2018 Gopher Baseball

Gophers jump out to a 3-0 lead, after the 1st inning, over Indiana. Game's on BTN
Now 6-0 in the top of 6....

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Gophers win 9-1 today to and clinch the series. Big moment in the game happened in the bottom of the 1st. Luke Pettersen singled and Riley Smith doubled to set up 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. Terrin Vavra drilled a ground ball to 1st and the Gophers didn't risk sending the runner and then Eli Wilson was called out on strikes on a very borderline pitch. Toby Hanson fouled off a number of pitches before hitting a ground ruled double to right field and Cole McDevitt followed with a double of his own. If Indiana gets Hanson out and the Gophers don't score with that situation in the 1st who knows how the rest of the game goes. Patrick Fredrickson got another win with another good start. Really good first couple innings but struggled with command in the 3rd and 4th but everytime he needed a big pitch he came up with it. Final line was 7 innings 2 hits 3 walks and 8 strikeouts. Fred Manke pitched the final 2 innings and allowed 1 run on 2 hits and struck out 1. Gophers had homeruns from Alex Boxwell, Cole McDevitt, and Terrin Vavra. Doubles from Luke Pettersen, Riley Smith, Toby Hanson, and Cole McDevitt. Multi hit games from Vavra, Pettersen, Hanson, and McDevitt. Gophers should have a pretty rested bullpen ready to go tomorrow so probably a short leash for whoever gets the call to start tomorrow. Tomorrows game will again be on BTN.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There you go boys. They were talking on the telecast that MN is a possibility for a Regional. That would be amazing.

There you go boys. They were talking on the telecast that MN is a possibility for a Regional. That would be amazing.

I guess in theory you would need to be recognized as a top 16 program to host a regional, correct? With Minnesota's luck, we would probably need to be a solid top ten team.

Schedule won't help the RPI at all the next 2 weeks but just have to keep winning games. If we can stay in the top 25 in the RPI and end up winning the conference I think we would have a solid chance.

Schedule won't help the RPI at all the next 2 weeks but just have to keep winning games. If we can stay in the top 25 in the RPI and end up winning the conference I think we would have a solid chance.

The NCAA still does consider income and attendance. Only having 800+ at these games against the other ranked team in the conference is disappointing.

The NCAA still does consider income and attendance. Only having 800+ at these games against the other ranked team in the conference is disappointing.
Not sure how big of impact it would have on the actual host selection but I do agree there should be more people there and the guys deserve more people there. Don't think it helps any that the university has softball and baseball start out within a hour of one another. Should have softball start a couple hours before baseball and then the fans that want to catch both can catch pretty much full games of both.

Doesn't help when lot 37 is charging $20 for parking

Not sure how big of impact it would have on the actual host selection but I do agree there should be more people there and the guys deserve more people there. Don't think it helps any that the university has softball and baseball start out within a hour of one another. Should have softball start a couple hours before baseball and then the fans that want to catch both can catch pretty much full games of both.
Agree, especially with the ladies selling out Cowles on a regular basis. Would be nice stagger game times to allow folks to attend both in one day.

As for the team, the guys are in a really good groove. Hopefully they can carry it through for the rest of the season.

Couldn't get B10 Network today (Sunday), did we sweep Indiana?

Still playing. 6-6 in the 10th...

Game over, Gophers walk off in 10th, Pettersen brings home McDevitt for 7-6 win and the sweep.

What a win! Indiana led the majority of the game and it looked like after a homerun to go up 6-3 in the top of the 8th the Gophers might have to settle for just the series win. Gophers responded in the bottom of the 8th though as Eli Wilson led off with a solo homerun, Toby Hanson grounded out, Cole McDevitt hit a solo homerun, Micah Coffey struck out, and Jordan Kozicky hit a solo homerun to tie things up before a strikeout ended the inning. Max Meyer got a strikeout, a single, and a tailor made double play ball to end the top of the 9th and give the Gophers a chance for the walkoff. Luke Pettersen walked, Riley Smith put down a sac bunt, Ben Mezzenga was intentionally walked, and then it looked like the Gophers won as Eli Wilson hit a hard ground ball that bounced off the shortstop and into centerfield but the ump said the ball deflected off Pettersen. Was hard to tell if it really hit him or not my problem was the ump showed no sign of making the call until the ball sat in centerfield for a few seconds and the Indiana shortstop was having a fit. Toby Hanson drilled a line drive but it was right at the shortstop to end the inning. Max Meyer got a soft grounder to 1st and 2 strikeouts to give the Gophers another opportunity at the walkoff. Cole McDevitt led off with a walk, Micah Coffey put down a sac bunt, Jordan Kozicky was hit by the pitch, Alex Boxwell struck out 1 pitch after he was very close to being hit by the pitch, and Luke Pettersen hit a single to right field Gophers sent McDevitt and he beat the strong throw from Logan Sowers who has one of the better arms in the country. Terrin Vavra left the game after the 3rd inning after being hit by a pitch on the helmet. Guessing it was just precautionary as Vavra was allowed to finish running on the basepaths but didn't come defensively for the 4th and Vavra didn't look real happy he had to come out when they showed him in the dugout a few times. On the mound Sam Thoresen started and announcers said he has been dealing with some soreness and that is why the starter was TBD. Sam went 1.1 innings and allowed 4 runs on 4 hits walking 1 hitting 1 and striking out 2. Thoresen actually only allowed 1 run but 3 inherited runners scored when Jackson Rose came in it looked like he would escape just allowing 1 but he left a 2 strike slider up in the zone and Indiana did a good job of taking advantage of mistake pitches today. Rose went 2.1 innings and allowed 1 run on 4 hits. Brett Schulze went the next 3.1 innings and did not give up a run working around 5 hits and 3 walks as his command wasn't what it usually is. Schulze also struck out 2. Jake Stevenson pitched the 8th and struck out the first 2 batters before allowing a solo homerun to center that was really just a good piece of hitting, a groundout would end his inning. Max Meyer got the win pitching 2 innings allowing 1 hit and striking out 3. At the plate Terrin Vavra, Eli Wilson, Cole McDevitt, and Jordan Kozicky all had homeruns. Wilson had 4 hits while McDevitt and Riley Smith each had 2. No midweek games are scheduled this week as I believe finals are this week.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also in the thanks for nothing department I saw in a article this week that the B1G offices confirmed that the umps missed the call last Sunday in Columbus and apologized to Coach Anderson. They said runners interference should've been called to end the game.

The TV replay made it pretty clear the ball hit Petterson. He made a nice effort to try to dodge it, but it grazed his ankle and changed the direction of the ball. TV didn't show the ump's reaction in real-time, only calling him out after he crossed the plate. Heart breaker at the time, but nice finish.

The 3 relievers for Indiana that gave up the final 4 runs to the Gophers had not given up a run all year combined.

That was a fantastic finish and a great sweep. Here's hoping Vavra leaving was nothing serious. Still searching for that elusive 3rd starter though. Love the camaraderie of this team.

Having seen a good deal of Gophers softball & baseball in recent years, I notice that most of the fans are school kids in groups, middle-aged folks, and lots of senior citizens. What's missing in the stands is U of MN students. They are conspicuous in their absence. They would swell the crowds immensely if they bothered to show up.

The 3 relievers for Indiana that gave up the final 4 runs to the Gophers had not given up a run all year combined.

I think the three homers in the eighth really crushed the Hoosiers mentally. They never really responded after that while the Gophers built on the momentum heading into both the ninth and 10th frames. If you're Indiana, gotta rebound quick with Kentucky coming up next.

I'll admit that once it got to 6-3, I thought it was done. But the guys stayed consistent in their mindset, waited for their opportunities and took full advantage. Big-time sweep (which has now vaulted their RPI all the way up to 14!).

From here, gotta keep feet on the gas and take care of business.

Updated B1G standings with RPI and final weekend schedules
Minnesota 14-3 (14) – vs MSU, @ Rutgers
Michigan 14-3 (47) – vs Illinois, @ Purdue
Purdue 13-4 (59) - @ Ohio St, vs Michigan
Ohio State 11-7 (31) – vs Purdue, @ MSU
Illinois 11-7 (57) - @ Michigan, vs Nebraska
Iowa 9-7 (50) - @ NW, vs PSU
Indiana 9-8 (24) - @ Nebraska, vs Maryland
Mich St 8-9 (216) - @ MN, vs OSU
Rutgers 7-11 (154) - @ Maryland, vs MN
Nebraska 6-10 (113) – vs Indiana, @ Illinois
Maryland 6-11 (114) – vs Rutgers, @ Indiana
NW 4-17 (232) – vs Iowa, <bye>
PSU 3-18 (238) - <bye>, @ Iowa
You gotta love the Gophers chances to win the conference. Michigan and Purdue each have a tough challenge next weekend and then beat up on one another. For their tough schedule thusfar, Iowa is being rewarded with what should be a 6-0 finish. They have a good chance at the 3 or 4 seed, IMHO. MSU has the 8th seed currently but they have a tough schedule to finish up. I don’t think they’ll hold it. The winner of the Rutgers/Maryland series will be good position. Both have a tough series to finish the season.
My prediction:
1 – MN
2 – Purdue
3 – Michigan
4 – Iowa
5 – Ohio State
6 – Illinois
7 – Indiana
8 – Maryland

NCAA:
In: Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio State
Bubble (likely in): Iowa
Bubble (likely out): Michigan, Purdue, Illinois

Up to #15 in the D1 Baseball Poll. Indiana tumbles out after getting swept.

Chip: John Anderson, in 37 years coaching Gophers baseball, leads by different standards

Anderson still had visions of winning national titles. Aberman encouraged him to reflect on his style of coaching, the challenges he faced and what he wanted his program to represent.

“I’m not sure I would have made it this long without [Aberman],” Anderson said. “I probably would have crashed and burned.”

Anderson became more patient. He stopped choosing captains and instead focused on leadership training for all players. He became a “transformational” coach who is more concerned about player development than being fixated on records and standings.

“It’s not that I wasn’t competitive or didn’t want to win,” he said. “We just weren’t going to win as much as Florida State or Texas or UCLA. We reset our expectations and standards and started to build a better culture.”

The result is a program that has produced 10 Big Ten regular-season titles and 300-plus Academic All-Big Ten selections. His loyal assistant of 33 years, Rob Fornasiere, deserves credit, too. Anderson insists on it.

“I wouldn’t have lasted this long if I didn’t have an assistant like that,” Anderson said.

Anderson, who turns 63 next week, has three years left on his contract. He still loves coaching and adores his current team. He has remained in one job for nearly four decades because he refused to let circumstances define his program.

http://www.startribune.com/john-and...eball-leads-by-different-standards/481989831/

Go Gophers!!

Will John Anderson find the answer?

The biggest struggle this baseball team has right now is finding a third starter for the weekend. You are playing with fire having your third starter go only 2 to 3 innings a game. It seems like it's been that way all year long. I know some of you will say Fredrickson came in as a third starter but you get the point (one of our starters has always struggled on the weekends). Eventually that will catch up to you.

The third starter does not need to be lights out but someone who is consistent. Tom Buske type pitcher comes to mind. Tom was someone who was not lights out but kept you in every ball game. His senior year he finished 9-4, with an era around 3.5.

I think Anderson has been a good coach but at times I still think he moves too slow in trying to figure out his pitching rotation. I have doubts Anderson will find an answer. If 14 proves me wrong, I would be the happiest guy on the planet.

The biggest struggle this baseball team has right now is finding a third starter for the weekend. You are playing with fire having your third starter go only 2 to 3 innings a game. It seems like it's been that way all year long. I know some of you will say Fredrickson came in as a third starter but you get the point (one of our starters has always struggled on the weekends). Eventually that will catch up to you.

The third starter does not need to be lights out but someone who is consistent. Tom Buske type pitcher comes to mind. Tom was someone who was not lights out but kept you in every ball game. His senior year he finished 9-4, with an era around 3.5.

I think Anderson has been a good coach but at times I still think he moves too slow in trying to figure out his pitching rotation. I have doubts Anderson will find an answer. If 14 proves me wrong, I would be the happiest guy on the planet.

If the Gophers get into a Regional, which seems very likely barring some sort of epic collapse to end the season, I think the #3 starter (They have to get to the 3rd game to worry about it.) will depend on how deep Meyer and Fredrickson go on Friday and Saturday:

-If both go 7 innings or better, Brett Schulze will be the Sunday starter in a Regional. I would be shocked if he wasn't in this scenario. That is a quality #3 arm in a Regional.

-If either Meyer or Fredrickson don't have a quality start and have to be relieved by Schulze, 14 has options. Lackney, Thoresen (On a very short leash. He either has his control that day or he doesn't.), Stevenson, and Culliver.

The Gophers have one of the better lineups from top to bottom in the country. If they can win the first two games of a Regional I like their chances to hit their way to a 3rd win if they have to.

It's funny how everyone has been trying to figure out who the third weekend starter should be when he has been in the bullpen this season after being the #2 starter his freshman season in 2017. The bullpen has been solid most of the season but it would have had a much different look if Brett Schulze had been starting from the beginning of the season. 14 has continued to push the right buttons in key situations and the players have stepped up and excelled in different roles this season than last year. The freshmen have been solid but so have vital/key players like Reggie Meyer and Schulze.

The key thing in regionals is to not lose the first game. Win the first two and you are golden. Then the third guy is facing midweek guys and the bullpen. Quality starts from your top two guys sets you up for success.

The key thing in regionals is to not lose the first game. Win the first two and you are golden. Then the third guy is facing midweek guys and the bullpen. Quality starts from your top two guys sets you up for success.
This is exactly it. If you can keep getting 7+ solid innings from Meyer and Fredrickson it doesn't matter as much who starts game 3 because they are on a pretty short leash anyway with a rested bullpen. The nice thing this year is the pitching depth is so much better than it has been in past years. I mean just look at the number of guys who have started games Meyer, Fredrickson, Thoresen, Lackney, Culliver, and Stevenson there is 6 and then Schulze has started in the past. Last year in the B1G tournament we basically had Gilbreath, Meyer, Anderson, and Schulze that had started games during the season.

It's funny how everyone has been trying to figure out who the third weekend starter should be when he has been in the bullpen this season after being the #2 starter his freshman season in 2017. The bullpen has been solid most of the season but it would have had a much different look if Brett Schulze had been starting from the beginning of the season. 14 has continued to push the right buttons in key situations and the players have stepped up and excelled in different roles this season than last year. The freshmen have been solid but so have vital/key players like Reggie Meyer and Schulze.
14 said he has been tempted to put Schulze back into the rotation but didn't want to mess with a good thing and I feel the same as him. Schulze has just been so good out of the bullpen that I wouldn't take any chances moving him right now.

Top Bottom