2018 Gopher Baseball

Ugly game from the Gophers today. Pretty much the opposite of yesterday. Offensively too many quick at bats not making the pitcher work as hard as they did yesterday. Gophers used 3 pitchers Nick Lackney, Brett Schulze, and Bubba Horton and I don't think any of them had a real good feel as control was often a problem not just walks but not locating well and we were consistently behind in counts today. Gophers gave Nebraska 7 free baserunners via walks and errors and also gave up a few free bases via wild pitches, walks, and errors. I'm sure the weather conditions effected guys a little but there will probably be a few games where weather is an issue although maybe not as cold as today. Whatever the issue was just gotta overcome it and now the guys just need to put it in the rear view mirror and go win the series tomorrow.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice win today. 2-0. Freshman pitching could turn into something special.

Patrick Fredrickson was real good again getting the win with 7 shutout innings 4 hits 1 walk and 6 strikeouts. Max Meyer made his first appearance of the weekend getting the save going 2 innings walking 1 and striking out 1. Nebraska did not have a base runner reach with less than 2 outs until the lead off walk in the 9th. Was a bit of an unlucky day at the plate for the Gophers as they had at least 7-8 hard hit at'em balls that could've opened the game up a little bit. Jack Wassel sparked the Gophers a little bit with a leadoff single in the 5th on a 10 pitch at bat and took 2nd on a bobble by the centerfielder. Eli Wilson followed with a walk and Luke Pettersen moved both over with a sac bunt. Ben Mezzenga roped one down the 1st base line and the 1st baseman got a glove on it by it still rolled into the outfield to score both runners. 2 hit days for both Mezzenga and Eli Wilson. Toby Hanson left the game in the middle of his at bat in the 8th holding his right hand after popping a pitch up foul out of play. Hopefully nothing serious as Hanson is a key part of the lineup and there was nothing you could really see happen when they showed the replay a few times. Gophers face St. Johns next in a Thursday-Saturday series at U.S. Bank.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great series win, finally beat the Huskers. Great pitching from both of the freshmen. Damn it was cold at the games. Need to take 2 from St. John's for the RPI.

It is a great park. I had Husker season tickets there from 2000-2008. The Huskers went to the CWS 3 times in that span. Regional and super-regionals with 9-10000 fans at the game, it was crazy. Then they joined the B1G and I couldn't cheer for them anymore. Just go to few games a year, love college baseball though. Nebraska does love college baseball. I don't know if the CWS would work anywhere else.

Couple of thoughts

1. We absolutely need to take two out of three from St, Johns. That will not be easy, even at home. St. Johns pitching staff as a whole ERA is 2.25. A very good pitching team.

2. Time to give someone else a shot at the number two starting pitcher on the weekends. I said the same thing three weeks ago for the number 3 spot in the rotation. Frederickson was not my first choice, but I said they need a change there, even if it's him. I like Lackney and I think he has a bright future in front of him, but it's time to try someone else. Is it Shulze, Fasching, or Bubba, for the spot? Who knows, but I think a change is needed?

3. I still think this team has a chance to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, but time will only tell.

Gophers game notes have the rotation as Lackney tomorrow, R. Meyer Friday, and Fredrickson Saturday. Probably makes some sense after Lackney had the short start last weekend and keeps Reggie on regular rest.

Very key series this weekend for the Gophers. Will be watching Lackney to see how he looks and if his control is better after having to pitch in the cold and windy conditions in Lincoln last Saturday. Schulze has been very sharp with the exception of the same cold weather conditions Saturday. Bubba has looked very good and should get some innings in crunch time this weekend. Hope the bats wake up for the final indoor games in Minneapolis for a couple years. The Gophers are getting a raw deal next year but unless they play some April games inside U.S. Bank after the Final Four next spring, the next time we can watch them inside will be 2020.

Toby Hanson did not play and the announcers said he has a sling on and will not play this weekend and is currently week to week. Nick Lackney had another rough start and you have to think someone else will get a look in his weekend spot next time out. Lackney got hit hard and only lasted 1+ innings. In 6 run 2nd for St. Johns there was a misplayed ball that took a big bounce over our outfielder and rolled to the wall to clear the bases and a fly ball to deep center that should've been caught and I'd bet 99% of the time is caught by Ben Mezzenga. Despite the early 9-0 deficit the Gophers put plenty of runners on and gave themselves chances to get back in it but just did not come through with hits when they needed them. The Gophers left 13 on base in the game and had a couple innings where bases were loaded and nobody out and they only managed to get 1 run in those situations which isn't gonna happen to this team too much. Need to get off to a much better start tomorrow night and just keep winning series.

That was terrible. We left after the fifth. Keystone cops routine in the outfield. It looked like we were the team that had never played in the park. First two pitchers throwing BP. Strange night in CBB.
Lots of upsets.

After watching Lackney on the mound last night, it will be interesting to see what if any change is made in the rotation. There are clearly options available in the bullpen with last season's Saturday starter, Brett Schulze, available along with his high school teammate Bubba Horton. Jeff Fasching is also a possibility although he has been used mostly in spot duty in the past. With the Big Ten season about to get into full speed next weekend, a change could be made soon.

Another bad game.

Except for the bottom of the ninth LOL.

Gophers scores 5 times in the bottom of the 9th and wins it 9-8 on a Balk.

Lot of fight shown from the Gophers tonight. Basically just took advantage of what St. Johns gave them in the 9th. I saw McDevitt talk to the homeplate ump a few times last night, Fornasiere talk to the 3rd base ump after an inning tonight, and Anderson talk to the homeplate ump both yesterday and tonight and I'm pretty sure it was about St. Johns pitchers balking. A lot of times they don't come to a set and quick pitch you and the Gophers have been upset with it and good to see the umps finally call it a couple times late tonight.Gophers definitely stole this one tonight as St. Johns was better most of the night but I'm not gonna complain about a win. Some highlights Luke Pettersen had his first career homerun in the game and he Ben Mezzenga and Terrin Vavra each had 2 hits in the game. Jackson Rose got the win on the mound going 1.1 innings allowing a run on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 2. Hopefully Patrick Fredrickson can give us another good start tomorrow and we can find a way to take the series.

Another good series win. Stats are a little deceiving in this one as St. Johns outhit the Gophers but they had 6 or 7 really soft bloopers just out of the reach of Gopher fielders and the Gophers had a couple absolute ropes right at St. Johns defenders including one right at the wall so St. Johns definitely had the better end of the luck this weekend aside from maybe the 9th last nigh. Despite that though the Gophers still found a way to win 2 and that is the important thing. Patrick Fredrickson wasn't quite as sharp as he has been going 4 innings 5 hits 1 run 3 walks and 1 strikeout. Jeff Fasching went 0.2 innings allowing 4 hits 2 runs and 1 strikeout. Brett Schulze got the win going 1.2 innings allowing no runs on 2 hits and striking out 2. Max Meyer came on in the 7th to escape a bases loaded 1 out situation getting a strikeout and flyout and finished the game out with 2 more good innings. Meyer got the save going 2.2 innings hitting 1 batter and striking out 3. Gophers did all their damage early with a 4 run 1st and a 2 run 3rd. Eli Wilson had a big day with 3 hits 2 RBI and 2 runs scored. Jordan Kozicky also had a nice day with a couple hits including a triple and drove in 3. Luke Pettersen also had 2 hits including a double off the baggy. Next up for the Gophers is a 2 game set Tuesday and Wednesday at St. Louis.

Games against St. Louis this midweek, said cancelled on their website.

Kind of unexpected. If they want to make a change to the rotation it should be easy to do so without any midweek games now. Weather doesn't look real promising for this weekend either might be tough to get in all 3 games.

Kind of unexpected. If they want to make a change to the rotation it should be easy to do so without any midweek games now. Weather doesn't look real promising for this weekend either might be tough to get in all 3 games.
Can't lose the series this weekend due to weather, the Gophers need a sweep against PSU.

Can't lose the series this weekend due to weather, the Gophers need a sweep against PSU.

I hope the whole series gets cancelled. Penn State's RPI is 228. It is going to hurt if the Gophers lose a game to the Nittany Lions. It will really hurt if they lose more than a game. Gophers RPI will fall just by playing them.

Reminds me of a situation at Purdue a couple of years ago at the end of the season. The Gophers swept the series but they would have been in real trouble regarding getting an at large bid (which they did in fact get with a borderline RPI after winning the B1G regular season but going 0-2 in the conference tourney) if they would have lost a game or more at Purdue. Purdue's RPI was a huge anchor that the Gophers avoided by sweeping. If they would have lost a single game to Purdue they likely would have had an RPI hit large enough to cost them an NCAA bid.

I hope the whole series gets cancelled. Penn State's RPI is 228. It is going to hurt if the Gophers lose a game to the Nittany Lions. It will really hurt if they lose more than a game. Gophers RPI will fall just by playing them.

Reminds me of a situation at Purdue a couple of years ago at the end of the season. The Gophers swept the series but they would have been in real trouble regarding getting an at large bid (which they did in fact get with a borderline RPI after winning the B1G regular season but going 0-2 in the conference tourney) if they would have lost a game or more at Purdue. Purdue's RPI was a huge anchor that the Gophers avoided by sweeping. If they would have lost a single game to Purdue they likely would have had an RPI hit large enough to cost them an NCAA bid.
I understand your thoughts regarding RPI and tourney bids, but I was thinking more along the lines of winning the B1G, the 3 possible wins against PSU would sure help the conference record.

I understand your thoughts regarding RPI and tourney bids, but I was thinking more along the lines of winning the B1G, the 3 possible wins against PSU would sure help the conference record.

Well, there is that, trying to win the B1G! Good point.

Just paranoid that this is the type of series that will put them on the wrong side of the bubble if they lose a game or two, even if they win the B1G.

Indiana got an at large last year strictly on their RPI, 26 or so as the 6th place team (14-9-1, 34-24-2) in the conference. Gophers finished 3rd (15-8, 36-21 overall), went 3-2 in their games with Indiana (all on Indiana's home field), but were left out with an RPI of 69 or so.

I don't agree with it but it seems that the RPI is by far the most important thing. Pretty confident there are rea$on$ why that i$ the ca$e.

The upcoming Michigan State series and their current 241 RPI doesn't have me very fired up either... Need to sweep both of those series!

The idea of having a schedule for northern teams that goes into the summer may be unrealistic, but it does have a certain appeal. By the time the weather is just getting nice, the season's over.

Gophers and Penn State got 5 innings in before the game was suspended because the temperature got too cold. Gophers started Sam Thoresen and he went 4.2 innings 2 runs 3 hits 3 walks 2 strikeouts and 2 hit batters. He was in and out of trouble throughout but the trouble was always created by himself with the hit batters and walks. Thoresen didn't allow anyone to score during his outing but left with runners on 1st and 3rd and both those guys scored. Bubba Horton was first out of the bullpen and it is safe to say he had his worst outing of his career. He walked 4 straight hitters and only threw only 5 strikes in his 21 pitches. He was charged with 3 runs. Jackson Rose came on to get the final out but not before a single scored 2 runs to give Penn State the 5-3 lead. Gophers scored 3 runs in the 4th for a 3-0 lead. Eli Wilson, Cole McDevitt, and Jack Wassel all walked setting up bases loaded with 1 out for Jordan Kozicky. Kozicky struck out but a runner scored on the wild pitch on strike 3. Alex Boxwell came through with a 2 out 2 RBI single. Gophers also got a run in the 5th with Ben Mezzenga leading off the inning and reaching on a error and then stealing 2nd. A flyout and a strikeout followed before Micah Coffey also reached on a error. Gophers have struck out 6 times already in the game and need to be much better at the plate tomorrow. Can't afford losses to teams like Penn State so the Gophers need to come out and finish game 1 strong for the win tomorrow and carry that momentum into game 2.

Gophers get 3 in the 6th thanks to a pinch hit single from Riley Smith, Alex Boxwell walk, Ben Mezzenga walk, Terrin Vavra walk, and a big 2 out 2 RBI single from Eli Wilson. Penn State pitched their game 2 starter in the completion of this one and while he did strike out 6 batters he also walked 4 and the Gophers really made him throw a lot of pitches and a lot of long at bats. The Gophers went with Brett Schulze on the mound and he was really solid. He only allowed 1 baserunner in his first 3 innings which came on a full count walk. He did get into some trouble in the 9th giving up a couple 1 out singles allow the Penn State radio guy sounded like the 2nd guy was real lucky he didn't strike out looking. Max Meyer came in and got a sac fly and a groundout to pick up the save. Schulze went 3.1 innings allowing 1 run on 2 hits 1 walk and 3 strikeouts. Game 2 should get going in about a half hour.

Gophers bats got going in game 2. The Gophers started right away scoring 2 in the 1st and cruised from there. Although they really should have done more damage in the 1st as they had 1 run already in and the bases loaded with nobody out in the 1st and only managed 1 more run. Homeruns from Alex Boxwell, Micah Coffey, and Terrin Vavra. Vavra had 4 hits and Coffey and Luke Pettersen each had 3. Eli Wilson had 4 RBI and Boxwell and Pettersen each had 3. Patrick Fredrickson got the win on the mound and took a no hitter into the 8th before allowing a leadoff double in the 8th. Fredrickson finished with 7.1 innings 1 run(unearned), 1 hit, and 7 strikeouts. Jake Stevenson pitched the final 1.2 innings and allowed 1 run on 1 hit a solo homerun, while walking 1 and striking out 2.

Did I miss something, is Reggie Meyer injured or is he pitching today?

Top Bottom