Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Minnesota, Fleck Agree To Extension Into 2023

Note: Coach P.J. Fleck will be available to the media after today's practice at 10:50 a.m. at the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex.

The University of Minnesota and head football coach P.J. Fleck have agreed to a contract extension that will keep Fleck in Maroon and Gold into 2023. The extension will become official pending approval from the Board of Regents at its December meeting.

“It’s an honor to coach at the University of Minnesota and in the Big Ten,” said Fleck. “Mark Coyle and I share the same goal of building a championship culture and team at Minnesota. It’s a goal that we are working on daily together and one that we will achieve. I am proud of how hard our young men have worked to improve this season on living a holistic life. They have taken great strides in bettering themselves athletically, academically, socially and spiritually. I look forward to leading them and watching them grow on and off the field as we continue to move this program forward.”

Fleck was hired by Minnesota on Jan. 6, 2017, and has accomplished a list of firsts in less than a year on the job. Fleck’s five wins this season are the most by a first-year head coach new to the program since the legendary Murray Warmath won seven games in 1954.

Fleck won his Gopher debut against Buffalo, which made him the school’s first head coach to win his debut since John Gutekunst in 1986 (before Fleck, Minnesota’s six most recent head coaches all lost their first game). Minnesota’s dominating 48-14 win at Oregon State made Fleck the first Gopher coach to win his first true road game at Minnesota since 1954 when Warmath and the Gophers won 46-7 at Pittsburgh. Fleck also became the first non-interim Minnesota coach since Warmath to start 3-0 leading the Gophers.

Off the field, the Gophers posted a program record GPA in the spring semester and have constantly been serving and giving to the community. The team hosted a diaper drive and food drive during fall camp and hosted a turkey drive last night for families in need this Thanksgiving. Coach Fleck and his team routinely visit the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital and volunteer with additional local organizations as well.

“When we hired Coach Fleck, I talked about his authentic energy and passion, and his dedication to building a unique team culture. This year, I have seen our students connect with his energy and embrace that culture,” said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. “From the commitment and hard work of our current students, to building a nationally ranked recruiting class that will be among the best in program history, I have seen the foundation of what Coach Fleck is building, and I'm looking forward to supporting him for years to come.”

Fleck, 36, is one the youngest and brightest minds in the game. He came to Minnesota after spending four years as the head coach at Western Michigan, where he was 30-22 overall and 21-11 in the Mid-American Conference. While leading the Broncos, Fleck authored one of the most memorable turnarounds in college football history. The Broncos were 1-11 in his first year in 2013, but ended last season with a No. 12 ranking, a 13-1 record, a conference championship and a berth in the Cotton Bowl.

Wait what? Where did the need for this come about after this year?

Was his buyout increased? I’m guessing this means schools with vacancies or future vacancies were interested in trying to pry him away.

The move is either brilliant or ridiculous, but we won't know for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This helps in recruiting to dispel any notion than PJ Fleck is a flight risk. :cool02:

Was his buyout increased? I’m guessing this means schools with vacancies or future vacancies were interested in trying to pry him away.

That was my first thought as well. I’m a Fleck guy but what he has done in his first year probably isn’t enough to warrant an extension.

This is brilliant and a great strategy! MN needs to stabilize that position and tell the world! No other way out of the cesspool we've been in for 50 years. Fleck is a young proven coach with tons of upside left in his career. The U is telling him they have his back! Looking forward to the U scratching their way out of mediocrity and back to Championship form...then staying there! Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This must be a strategic move by the U to protect their investment in PJ Fleck from poachers. I sure hope that in exchange, they increased his buyout substantially affirming his commitment to be here long term.

They gave an extension to Richard Pitino after he had a bad season. Look at how the team is doing now. Does anybody know what Pitino's buyout is?

I see that bot Fleck and Pitino have great relationships with Coyle. These are the two most important hires.

I'm all for coaching stability so I'm okay with the move, generally.
But he has done nothing to deserve this and I'm not sure how they're going to pay for it when nobody is going to the games after he only wins 3-5 next year.

At this point in time, it seems this would only be done because of the market's competitive demand for coaches and winds of change that we are not entirely aware of. We're locking him in, sending a message. I'm encouraged that the University leadership sees this and is willing to step up to stay competitive on coach's contracts. There is no other choice at this point given our investment in the Athletic Village, either you stay competitive or lose any credibility being built by our basketball program and send the message to the rest of college sports that Minnesota really isn't serious about developing (maintaining - basketball) a top football and basketball program. Will it pay off? We'll know in 2-3 years.

I'm on board, support PJ and what he's trying to establish 100%! RTB, Ski U Mah!!

Being proactive, I like it. Something we haven't seen here in the past.

“When we hired Coach Fleck, I talked about his authentic energy and passion, and his dedication to building a unique team culture. This year, I have seen our students connect with his energy and embrace that culture,” said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. “From the commitment and hard work of our current students, to building a nationally ranked recruiting class that will be among the best in program history, I have seen the foundation of what Coach Fleck is building, and I'm looking forward to supporting him for years to come.”

I hate to split hairs, but every school has a nationally ranked recruiting class. Even the ones ranked 120th...

Does this mean next year is year 0 of the new contract? I kid...

The fans love this. The trolls hate this!

I hate to split hairs, but every school has a nationally ranked recruiting class. Even the ones ranked 120th...

Apparently you missed the part after that states "that will be among the best in program history"

Brilliant? How so?

If he turns out to be a better coach than what we've seen this year then it will be a brilliant move. The guy had a 12-1 season in the MAC. That's not an easy thing to do. He must be better than this.

Great and at the right time!!

Brilliant? How so?

First signing day is a month away and this will answer questions in the minds and solidify recruits decisions. Great timing in the announcement.

Brilliant? How so?

I don't know. I guess if 2020 comes around and things look good we will be glad we did this. In any event, 2023 is like "Year 2" in PJ math so he deserves a chance to coach that far.

First signing day is a month away and this will answer questions in the minds and solidify recruits decisions. Great timing in the announcement.

Exactly. Especially with the number of jobs that are about to come open and with Fleck hitting the recruiting trail on Sunday.

He's in month 10 of a five year contract. They are worried he will get plucked in year zero?

He's in month 10 of a five year contract. They are worried he will get plucked in year zero?

Of course. Thinking he won't is low level thinking.

Love it. Adds some more stability and shows the top dogs at the University are going to do what is necessary to keep the coaches we need to have successful sports programs.

Hopefully they continue to up the buyout year after year

If he turns out to be a better coach than what we've seen this year then it will be a brilliant move. The guy had a 12-1 season in the MAC. That's not an easy thing to do. He must be better than this.

He did?

Top Bottom