Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

This is what we know for sure: Nebraska, Texas aTm, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida and UCLA will all be looking for new coaches. If you don't think Fleck's name is brought for most of these schools you are kidding yourself. I think we can all agree the hiring process is no fun and we don't want to go through it again anytime soon. Love the contract extension or hate it, it was the right thing for the U to do.

He probably went to Coyle and said "Hey I need another year cause this team doesn't have the HOW, so let's count this as year -1, next year as year 0 since we'll even be younger."

This is what we know for sure: Nebraska, Texas aTm, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida and UCLA will all be looking for new coaches. <b>If you don't think Fleck's name is brought for most of these schools you are kidding yourself. </b>I think we can all agree the hiring process is no fun and we don't want to go through it again anytime soon. Love the contract extension or hate it, it was the right thing for the U to do.

I must be kidding myself. I have zero concern any of these schools would come to take PJ. Even if they would, until we know the buyout situation this new contract extension we have no way of knowing whether or not this makes it more difficult for them to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, it boils down to this. Recruits will like it. They've seen our coaching turnover in recent years, and worry that by coming here they are committing to a coach who won't be here when they leave. Recruits will like this extension. It also is another way the University can say "We support this coach, even in the bad years" to the team, the staff, and future recruits.

It could also increase his buyout (obviously we won't know until more details are released), which could have been out of fear he might get poached from another school.

Now the next move by Mark Coyle is to get Gopher Football and Basketball back on WCCO. It is the conduit to reconnecting the U and Gopher sports with all of Minnesota. Stupid move years ago to move away from it.

Gopher Sports are fine where they're at. Look to the future, not the past.

Plus, its probably going to be easier to do incremental buyout (and salary, in the future) increases to be approved by the University than large jumps. That could also be the tactic as well.

Really? Link? That statement is nothing other than wishful thinking.

I don't think there were a lot of "Links" to be found about Gophers hiring Fleck until the day it happened that you would have found as credible.
My point of course is, if you are looking for proof of interest from other teams, it's not going to be published anywhere until it's too late.

Basic demands of the market would show that Fleck was one of the highest regarded options last year, and being he chose Minnesota (which some would find questionable) he would likely be an option again this year in the case things here are worse than he expected.

Again, this is good news from a standpoint of stability, and we all know that if he is horrible, we'll fire him by year 4 or 5 either way. If he's doing incredibly well, we'll re-sign him again next year to a bigger contract.

The added year was at the same rate as the year prior so it does what you need it to do.
Extend the vision that he's our guy so recruits know.
Show potential poachers he's not looking for another year so he doesn't get as many phone calls.
Move forward to next year concentrating on the program.

I don't think there were a lot of "Links" to be found about Gophers hiring Fleck until the day it happened that you would have found as credible.
My point of course is, if you are looking for proof of interest from other teams, it's not going to be published anywhere until it's too late.

Basic demands of the market would show that Fleck was one of the highest regarded options last year, and being he chose Minnesota (which some would find questionable) he would likely be an option again this year in the case things here are worse than he expected.

Again, this is good news from a standpoint of stability, and we all know that if he is horrible, we'll fire him by year 4 or 5 either way. If he's doing incredibly well, we'll re-sign him again next year to a bigger contract.

The added year was at the same rate as the year prior so it does what you need it to do.
Show potential poachers he's not looking for another year so he doesn't get as many phone calls.

So, wishful thinking then?

So, we are going to be doing this every season?

He should have 8-10 years on his contract. Michigan is working on a lifetime deal with Harbaugh.

This new early signing date is turning things upside down and stability will win out.

Outstanding. This is a recruiting move based on the timing and now Fleck can point to his contract and recruit against teams with coaches on the hot seat or who are looking for a coach. Anyone who wants to start over again is part of the problem we have suffered though for so long. Pick a lane and step on the gas. Let's go Gophers!

Fleck has Coyle right where he wants. In his hip pocket with paddle in hand.

Thanks to others, the table is now set for Fleck: great stadium/locker room, solid APR, new practice facility and other digs, long term contract, a practice season just about completed, an AD, and likely a President & BOR's, who have bought in to what he is trying to build.

Get er done Fleck. No excuses. None. No other coach in Gopher history has the resources that he has to work with. Not even close.

After a rough start, Fleck and his little dingy still have a very, very difficult journey ahead littered with many boat wrecks from the past of those who failed.

I must be kidding myself. I have zero concern any of these schools would come to take PJ. Even if they would, until we know the buyout situation this new contract extension we have no way of knowing whether or not this makes it more difficult for them to do so.

So you believe he wasn't highly sought after last year?
or
He was highly sought after last year and in his first year at Minnesota, his stock dropped so much that none of those schools would offer to pay him the same or more?

Outstanding. This is a recruiting move based on the timing and now Fleck can point to his contract and recruit against teams with coaches on the hot seat or who are looking for a coach. Anyone who wants to start over again is part of the problem we have suffered though for so long. Pick a lane and step on the gas. Let's go Gophers!

Agreed and it creates a good buzz for the upcoming recruiting battles for 2018 and 2019. Bateman likes it.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fleck has Coyle right where he wants. In his hip pocket with paddle in hand.

Thanks to others, the table is now set for Fleck: great stadium/locker room, solid APR, new practice facility and other digs, long term contract, a practice season just about completed, an AD, and likely a President & BOR's, who have bought in to what he is trying to build.

Get er done Fleck. No excuses. None. No other coach in Gopher history has the resources that he has to work with. Not even close.

After a rough start, Fleck and his little dingy still have a very, very difficult journey ahead littered with many boat wrecks from the past of those who failed.

He's also armed with something Brew used to lure some 4 starts. Fleck can point to early playing time based on how little success we've seen due to some holes and some lack of development.

I like PJ and all but what even is the point of contracts if they're redone before anyone even has to live with them for a whole season.....?

We cannot expect perfection from the get go. We need to take a deep breath and relax. A program takes 4 to 6 years to be established. Alvarez and Ferentz stayed the course and have build solid programs. They were both 1-10 (0-8) in the Big Ten in their first year.

We wanted someone who is a good coach who can recruit. We've got one. The U is committed and made a move to protect its investment in a young up and coming coach by giving a contract extension.

We have the new facilities, and the commitment to excellence. There will be plenty of criticisms and zig-zagging with rough patches along the way. I am happy as long as we continue to trend up.

My hunch is that the Gophers have the potential to be the No.1 or No. 2 2018 highest recruiting class in the B1G West!

Is five more than nine?? Must be that new math.

Depends on the rest of the math problem, really.

5 + 0 time on the police scanner + a top 30 recruitng class > 9 + The biggest non-academic scandal since 1986 + a recruiting class in the mid-to-low 60s.

Top Bottom