decommited? What was the class ranked before they all decommited?

Is five more than nine?? Must be that new math.

Had the qualifier "new to the program". If that would not have been enough, I'm sure they would have added another to be able to state it. Thought maybe they consulted GWG beforehand...

If they add players ranked higher than the previous commits they will absolutely move up, I'm sure you already know this. Also why are you predicting where this class will finish but you call anyone who does the same for Claeys stupid?

Apparently it is the new math, where facts don't really matter and 2+2 can equal 7 if it makes you feel good and fits your narrative.

The statement I disputed was "The fact that 5 wins is the most for a first-year coach since Warmath is both depressing and eye-opening."

Fact: Claeys was a first year coach and won nine games.

You state: "a top 30 recruiting class"

Fact: Fleck has not signed a top 30 recruiting class. He might some day, but we won't know that until next spring at the earliest.

Sorry if truth and facts get in the way of your hopes.

Well shucks. It's just a shame that the players that we're going to try to get over the next couple weeks are just completely garbage compared to the guys that everyone else is signing. I was hoping that somebody that focused on recruiting like Fleck would try to bring in higher-level talent instead of just filling in the bottom of the class with warm bodies. Maybe you're wrong and the guys that are being targeted will give the class a boost in addition to filling positional needs that are required (as opposed to Brewstering it up and just being a starbanger, OL needs be damned).

And as for the 2016 class, you're somewhat correct. 9 of the 21 were committed before Kill retired, which isn't more than 11. In that group of 9 were 7 of the top 10 in the class as well as Thomas Barber and Vincent Calhoun. Remember whot he biggest cheerleader/recruiter of that class was? Carter Coughlin. He was signed in March and was calling everyone throughout the process. That had a bit of a role in the class as well.

Coyle and Kaler must be seeing tremendous day to day leadership from coach Fleck in how he handles the program.

The fact they are extending Fleck after just okay results on the field, really must be representative of the improvements Fleck is making in handling the program rather than the only data points that get measured by most fans which is wins and losses.

I can say as a fan, I've never been prouder of how the football team appears to be serving our community.

Maybe the contract extension can negate all the negative recruiting being done against the Gophers.

Didn't the communist intelligence call it disinformation campaign? We now hear called alternative facts. Spread a rumor, and then you can sway a recruit.

How many decommited? What was the class ranked before they all decommited?

He's not far off here, actually. A handful of guys decommited, some on their own while others were "encouraged" to seek a higher education elsewhere. Dredrick Snelson and the Daniels Twins wandered off (no big loss off the field, but we could use Snelson at WR right now), while Sean Foster and Tony Poljan got decomitted. I'd love to have Foster right now, because I'd love to have as many warm bodies in the fat kid group as possible.

If they add players ranked higher than the previous commits they will absolutely move up, I'm sure you already know this. Also why are you predicting where this class will finish but you call anyone who does the same for Claeys stupid?

They're not going to move up. We have 23 committed players, and many of the schools behind us have 15-19 commitments, with much more room to move up by virtue of having room for so many more players. It's basic mathematics.

I'm not predicting where the class will end up, other than knowing with near-100% certainty that it will not move up, and will certainly not finish in the top 30. At most, we will be able to sign 5 more players, while many schools currently behind us will sign 9-13 more and move ahead of us. I know, math is hard.

They're not going to move up. We have 23 committed players, and many of the schools behind us have 15-19 commitments, with much more room to move up by virtue of having room for so many more players. It's basic mathematics.

I'm not predicting where the class will end up, other than knowing with near-100% certainty that it will not move up, and will certainly not finish in the top 30. At most, we will be able to sign 5 more players, while many schools currently behind us will sign 9-13 more and move ahead of us. I know, math is hard.

Again it depends on who they finish the class with. Math isn't hard, if people commit that are higher ranked than the current class the ranking will move up. Shouldn't be that complicated.

Apparently it is the new math, where facts don't really matter and 2+2 can equal 7 if it makes you feel good and fits your narrative.

The statement I disputed was "The fact that 5 wins is the most for a first-year coach since Warmath is both depressing and eye-opening."

Fact: Claeys was a first year coach and won nine games.

You state: "a top 30 recruiting class"

Fact: Fleck has not signed a top 30 recruiting class. He might some day, but we won't know that until next spring at the earliest.

Sorry if truth and facts get in the way of your hopes.

Claeys went 6-6 in his first 12 games as HC. That is a fact.

Again it depends on who they finish the class with. Math isn't hard, if people commit that are higher ranked than the current class the ranking will move up. Shouldn't be that complicated.

I'm going to agree with JohnnyBoy18. He seems to have the best handle on recruiting on this forum.

Top Bottom