Q&A: Oturu on the U: "When that journey starts, I am going to try to leave my mark."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Oturu on the U: "When that journey starts, I am going to try to leave my mark."

Q&A: Daniel Oturu on the U: "When that journey starts, I am going to try to leave my mark there."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/859337?referrer_id=

Daniel Oturu, a 6-foot-9 senior center from St. Paul (MN) Cretin-Derham Hall, committed to Minnesota in February, picking the Gophers over Kansas, Nebraska, Baylor, Georgia Tech and Memphis. He made it official by signing with Minnesota in the early signing period.

Oturu is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number two prospect from Minnesota in the class.

Oturu averaged 20.0 points, 16.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.5 steals and 6.5 blocked shots per game for the Raiders, who finished 23-9 and was third in the Class AAAA state tournament.He scored in double figures in all but one games with 15 games of 20 or more points, including a season-best 33 points versus Woodbury. Oturu grabbed double figure rebounds in every game but two with four games of 20 or more rebounds, including a season-high 26 versus St. Paul Central. He shot 69.3% from the field and 68.9% from the charity stripe.

Gopher Hole caught up with Oturu Sunday to learn signing with Minnesota last week and his upcoming senior season.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota earlier this month. What was that feeling like finally getting that done with?

Daniel Oturu: It was really good. I’m happy that I got it over with and I can really focus on getting stuff done in school and focus on my basketball season, because I know that is going to come later and I am going to work hard to get to my goal.

Gopher Hole: We had talked before about your Howard Pulley teammates Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Thomas, who will be joining you at Minnesota. You guys have been very close and been to a lot of things together. How nice is it that you are all going to be teammates next year?

Daniel Oturu: It is really nice because we played together this summer and we had that chemistry of playing with each other, so I am really excited for what’s to come.

Gopher Hole: I know that you made your official all together the other week and went to the Gopher football game. What was that experience like?

Daniel Oturu: It was really fun. Just hanging out with the guys. Being able to be around them and being around that “Gopher atmosphere.” It got more excited for my freshman year.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to see the season opener?

Daniel Oturu: No, I haven’t gotten a chance to see them, but I seen the box scores and how they’ve been playing and they look like they have been playing really well, so I am excited to watch them this season.

Gopher Hole: Does that get you more excited because the team two years ago had a very bad year, but the team rebounded last season. Does that get you excited to see where the program is headed?

Daniel Oturu: It gets me excited because I am ready to continue to build off what these people what these guys are doing and continue the success there when I get there.

Gopher Hole: You are finally a senior. Is that weird to finally be a senior?

Daniel Oturu: Yes. It feels like yesterday I just started my first day of high school. To be honest, it is a blessing in disguise because it is another opportunity to open up a new chapter in my life.

Gopher Hole: Cretin is expected to be one of the top teams in the state with everyone basically back from last year. What would it mean to you to maybe win a state title as a senior?

Daniel Oturu: It would mean the world. My squad hasn’t won a state title in like 20 years, so we are trying to end that streak and be able to win our first title in a long time, so I’m really excited.

Gopher Hole: You guys are playing a really tough non-conference schedule and you play in a good conference. How much do you think that helps you as a player continue to improve?

Daniel Oturu: It helps me a lot because I’m playing against the best players in the state all the time, so there is never a game that you can easily win. There are games like that, but always have got to treat everybody like a champion. No matter if they are the worst team, you have to treat them like a champion. In order to be the best, you have to treat everybody like the best.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Daniel Oturu: My outside shooting and attacking the basket. I feel like I am getting better at attacking the basket. It is opening up my game more.

Gopher Hole: What is it going to mean to you as a freshman next year to walk onto Williams Arena for the first time?

Daniel Oturu: It will mean a lot because I have been preaching that I want to make my state proud. When that journey starts, I am going to try to leave my mark there.

I am so glad he is a gopher. And he jumped on board early and has been a great promoter to other players.

I am so glad he is a gopher. And he jumped on board early and has been a great promoter to other players.

Indeed, and we can hope his very positive message is heard by other Minnesota recruits.

Not sure if we get both Jarvis and Gabe if Oturu hadn't jumped on board so early. He was an awesome building block for this class.

Top Bottom