2018 Gopher Baseball

Since the Minneapolis and Corvallis regionals are paired, what happens if the Gophers come out of our regional but OSU doesn't? Does the Super Regional stay at OSU or would it come here?

It would come here. If neither number 1 seed advances then the committee will decide. LSU is hot right now. They be a tough out for the Beavers, just like the Bruins will be tough for us.

Draw seems fine although 14 seems low. Not that it matters, but it makes you wonder what it would have taken for us to not be in top 16? Did it take the championship? Probably at least making it there?

Have to imagine Anderson will take his chances and go Stevenson (or something along those lines) against Canisius in order to save Fredrickson and Meyer for UCLA, when we'll really need them, since most likely it will take beating them twice to get out of our own regional.

Have to imagine Anderson will take his chances and go Stevenson (or something along those lines) against Canisius in order to save Fredrickson and Meyer for UCLA, when we'll really need them, since most likely it will take beating them twice to get out of our own regional.
While you maybe could get by with Stevenson or somebody against Canisius I really don't think it will happen. 14 said the biggest reason he went with Stevenson Wednesday was to try to get Meyer and Fredrickson back on more normal rest heading into regionals. That first game of regionals is so big I just don't think they will risk it.

While you maybe could get by with Stevenson or somebody against Canisius I really don't think it will happen. 14 said the biggest reason he went with Stevenson Wednesday was to try to get Meyer and Fredrickson back on more normal rest heading into regionals. That first game of regionals is so big I just don't think they will risk it.

I just think that'd be a waste to throw either of them against Canisius. We are going to need to most likely beat UCLA twice and I really think we're going to need two high-end starters to throw at them to beat them. Keep in mind they just took 2 out of 3 in their most recent series against Oregon State and already beat us 6-1 when we threw Stevenson at them. Our team is talented enough to beat Canisius without PF or RM starting, but I can't feel so confident about saying the same against UCLA.

All 14 teams are listed on the trophy.
Ok. Still seems odd to have a team without a baseball team......on the B10 baseball trophy. Even more odd that Wisconsin is the one school without a baseball team.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just think that'd be a waste to throw either of them against Canisius. We are going to need to most likely beat UCLA twice and I really think we're going to need two high-end starters to throw at them to beat them. Keep in mind they just took 2 out of 3 in their most recent series against Oregon State and already beat us 6-1 when we threw Stevenson at them. Our team is talented enough to beat Canisius without PF or RM starting, but I can't feel so confident about saying the same against UCLA.

Actually, UCLA lost two of three against Oregon State in that series. They also struggled a bit down the stretch, having lost eight of their past 15 games since May 1st. But I understand your point. UCLA is a quality team.

Actually, UCLA lost two of three against Oregon State in that series. They also struggled a bit down the stretch, having lost eight of their past 15 games since May 1st. But I understand your point. UCLA is a quality team.

It would be ideal to have your 2 big guns against UCLA being 1-0, but I just don't think you can chance losing to Canisius and then your tourney is close to over. We are obviously better than Canisius, but they split with Ohio State this year and have a win over NC State, so I don't think they will just roll over against us either. The regret would be massive if you lose game 1 versus the 4 seed and then have to battle back.

It would be ideal to have your 2 big guns against UCLA being 1-0, but I just don't think you can chance losing to Canisius and then your tourney is close to over. We are obviously better than Canisius, but they split with Ohio State this year and have a win over NC State, so I don't think they will just roll over against us either. The regret would be massive if you lose game 1 versus the 4 seed and then have to battle back.

Will be interesting to see how Coach Anderson plays this out. He is one of the best coaches around and believe he will roll the dice accordingly.

I go back and forth. You either need to go 3-0 or 4-1 to advance, so we need to venture outside the Meyer/Frederickson combo at least once but as much as 3 times. So the question is, would you rather your #3 starter come against Canisius in the 1st or UCLA in the 3rd? No brainer. However; as others have said that game 1 is so crucial.

Plus do we really want to burn up 3 arms in our bullpen in the 1st game of a regional?

I trust 14 to make the right decision.

As a coach friend of mine said:

If you go 2-0 to start a 4-team double elimination, you only have win 1 more game to win the whole thing.

If you go 1-1, then you have to win 3 in a row.

Go with your top 2 pitchers in games 1 & 2. Then piece together a win in the final.

Agreed. I think the best play is to run through the rotation as you regularly would and take your chances. And in actuality, the other three teams are in the same boat. I'm pretty certain UCLA will run their Friday guy out there against Gonzaga as I figure we will. Don't want to take any chances at this time of year. Take care of the games in front of you and go from there. Pitching depth always gets tested in these types of tournaments for all participating teams regardless. That's just part of the deal in conference and NCAA tourneys.

It sounds like Canisius has a stud lefty as their ace. Pitcher of the Year in the MAAC. Don’t mess around would be my 2 cents. Win Game 1. And who knows, maybe Zags surprise UCLA.

Start Meyer. Stevenson was really shaky vs. MSU. Wouldn’t want to travel that road a second time. Game 1 is too important in a double elim.

No BT NCAA Baseball National Championship since 1966

It's time to end this drought.

It sounds like Canisius has a stud lefty as their ace. Pitcher of the Year in the MAAC. Don’t mess around would be my 2 cents. Win Game 1. And who knows, maybe Zags surprise UCLA.

Start Meyer. Stevenson was really shaky vs. MSU. Wouldn’t want to travel that road a second time. Game 1 is too important in a double elim.
The guy has really good numbers but hard to find much video on him.
Here are his starts against power 5 teams.
Ohio State W 5-4 5IP 3H 3R 4BB 8K
NC State W 3-2 4.1IP 2H 2R 3BB 4K
West Virginia W 4-3 7IP 7H 2R 1BB 3K
Last start against a power 5 team was March 18th.

Listening to 14 on KFAN this morning with PA it sure sounded like Reggie would start Friday. I'm not surprised by it it is just too big of risk to not throw your ace game 1 in most cases. Going back to the first time we played UCLA a few things to remember. We played them on Sunday and were coming off a terrible 2nd half of the game against Washington the night before where we basically handed them the game. Our defense had 3 errors and is much more stable and solid now only 3 of UCLA's 6 runs were earned. Stevenson still has some control issues but both he and Lackney have had much sharper stuff the last few weeks than early in the year. Alex Boxwell was injured and did not play. Eli Wilson wasn't catching regularly yet and while he did come into the game he did not start. UCLA only had 3 hits in the game and the pitching staff allowed 6 walks and 4 hit batters. This Gopher team is much different than the one UCLA faced in early March.

The game is steaming only on ESPN3, correct? I haven't seen anything that it might be aired live on ESPN/2/U

Midweek Game

Does anyone know who the Gophers play for the midweek game this week? Was it yesterday or today? I'm hoping to buzz down to Sebiert field today and watch the game!

The game is steaming only on ESPN3, correct? I haven't seen anything that it might be aired live on ESPN/2/U

Correct. WCWS is on ESPN and I'm surprised they scheduled the Lynx game on ESPN2 Friday night during baseball regionals. ESPNU is FSU and then Oregon State during the Gopher game.

At least for Friday its ESPN3. My guide shows ESPN2 1:00 Ohio State vs. South Carolina, 4:00 Texas A&M vs Indiana, 9:00 Wright State vs. Stanford. ESPNU 11:00 Oklahoma vs. Mississippi State, 3:00 San Diego State vs. LSU, 6:00 Samford vs. Florida State, 9:00 Northwestern State vs. Oregon State. SEC Network 11:00 St. Johns vs. Vanderbilt, 6:30 St. Louis vs. Ole Miss.

Are they putting up temporary bleachers? If you try to order tickets it comes up with seats in section 12, row B. Only problem is there is no section 12!

Regarding the draw for the regional. I was bummed that UCLA was sent here. I hoping to see them sent to an SEC site. I watched every inning of the series last weekend against Oregon State.
They are dangerous because of a very good and deep pitching staff. The Friday guy, Bird, led the PAC in ERA and has ridiculous movement on his pitches. Sat. guy is a good looking freshman. The crazy thing is they have done this without the three projected starters for this season not playing due to injuries. The team always is talented and they have a super sophomore class with a few stellar freshman thrown in. They play superior D and have excellent pitching. Savage is a very good coach and is particularly good at developing pitchers. They have a pretty young team. Next year when they get back the the injured pitchers, they will be a monster.

Oregon State took the series, but it was very close and was really great baseball. It came down to a few plays. Go Gophers and Go Beavs!

Single game tickets are on sale now and it allows you to see the availability. Looks like they added 8 temporary sections (4 on each baseline) that will seat a total of 400 extra people.

1. Looks like all the original seats are sold out for the tournament except the temporary bleachers.
2. The game against Canisius is sold out.

oh well, so much for going down there as that was the only game I could possibly attend, hope they do well & I'll follow along on Twitter

There are a handful of standing room only tickets and a couple of single seats still there.

Top Bottom