2018 Gopher Baseball

I can understand why the NCAA would be hesitant to have the Gophers host. The area around Siebert Field is a sh*thole, and Dinkytown parking is a mess.
That plays no part in it. The infrastructure is what matters. We have a new stadium with good lighting. There is no way they would turn it down. Anderson would strangle Colyle and Coyle is smart enough to see this as free advertising for the U as the TV guys would undoubtedly talk about the new facilities around the stadium. The B1G would also never allow a team to turn down hosting. Host teams have a much greater chance of getting to Omaha, which builds the brand.

A Rough Sketch of Field of 64

Based strictly on RPI (obviously, the actual field will factor a bunch of things), a rough sketch of what the Field of 64 would look like today.

FIELD OF 64 (start of MEAC/SWAC Tournaments)
Automatic (31)
#1 Florida (SEC)
#2 Stanford (Pac 12)
#5 North Carolina (ACC)
#7 Stetson (Atlantic Sun)
#9 Texas Tech (Big XII)
#13 East Carolina (AAC)
#18 Minnesota (B1G)
#19 Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt)
#24 Tennessee Tech (OVC)
#28 FAU (Conference USA)
#29 Dallas Baptist (MVC)
#35 Saint John’s (Big East)
#41 Northeastern (Colonial)
#52 Cal State-Fullerton (Big West)
#57 NC-Greensboro (Southern)
#58 Sam Houston State (Southland)
#60 San Diego State (Mountain West)
#67 Davidson (Atlantic 10)
#69 Gonzaga (WCC)
#72 Wagner (NEC)
#76 Kent State (MAC)
#79 Wright State (Horizon)
#97 Army (Patriot)
#103 Marist (MAAC)
#109 New Mexico State (WAC)
#113 High Point (Big South)
#133 Oral Roberts (Summit)
#163 Harvard (Ivy)
#176 UMass-Lowell (America East)
#194 Bethune-Cookman (MEAC)
#221 Jackson State (SWAC)

At-Large (33)
#3 Arkansas (SEC)
#4 Georgia (SEC)
#6 Oregon State (Pac 12)
#8 Ole Miss (SEC)
#10 Florida State (ACC)
#11 Clemson (ACC)
#12 Auburn (SEC)
#14 Texas A&M (SEC)
#15 Duke (ACC)
#16 NC State (ACC)
#17 Kentucky (SEC)
#20 Texas (Big XII)
#21 Jacksonville (Atlantic Sun)
#22 Oklahoma State (Big XII)
#23 UConn (AAC)
#25 USF (AAC)
#26 Indiana (B1G)
#27 Louisville (ACC)
#30 Oklahoma (Big XII)
#31 Ohio State (B1G)
#32 Missouri (SEC)
#33 Mississippi State (SEC)
#34 UCF (AAC)
#36 Vanderbilt (SEC)
#37 UCLA (Pac 12)
#38 South Carolina (SEC)
#39 Wichita State (AAC)
#40 Troy (Sun Belt)
#42 Missouri State (MVC)
#43 Arizona (Pac 12)
#44 Illinois (B1G)
#45 West Virginia (Big XII)
#46 LSU (SEC)

Last 8 In
#39 Wichita State
#40 Troy
#41 Northeastern (auto bid)
#42 Missouri State
#43 Arizona
#44 Illinois
#45 West Virginia
#46 LSU

First 8 Out
#47 Purdue
#48 Southern Miss
#49 Baylor
#50 Michigan
#51 Houston
#53 Louisiana Tech
#54 Georgia Tech
#55 Louisiana

Multiple-Bid Conferences (9)
SEC (12)
ACC (6)
AAC (5)
Big XII (5)
B1G (4)
Pac 12 (4)
Atlantic Sun (2)
MVC (2)
Sun Belt (2)

That plays no part in it. The infrastructure is what matters. We have a new stadium with good lighting. There is no way they would turn it down. Anderson would strangle Colyle and Coyle is smart enough to see this as free advertising for the U as the TV guys would undoubtedly talk about the new facilities around the stadium. The B1G would also never allow a team to turn down hosting. Host teams have a much greater chance of getting to Omaha, which builds the brand.

Point taken.

Yep, it would be a shame (and awfully stupid) if for some reason an opportunity to host was turned down. Hoping there's June baseball at Siebert Field.

First things first! The boys need to continue to play well so this will not be a mute point.

In 2009 Gophers were getting close to a one seed. Anderson said, with extra seating put in, we should have no problem being a host. That was with the old run down Seibert field. We did not get to host that year, because we were not good enough to be a one seed.

This year if we deserve to be a one seed, there is no way the NCAA is going to deny the Gophers that opportunity to host with a new stadium. I'd be shocked if Doogie is correct on this issue. The team needs to first take care of business, then let the cards play out.

This year I saw many home games at Seibert field. By far Concordia was the best team that played at Seibert field. Gophs got lucky to beat them. If Concordia was in the Big Ten this year, they would be undefeated in league play.

This year I saw many home games at Seibert field. By far Concordia was the best team that played at Seibert field. Gophs got lucky to beat them. If Concordia was in the Big Ten this year, they would be undefeated in league play.

:confused:

When was the last time the Gophers had a legitimate shot to host a regional, and when was the last time they actually did?

IIRC the last time they were in contention for one Siebert Field actually was a rat's nest, and there was some chatter about hosting over at Midway Stadium instead
Doogie is full of it.

I believe the last time Gophers hosted was around 2000. Nebraska won the regional and I think Wichita State was also there.

The Concordia that is 16-10 in the NSIC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw all of Minnesota's starting pitchers were TBA against Rutgers. I wonder if Meyer or Fredrickson is having some arm fatigue, and the coach is trying to figure out the rotation. These next two weeks being shorter days of rest (6 days, 5 days) for starting pitchers may be a concern. I hope, I'm wrong, just speculation.

I remember my first beer too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, 0-1 anyway!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice solid 4-0 win today. Two more wins to clinch the conference.

Great job on the mound by Reggie Meyer picking up the win. Never really got into any trouble and executed all of his pitches well. 8 innings 3 hits 1 walk and 5 strikeouts. Max Meyer went the final inning allowing 1 hit and striking out 1. At the plate it really feels like a 10+ run game for the offense will be coming. Hard hit balls throughout the lineup and despite having 11 hits today they probably deserved 20 with the number of balls they hit hard. Give some credit to Rutgers defense they made some really great plays as well. 2 hits a piece for Luke Pettersen, Ben Mezzenga, Alex Boxwell, and Toby Hanson. Doubles from Mezzenga, Cole McDevitt, and Jordan Kozicky.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With Purdue winning over Michigan State and Minnesota winning over Rutgers. Minnesota clinches a shared of the Big Ten regular season title.

What a meltdown last night by Maryland. They led Indiana 5-2 in the 8th but gave up 4 runs to blow the lead. Immediately after surrendering a 3 run HR, the Maryland pitcher throws at the head of the next batter and the catcher then shoves the batter. The pitcher was tossed and it looked like the catcher was too (but he ended up staying in the game). Indiana comes back to win the game and instead of clinching a tie for the 8th seed, Maryland remains deadlocked with Sparty.

Updated standings:
Minnesota 17-4
Purdue 15-6
Michigan 15-6
Ohio St 14-8
Illinois 14-8
Indiana 12-9
Iowa 11-9
Maryland 9-12
Michigan St 9-12

Big battle for seeds 2-5, seeds 6-7 and seed 8. Should be a fun couple of days. Plus with all the bubble teams the B1G tournament will be wild.

Friday's Updated B1G Slate

A few game time changes because of weather.

Minnesota @ Rutgers, 12
Maryland @ Indiana, 12
Ohio State @ Michigan State, 3:05 (BTN)
Nebraska @ Illinois, 4
Michigan @ Purdue, 6 (BTN)
Penn State @ Iowa, 6:05

Highly unlikely this scenario occurs, but if Gophers lose last 2 games and Michigan wins last 2, Wolverines will be Big Ten Tournament #1 seed, Gophers #2. Since they didn't play one another, next tiebreaker is record vs. common opponents. Common opponents would be Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue, and Rutgers:

Michigan
1-2 vs. Iowa
3-0 vs. Michigan State
3-0 vs. Penn State
2-1 vs. Purdue
2-1 vs. Rutgers
= 11-4

Gophers
2-1 vs. Iowa
2-1 vs. Michigan State
3-0 vs. Penn State
2-0 vs. Purdue
1-2 vs. Rutgers
= 10-4

What a meltdown last night by Maryland. They led Indiana 5-2 in the 8th but gave up 4 runs to blow the lead. Immediately after surrendering a 3 run HR, the Maryland pitcher throws at the head of the next batter and the catcher then shoves the batter. The pitcher was tossed and it looked like the catcher was too (but he ended up staying in the game). Indiana comes back to win the game and instead of clinching a tie for the 8th seed, Maryland remains deadlocked with Sparty.

Updated standings:
Minnesota 17-4
Purdue 15-6
Michigan 15-6
Ohio St 14-8
Illinois 14-8
Indiana 12-9
Iowa 11-9
Maryland 9-12
Michigan St 9-12

Big battle for seeds 2-5, seeds 6-7 and seed 8. Should be a fun couple of days. Plus with all the bubble teams the B1G tournament will be wild.

I’d rather have Sparty in than one of the interlopers.

They better not piss this game away. Walk and HBP is no way to close out a game.

Top Bottom