Total meltdown on the Iowa blackheartgoldpants basketball blog

bballjunkie

Reaction score
Sorry, but I am getting joy out of the meltdown the fans are having. Losing to the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns started the meltdown yesterday but today when they lost to South Dakota State they went full on. As much as I love my Gophers, I also equally hate the "Hogeyes". I have always thought Fran McCaffery is the biggest jerk in the conference, I bet he gave the refs a mouth full in this latest loss.

Sounds like the schandenfreude that other Big Ten fans are getting via our football board :(

Iowa fans could not shut up about how they lost to the Gophers at the Barn last year. I hope they lose every game this year.

Not only did I get great enjoyment out of Iowa losing, I'm even happier my second favorite team beat them.

We should schedule at least 2 of USD, SDSU, NSDU each year. They're all usually decent and bring some people to the Barn.

We should schedule at least 2 of USD, SDSU, NSDU each year. They're all usually decent and bring some people to the Barn.

We have for many years, and they never really brought that many people to the barn.

We have for many years, and they never really brought that many people to the barn.

Many is relative I suppose. An extra 500 fans when there's only 7,000 in the building isn't nothing. But the larger point is that they're decent competition. What's the argument against it?

I feel like threads like this or tweets from Gopher fans about this are just begging for the Gophers to take a bad loss at Carver Hawkeye this year. I really dislike Fran, but the guy is a good coach, his teams find a way to overachieve in conference play almost every year (ex:rallied to a winning conference record last year after a rough non-conference). That said, if Iowa would like to get rid of Fran that would make me very happy. Much more likely they end up in the Lickliter era again than they hire someone who is better than Fran.

I feel like threads like this or tweets from Gopher fans about this are just begging for the Gophers to take a bad loss at Carver Hawkeye this year. I really dislike Fran, but the guy is a good coach, his teams find a way to overachieve in conference play almost every year (ex:rallied to a winning conference record last year after a rough non-conference). That said, if Iowa would like to get rid of Fran that would make me very happy. Much more likely they end up in the Lickliter era again than they hire someone who is better than Fran.

I thought Fran's "good" teams from 14-16 we're disappointments in conference play. Always seemed to be contending in January and fell to the middle by late February

Fran seems to always look like he's pissed off at something and flapping his gums, but he is a decent Big10 coach and the few times I've seen them play its a grueling game.

Not sure what is better. Iowa’s slow start or seeing the badgers losing three of their first five non conference games.

To be fair, the Lickliter era was a bit of an aberration at Iowa (note that he was fired after three years). Before Lickliter, their run of coaches consisted of Lute Olson, George Raveling, Tom Davis, and Steve Alford. A few years before Lute Olson started they had Ralph Miller. Not too shabby of a coaching history.

McCaffery's problem is that he has few guards and even less perimeter quickness. He has depth upfront but they are young and not particularly athletic by Big Ten standards either. He's had teams before that have struggled in non-conference but played better than expected in conference, but this team might not be able to pull that off.

I'm not sure about that. For seven years, his teams have been mediocre (although never bad, and certainly not catastrophic like the Gophers two years ago). But he can't coach defense to save his life, and he's the clear number one overall pick in the "Coach Most Likely to Stroke Out During a Game" draft.

Top Bottom