2018 Gopher Baseball

Can someone explain the Super Regional to me? So I get that if all top 8 seeds advance they would all host a super regional, but how does it work if they don't? Let's say hypothetically that the Gophers are the 12th seed. If 4 of the top 8 seeds don't win their regional would the Gophers get one?
Each of the national seeds(top 8) are paired with another host it use to be based on geography but now the committee seeds the top 16. They don't re-seed after the regionals so if the Gophers were the 12th seed they would play whoever comes out of the regional hosted by the 5th seed. 1 vs 16, 8 vs 9, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 2 vs 15, 7 vs 10, 3 vs 14, 6 vs 11.

I would presume if the Gophers were seeded 9-16 and the team seeded 1-8 opposite them did not advance that they would host the super regional. If neither seeded team advanced, I'm not sure how they decide.

I would presume if the Gophers were seeded 9-16 and the team seeded 1-8 opposite them did not advance that they would host the super regional. If neither seeded team advanced, I'm not sure how they decide.

Good question. Maybe by RPI or whichever team won the "higher seeded" team's regional? By nature though, the host/seeded team always has a big advantage in their regional so that scenario probably doesn't happen often. I know in softball this year every top 16 seeded team won the regional they hosted.

What are the Gophs thinking for today? I’m guessing 4-5 innings from a mystery starter turning it over to Schulze into Meyer to finish it

Each of the national seeds(top 8) are paired with another host it use to be based on geography but now the committee seeds the top 16. They don't re-seed after the regionals so if the Gophers were the 12th seed they would play whoever comes out of the regional hosted by the 5th seed. 1 vs 16, 8 vs 9, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 2 vs 15, 7 vs 10, 3 vs 14, 6 vs 11.

Thanks!

What are the Gophs thinking for today? I’m guessing 4-5 innings from a mystery starter turning it over to Schulze into Meyer to finish it
Chris Webb and Pat Reusse both tweeted that Nick Lackney will get the start. He was really good his last time out against a good hitting St. Johns team. Josh Culliver, Sam Thoresen, Ryan Duffy, Bubba Horton, and Fred Manke all haven't been used yet and would be the options if Lackney has some struggles and you need a bridge to Schulze. Webb also tweeted that Purdue will start redshirt Freshman right hander Andrew Bohm 2-0 10 appearances 3 starts 22.2 IP 22hits 16 runs(12 earned) 12 walks and 26 strikeouts. Biggest key to me is not giving Purdue anything today. I've seen 5 or so Purdue games the last 2 weeks and they don't get a whole lot started themselves they more really on a defensive mistake like a error or walk or hit batter.

Gophers tie the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the fifth.

Really poor outing from Schulze. Purdue was licking their chops with him on the mound.

Good response from the guys. Score twice, take 5-4 lead and then Thoreson tosses a quick 1-2-3 in the top of the seventh.

What a fantastic championship game this is turning out to be. Great throw from left to keep Purdue from tying the game.

What a fantastic championship game this is turning out to be. Great throw from left to keep Purdue from tying the game.

Yeah. This has truly been a game of inches. Very entertaining.

Added an insurance run in the 8th. 6-4 Gophers headed into the ninth.

B1G Tournament Champs! Here's to hoping the Gophers get to host a Regional.

And the Gophers head into the NCAA Tournament as Big Ten Regular Season and Tournament Champions!

Congrats to the guys on the Big 10 sweep! Really looking forward to the NCAAs with how the team is rolling right now.

Whew...Purdue was clearly scrappy. Made Minnesota work for it today and they got it done. Gophers gave up more hits today than the previous games combined. That little dam broke a bit but can't do it all the time. Glad they pulled it off.

Lol. Why is Wisconsin on the Big Ten Tournament Trophy? They don't even have a baseball team......

Congrats to Coach A and the team. Nice going away present for Coach Rob.

Lol. Why is Wisconsin on the Big Ten Tournament Trophy? They don't even have a baseball team......

hahaha...I saw that too. I've always found it odd they don't have a team.

Projections on our seed?? Will be curious who we're matched up with in both the regional and potential super regional match-up.

Wasn't always pretty but guys have found a way to get the job done all year and today was no different. Gophers had a answer everytime Purdue took the lead. Nick Lackney gave the Gophers what they needed 4 innings of 1 run ball. He did give up 5 hits and most seemed to come with 2 outs and also walked 1 and struck out 3. Brett Schulze really struggled and definitely didn't have his good stuff going 1.2 innings allowing 3 runs on 6 hits while walking 1. Sam Thoresen picked up the slack with a real nice outing going 1.1 innings not allowing a baserunner and striking out 1 and he came away with the win. Max Meyer picked up the save going 2 innings allowing 2 hits and striking out 1. Max did get into a little trouble giving up a 1 out double in the 8th and after a flyout for out 2 Purdue got a single to left and Ben Mezzenga fielded the ball right as the runner was rounding 3rd. Purdue sent him and Mezzenga did what he should and set his feet and made a perfect throw to the plate to get the 3rd out. At the plate Terrin Vavra had a homerun and a double driving in 2 runs and was also intentionally walked twice. Luke Pettersen had 2 hits and 1 scored the tying run in the 6th. Ben Mezzenga had 2 hits and drove in 2 including the go ahead run in the 6th. Toby Hanson had 2 hits and scored 2 runs and Eli Wilson had a solo homerun to get the scoring started for the Gophers today. Think the host sites are officially announced tonight and the bracket will be tomorrow. Would be a huge surprise if the Gophers aren't announced tonight.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hahaha...I saw that too. I've always found it odd they don't have a team.

Projections on our seed?? Will be curious who we're matched up with in both the regional and potential super regional match-up.

They did have a team until either 1989 or 1991 I believe. They were pretty mediocre throughout their baseball program's history.

Also, I think all the conference trophies list all 14 schools regardless of whether they field in a given sport a team or not. I could be mistaken on that however.

As for the seed, I'm guessing it will be around the 11 or 12 mark. But with how the NCAA operates, who knows?

They did have a team until either 1989 or 1991 I believe. They were pretty mediocre throughout their baseball program's history.

Also, I think all the conference trophies list all 14 schools regardless of whether they field in a given sport a team or not. I could be mistaken on that however.

As for the seed, I'm guessing it will be around the 11 or 12 mark. But with how the NCAA operates, who knows?

I only counted 12 teams on the trophy.

Gophers just took the lead for most B1G tournament wins at 10. Ski-U-Mah!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Most fun season I can remember. Let's keep it rolling, boys.

Feels like we got a bracket that we definitely have a chance to win. I thought we would be no lower than the 12 seed so a little surprised by getting the 14. That would be a factor if we win the regional and have to go to Oregon State to face a very good team. No way we should've been behind Texas or Texas Tech and you could easily argue us ahead of East Carolina as well. Either way I guess you are gonna have to beat good teams to advance and I like the regional opponents.

Pretty good draw imo.

Was thinking they would get an 11 or 12 seed, but I'm fine with a 14, especially with the teams that are coming in.

Interesting that they took one team from the East and two from the far West and placed them in Minneapolis.

Anyway, I like the draw and the possibility of moving on to Supers.

Since the Minneapolis and Corvallis regionals are paired, what happens if the Gophers come out of our regional but OSU doesn't? Does the Super Regional stay at OSU or would it come here?

Top Bottom