STrib: P.J. Fleck benches Gophers receivers: 'I don't enjoy them dropping the ball'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck sent a message Tuesday: If you don’t catch the football, you might not play.

The Gophers released their depth chart for Saturday’s game against No. 5 Wisconsin, and a trio of redshirt freshmen — Mark Williams, Phillip Howard and Clay Geary — are listed as starters. Conspicuously absent from the depth chart — a document that is subject to change — were junior Rashad Still, who made a 36-yard reception in last week’s 39-0 loss at Northwestern, and senior Eric Carter, who was listed as a starter against the Wildcats.

Minnesota (5-6, 2-6 Big Ten) got little from its passing game Saturday, with leading receiver Tyler Johnson sidelined for the rest of the regular season because of a broken left hand. Quarterback Demry Croft completed his first two passes for 43 yards but was 0-for-9 with three interceptions the rest of the game, and his receivers dropped six passes.

“We’ve got to coach ’em better,” Fleck said. “… If you do the right things, you’re going to be a part of this program. If you don’t do the right things, you’re not going to be part of this program.”

Fleck said the changes weren’t suspensions, but he did imply players needed to pay attention to their craft.

“It’s one of those things that goes for every area, it goes for working on getting your game better,” he said. “That’s not just the 20 hours that you’re allowed during practice. That’s getting yourself better so that when you do get in game situations, whether you’re experienced or not experienced, whether you’re young or you’re old, you get in there and you execute.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...don-t-enjoy-them-dropping-the-ball/459219543/

Go Gophers!!

Hey Fleck, coach the ****ing game and stop throwing your entire team under the bus for your incompetence. Thanks.

Odd article.
Still, yes he didn't have a good game and dropped a couple balls while also having a miscommunication on the first int. He has not improved with the coaching this year and in all reality has gotten worse. I can see why he is not starting.
Carter hasn't seen the field on Off. for quite some time. He's never been a burner but has caught the ball when in previous years when given the chance. Not sure why he hasn't seen the field lately.
Howard has had a few drops, but he is still getting the start. Doesn't seem to be sending the same message to him as Still.

I believe Howard and Williams have some raw talent that just need more time to develop. Both will be good contributors in the future.

Still has shown flashes of becoming a good WR, but hasn't been consistent. With him, I feel it is a maturity issue. He looks like a free spirit and that doesn't jive well with the way PJ runs things.

Players being held accountable for their mistakes on the field. What a great idea. Send a message, and hopefully lights a fire under some of these players. Also sends a message to the freshmen that they can play and give them some momentum moving into next season

Hey Fleck, coach the ****ing game and stop throwing your entire team under the bus for your incompetence. Thanks.

I don't think anyone here would call me a Fleckster, but I am totally ok with this. Take advantage of your opportunities or sit on the bench.

I don't think anyone here would call me a Fleckster, but I am totally ok with this. Take advantage of your opportunities or sit on the bench.

^ Fleckster.

:cool:

Go Gophers!!

Especially as upperclassmen. These are guys that are supposed to be carrying the team and setting an example.

per Randy

Fleck said the changes weren’t suspensions, but he did imply players needed to pay attention to their craft.
Huh?? Suspending guys for dropping passes?? Guys get suspended for breaking team rules, being accused of crimes, etc. If we suspended guys for poor play we would have a minute roster.

“We’ve got to coach ’em better,” Fleck said. “… If you do the right things, you’re going to be a part of this program. If you don’t do the right things, you’re not going to be part of this program.”

So, is it coaching, or is it the players' fault? "We've got to coach 'em better" seems to be indicating the coaches haven't done all they can to help the WR's succeed. But then, Fleck turns around and says "If you don't do the right things, you're not going to be part of this program," which indicates it's the players' problem for not doing the right things.

I'm sorry, but this seems to be another mixed message from the coach.

Sideline reporter said Eric Carter was having his lower leg looked at vs NW. He's been in and out with injuries pretty much all season it seems. I'm blanking tonight but he may have been hurt part of last year as well. Too bad, seemed to have some skill and decent hands. Probably pulled a muscle leaping for those Mitch bombs.

So, is it coaching, or is it the players' fault? "We've got to coach 'em better" seems to be indicating the coaches haven't done all they can to help the WR's succeed. But then, Fleck turns around and says "If you don't do the right things, you're not going to be part of this program," which indicates it's the players' problem for not doing the right things.

Don't think he's talking about catching the ball.

Thank goodness Brian Anderson isn't still coaching them. I thought he was all the reason for the poor play of the Wr's.

Thank goodness Brian Anderson isn't still coaching them. I thought he was all the reason for the poor play of the Wr's.

He’s responsible for what we currently have, that’s why he’s still jobless. So yeah thank goodness he is gone.

The drops in that NW game were brutal. Glad a younger player is getting a chance because it’s clear that Still has not mastered the position yet.

Not sure why they still publish depth charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see...Coach Fleck promotes Still (a recent athlete turned WR) and Johnson, Williams, and Howard (all converted QBs) into the starting receiver corp- and then calls them out for not being Chris Carters.
Seems like a little pass deflection to me...

Ornery, apology accepted. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It can be both. Its that darn team thing where everyone has to do their part. Coaches tell them what can be done to improve outside of practice and players do it. During practice there is only so much individual coaching time to devote to each player - in reality we're probably talking a couple minutes and its in 3-10 second increments.

If nothing else it helps to build depth at the reciever position for next year. Can't hurt to have more guys that have played in a game. The game might not end up like we hope though.

Ornery, apology accepted. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It can be both. Its that darn team thing where everyone has to do their part. Coaches tell them what can be done to improve outside of practice and players do it. During practice there is only so much individual coaching time to devote to each player - in reality we're probably talking a couple minutes and its in 3-10 second increments.

If they increase their non-practice time by practicing more, would they then not be failing to uphold the academic side of the SASA Square?

Let's see...Coach Fleck promotes Still (a recent athlete turned WR) and Johnson, Williams, and Howard (all converted QBs) into the starting receiver corp- and then calls them out for not being Chris Carters.
Seems like a little pass deflection to me...

You have got to be kidding me. Our receivers have been bad all year, he isn't calling them out for not being superstars. And as for the former QB thing, he is working with what he has, all those guys have been playing receiver for a while, if they can't catch that falls on the previous staff for recruiting them to play receiver.

Benching players who screw up or under perform is coaching. Failing to do that would be a lack of coaching, like when Mitch threw 4 interceptions against Wisconsin and still played. There is some hypocrisy here, but it's in the fact that you didn't bench Howard who chest bumped a TD pass to a Wisconsin defender's hands and didn't pull Demry for Rhoda late to at least show some consistancy. Would be interested in hearing Fleck's answer to that if someone called him out on it.

I have no problem with coach benching players for underperforming. I only wonder who benches coach for the same?

When Fleck says "it's my fault" he's highlighting the fact that it's not his fault. That's insulting, but I can't blame him on this one. We don't have a WR who can catch the ball. We have a freshman walkon on the depth chart, which I applaud. I hope he plays, makes a catch and continues to be targeted.

We were told Simon is the guy to get it done. Still waiting......................

Just glad to see catching the ball might actually be an accountable metric.

Since Coach himself played WR, maybe he's reaching a point where he can focus on that position similar to JK with special teams.

Time will tell.

Does anyone know what Douglas injury was? I must have missed the reason and was curious.

Thanks

Does anyone know what Douglas injury was? I must have missed the reason and was curious.

Thanks

Someone can correct me but believe he broke his foot. Speculation only this part but a lot of prominent NFL receivers have had lisfranc fractures the last few years.

Well, I get it. There were some drops last week that would have been head scratching in a Tuesday night intramural league, let alone from B1G players.

Is there anyone else left, though? I see PJF already has to go with Howard, who dropped a sure TD last week to card another INT for his QB. That drop made the under hit, though!

Top Bottom