2018 Gopher Baseball

I can't believe with no outs and a man on second they sacrifice bunt the man over to third. WTF swing away

I can't believe with no outs and a man on second they sacrifice bunt the man over to third. WTF swing away

Guess he was thinking sacrifice fly if things would have paid off. We just haven't been able to connect the dots very well in this game.

Coffey delivers with an RBI double. 3-2 Gophers!

Hang tough now guys! Three outs to go! Lets do it!

Just jumped on here. Exactly what I’ve been saying. When Anderson came out of the dugout I’m like no way you’re telling him to bunt, please no. Your hottest hitter is up!!! That is such stupid chicken [emoji90]! Give three guys a chance to drive him in instead of 2. Guy has 5 hits in 2 games and he bunts him! Have a feel for the game and your players. Drives me fricken crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, Max Meyer is a stud! Big time out of the pen to close it out in the 10th!

Yeah baby! Go Gophers!!!

The most impressive thing for me is that the guys failed to execute a few times in this game, had a couple of mistakes in the field, gave a few free passes at the plate, and STILL found a way to beat a very good UCLA team. All the big name guys also came through in the clutch. Fredrickson was solid, Vavra, Wilson and Coffey all came up big at the biggest moments and Meyer was dominant out of the pen down the stretch.

Nice win that sets the guys up well for the rest of the regional.

Amazing game but I agree with everyone else stop bunting!

Big win! Everything this team has been so good at all year they struggled to do the majority of tonight. A couple errors, 7 walks, defensive misplay, chasing pitches, and failing to execute situationally multiple times. The guys were able to overcome the struggles through the first 7 innings and just find a way to put things together late and win the game. If anybody is surprised with the bunting they really haven't watched all year and the bunting has been very good to the Gophers throughout the season they just didn't execute tonight. The only one I wasn't sure on was Toby Hanson in the 9th and that is only because he has been swinging it so good and Luke Pettersen was on deck who I wouldn't have been surprised with a ground ball to a drawn in infield. I thought Pettersen who handles the bat well would put down a safety squeeze though to score the run. You could also argue they could've bunted more like in the 8th after Eli Wilson singled in Terrin Vavra and he was on 2nd. Micah Coffey drilled a ball to left but right at the outfielder and the next batter Cole McDevitt hit a fly ball that would've been deep enough to score Wilson had he been moved over. So the bunting argument can definitely go both ways and I think you have to do it some and it just comes down to 14s gut feel during the game. Patrick Fredrickson battled through 6 innings definitely not at his best but made big pitches and gave us a chance. 6 innings 2 runs(1 earned), 4 hits, 5 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Brett Schulze cruised through the first 2 batters he faced and then got into trouble in the 7th with a double, walk, and hit batter but a strikeout ended the threat and gave the Gophers some energy. 1 inning for Schulze 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 hit batter, and 2 strikeouts. Max Meyer picked up the win and was electric out of the pen going 3 innings allowing 1 hit and 1 walk and striking out 6.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow what a game. One of those games you feel lucky to win.

Highly recommend going to the game tomorrow if anyone is on the fence or thinking about it. VERY knowledgable fans at the games (unlike twins games) and a really good overall baseball atmosphere.

Fredrickson clearly didn't have his stuff tonight and was getting stolen on at will but held his composure as best he could and kept the Gophers in it. Max Meyer was outstanding tonight and probably has the best combination of composure/stuff of any gopher pitcher I've seen in recent years. And he's a freshman. Scary!

So glad they won. Great win. One last final thought on the 9th inning bunt. Hanson was 2-3 at the plate that game (best on the team) and was 3-4 the previous game (easily the team’s hottest hitter). The following 2 batters were 1-9 combined against UCLA and 2-8 combined the previous game.

There are times to bunt and times to let guys hit, that was a stupid time to bunt. The bunt in the 10th inning was appropriate to advance the runner to scoring position. In the 9th the runner was already in scoring position with your hottest hitter at the plate being followed by 2 of your least hottest hitters. Glad they persevered and won! Credit to the players. Just really disappointed a manager with 37 years experience bunts in that situation.

Highly recommend going to the game tomorrow if anyone is on the fence or thinking about it. VERY knowledgable fans at the games (unlike twins games) and a really good overall baseball atmosphere.

Fredrickson clearly didn't have his stuff tonight and was getting stolen on at will but held his composure as best he could and kept the Gophers in it. Max Meyer was outstanding tonight and probably has the best combination of composure/stuff of any gopher pitcher I've seen in recent years. And he's a freshman. Scary!

Regret not going to Siebert last night. Going to try for a ticket today (assuming there are some available?)

Amazing game but I agree with everyone else stop bunting!

They did the right thing. In a close game where one run could be and in this case was the difference you bunt. There are multiple ways to score from third base...wild pitch, sac fly, slow infield grounder, etc. You absolutely bunt in that situation. In fact there was a situation earlier in the game where they didn’t bunt and should have because the next guy hit a fly ball and we would have had another run.

So glad they won. Great win. One last final thought on the 9th inning bunt. Hanson was 2-3 at the plate that game (best on the team) and was 3-4 the previous game (easily the team’s hottest hitter). The following 2 batters were 1-9 combined against UCLA and 2-8 combined the previous game.

There are times to bunt and times to let guys hit, that was a stupid time to bunt. The bunt in the 10th inning was appropriate to advance the runner to scoring position. In the 9th the runner was already in scoring position with your hottest hitter at the plate being followed by 2 of your least hottest hitters. Glad they persevered and won! Credit to the players. Just really disappointed a manager with 37 years experience bunts in that situation.

And if not a GREAT play by UCLA's 2nd baseman, they score the go ahead run in the 9th. John know's what he is doing. Stop 2nd guessing him.

Fans of the losing team this afternoon will want to dump a ticket or two.

This is where the low price of tickets actually hurts. Many times in these tourneys, the losing teams fans just leave because they don't find it worth their time to sell tickets for 20 or 30 bucks for a pair and just eat them.

Certainly glad the Gophers pulled that one out last night. If memory serves me correctly, UCLA had at least one baserunner in every inning of the game. I stick by my comment though, with nobody out and a runner on second I want my guys swinging away all day. Need to close this out tonight and get ready to travel to Oregon State for the Super Regional.

The elimination game is on ESPN3 again. I'm assuming that this means the game tonight probably will not be televised......:mad:

I suppose watching it on my computer isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Both Gonzaga and UCLA have their #3s on the mound today. Gonzaga is the home team and UCLA jumped out with 2 runs in the top of the 1st.

A little off topic here, but Indiana is up on Texas A&M 9-0....in the top of the first. :eek:

A little off topic here, but Indiana is up on Texas A&M 9-0....in the top of the first. :eek:

Will be interesting at this point with pitching...you're dealing with number 3 starters and do you put number 1 back in and take a risk. Good for Indiana. Purdue I believe won yesterday as well.

Top Bottom