2018 Gopher Baseball

Also looking at UCLA a little more I would guess they will start Freshman RHP Zach Pettway. His numbers are good with 8-4 3.51 ERA 89.2 IP 81 H 40 R 18 BB 4 HBP and 74 K. This would however be the 2nd time the Gophers would see him as he was the starter in the DQ Classic . In that start he went 6 innings and allowed 1 run on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 7.

Do we want to play a game tomorrow (Saturday), or would we just as soon have a complete rest day?

Also looking at UCLA a little more I would guess they will start Freshman RHP Zach Pettway. His numbers are good with 8-4 3.51 ERA 89.2 IP 81 H 40 R 18 BB 4 HBP and 74 K. This would however be the 2nd time the Gophers would see him as he was the starter in the DQ Classic . In that start he went 6 innings and allowed 1 run on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 7.

Pettway was their Sat guy in PAC play, so I would expect him to pitch. Gonzaga screwd us by Cougin
it in the 9th. UCLA played like crap and lived to tell about it. Fredrickson has to win today.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, there it is. Officially in a rain delay at Siebert...

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It's not listed on my guide on any of the ESPNs. ESPN site shows it as ESPN3 :-(

Just wish another play by play guy was covering it. Matvick is an ******* of the 1st degree, And I speak from experience as we were in college at the same time in the same general program(different areas though)

Just wish another play by play guy was covering it. Matvick is an ******* of the 1st degree, And I speak from experience as we were in college at the same time in the same general program(different areas though)

Do you have any stories or examples? I'm curious, because I've never met him and thought he was going to be a nice guy.

Do you have any stories or examples? I'm curious, because I've never met him and thought he was going to be a nice guy.

In 1994-95 he had agreed to split hockey play by play duties on the college TV station with another guy and about half way through the season he whined he couldn't get a flow going doing only 1/2 the schedule and wanted to do it all. The other guy blew a fuse and told the TV people where to go in no uncertain terms, He also had an ego that was so huge that it had to be seen to be believed. And FWIW the other guy he backstabbed is the voice of Gopher Women's Hockey. All of us who worked at the radio station couldn't stand him. When you make an entire department dislike you there is something wrong

Gonzaga and Canisius are underway as the Zags have jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the 1st. As long as there are no more delays and this game isn't a marathon the Gophers game should get started pretty close to the original start time of 7.

And FWIW the other guy he backstabbed is the voice of Gopher Women's Hockey. All of us who worked at the radio station couldn't stand him. When you make an entire department dislike you there is something wrong

Gopher Women's Hockey is in good hands with "the other guy". He does a great job as the voice of GWH. I always sync the audio feed with the video feed and then mute the video play by play person so I can hear him when I am watching the games :D

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is the reasoning for the higher seed being the away team in this game?

Game in a weather delay right now. Should be starting up again soon.

Down 1-0 after one. Come on Gophers, one hit at a time and lets roll!

Down 1-0 after one. Come on Gophers, one hit at a time and lets roll!

Had guys on 1st and 2nd but couldn't capitalize. But Alex Boxwell from Coon Rapids hit a one run homer to tie the game.

1-1 going into the bottom of the 2nd.

Bruins up 2-1 after two. They were able to capitalized on the walk, error to 2nd on catcher throw on stolen base attempt to allow runner to third. Were still there. Just can't let them get away with the little things.

What is the reasoning for the higher seed being the away team in this game?

Since each team was the home team in yesterdays game and none of the scenarios to determine who would be the home team apply they go to the good old fashioned coin flip to determine the home team. The entire formulas is as follows:

For first-round games, the highest-seeded team shall be designated as the home team. In subsequent games, the
home team shall be determined according to a formula applied by the games committee. In determining which of
two teams in any game will be the home team, the games committee or the NCAA site representatives uses the
following guidelines:
1. The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times in that tournament shall be designated
the home team.
2. If the two teams are equal in this respect but unequal in the number of times they were the visitor, then the
team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team.
3. If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home, and visitor, the games committee
or the NCAA site representative(s) shall observe the following procedures in the order stated:
a. If the two teams have met previously in that tournament, the visitor in the previous game shall be the
home team in the game in question.
b. The team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team, unless both teams were visitors
in their preceding games.
4. If the above procedures do not resolve the matter, the home team shall be determined by a coin toss. The coin
toss will be held on the field immediately after the game that causes the situation to develop and both coaches
are to be in attendance. The higher seeded team can determine whether they will call the coin toss or defer the
call to their opponent.

Scary inning. Couldn't believe we were able to get out of that opening triple to lead off. Felt he made two blunders on that attempt to score. Both pictures around the 50 mark on pitches. We're out hitting them 3-2 but still down 2-1 after 3.

Scary inning. Couldn't believe we were able to get out of that opening triple to lead off. Felt he made two blunders on that attempt to score. Both pictures around the 50 mark on pitches. We're out hitting them 3-2 but still down 2-1 after 3.

Appears like we’re in trouble every inning... bases loaded now in the B4

A couple of missed opportunities for us so far: in the first Vavra struck out for the second out with Mezzenga on third. In the 4th, Boxwell couldn’t get a bunt down to advance the runners with no outs. Ended up costing another run. We’ve left at least 2 runs out there so far. These things come back to bite you against good teams

Appears like we’re in trouble every inning... bases loaded now in the B4

Including the 5th with issues. Not sure how long we can hang in there during this every inning. I'm afraid the dam is going to burst at some point.

Not seeing it from the guys tonight. Too many mistakes offensively and defensively. In other words, not good enough.

Wow. Lead off double for Vavra in the 8th. And Wilson drives him in. TIE GAME!

This game is driving me insane. Tied despite all the activity by the Bruins all night long. Yes we need better offense and need to get our heads together defensively. Fresh start.

Meyer strikes out three in the eight with a single tucked in between. Oh.....and I had to switch from chrome to internet explorer (WHAT???) because the game repeatedly was re-buffering on chrome.

Really hope that we can pull this game out. Having to win three straight is a tall task.

And a lead off double in the ninth!

Top Bottom