2018 Gopher Baseball

Looks like Iowa is done. They haven't done anything today against OSU. Which means little chance for an at-large birth.

Looks like Iowa is done. They haven't done anything today against OSU. Which means little chance for an at-large birth.

Got a chance to watch a bit of their game with Michigan and most of their contest with Ohio State. Pitching was good and the defense was pretty sharp. But their offense was completely listless. And even that may be sugar-coating things a bit. Never really even got close to generating anything of substance in either game. Must have been frustrating to watch from the Iowa perspective.

Got a chance to watch a bit of their game with Michigan and most of their contest with Ohio State. Pitching was good and the defense was pretty sharp. But their offense was completely listless. And even that may be sugar-coating things a bit. Never really even got close to generating anything of substance in either game. Must have been frustrating to watch from the Iowa perspective.
Believe it was 5 hits in 19 innings of baseball for Iowa.

Watching Michigan/Purdue right now. Michigan have what appears to be huge silver belt buckles on. Anybody know what that is?

Watching Michigan/Purdue right now. Michigan have what appears to be huge silver belt buckles on. Anybody know what that is?

Drawing a blank on the correct term...it's the plays/signs. Think of a QB with the plays on their wrist. For some reason it's on their crotch hahaha

Drawing a blank on the correct term...it's the plays/signs. Think of a QB with the plays on their wrist. For some reason it's on their crotch hahaha

I think you are right. Strange though. Never seen it like that.

Michigan quite possibly cost themselves an NCAA berth with a baffling defensive breakdown. With no on and 1 out in b9 they walked a guy on a wild pitch. The ball got away from the catcher and the runner went to second. For some reason the third baseman crashed to home plate and left the base uncovered, allowing the batter to get to 3b on a walk. Michigan intentionally walked the next 2 batters and then lost on a walk off single.

Nothing worse than waiting until 10pm for this game only to have the satellite go out repeatedly due to the rain.

Reggie Meyer with the outstanding outing. Complete game shutout allowing just 3 hits, 1 walk, 1 hit batter, and 8 strikeouts. Gophers offense struck early getting 2 runs in the 1st. Few baserunning miscues that migh've cost the Gophers a few more opportunities but Meyer didn't need a whole lot of offense. 2 hits each from Luke Pettersen and Toby Hanson. RBI a piece from Terrin Vavra, Eli Wilson, and Cole McDevitt.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Team looked solid for the most part. Good game to watch.

Whew! Went to bed with Gophers up 3-0 in the 6th inning. Glad to awake and see that they won.

Meyer was fantastic. Hanson with two boneheaded base running errors and a double on a bunt!

Awesome game last night. Maybe the best Gopher game I have got to see in person since the Glenn Perkins' days. Great pitching performance by Meyers. I will be interested to see how high he gets drafted and if he will come back for his senior year.

Michigan quite possibly cost themselves an NCAA berth with a baffling defensive breakdown. With no on and 1 out in b9 they walked a guy on a wild pitch. The ball got away from the catcher and the runner went to second. For some reason the third baseman crashed to home plate and left the base uncovered, allowing the batter to get to 3b on a walk. Michigan intentionally walked the next 2 batters and then lost on a walk off single.

So the batter gets a triple without the bat even touching the ball. Can't say I've ever heard of that happening before.

So we're a pretty solid lock on hosting a regional now. Anyone keeping tabs on other teams to see if we have a chance of moving up into the top 8?

Great performance by the Gophers, notwithstanding with the aforementioned running blunders. I'm giving Hanson a pass on the play from third. Once he got caught up he allowed the other runners to move up. The pick off was terrible, though.

Thanks to Reggie for keeping the game crisp and getting it done in 2:20. Some of the games have been interminable.

Thanks to Goldy Gopher for his summaries all season long. Since my schedule doesn't allow me to get to any games live, those brief recaps are my window into the team. I'm grateful for his presence on the board and keeping those of us who are distant but interested close to what's going on.

Stuck it out to the end last night. It was worth it to watch Meyers. Great movement on the low 90's fastball. It was like watching Kluber, but a touch softer. Fastball darting down and in was fooling Illinois all night.

Stuck it out to the end last night. It was worth it to watch Meyers. Great movement on the low 90's fastball. It was like watching Kluber, but a touch softer. Fastball darting down and in was fooling Illinois all night.

So did I and I fully agree; it was well worth it to watch Meyer. His movement had the Illini baffled all night, especially that slider/sinker over the inside corner. Illinois never figured that pitch out and a credit to both Meyer and Eli Wilson for recognizing it and taking full advantage.

Can't really ask for a better position in terms of the conference tourney. Two games played, two wins, a pretty well rested bullpen and we haven't even thrown Fredrickson yet. Hope the guys enjoy their day off in Omaha!

Great performance by the Gophers, notwithstanding with the aforementioned running blunders. I'm giving Hanson a pass on the play from third. Once he got caught up he allowed the other runners to move up. The pick off was terrible, though.

Thanks to Reggie for keeping the game crisp and getting it done in 2:20. Some of the games have been interminable.

Thanks to Goldy Gopher for his summaries all season long. Since my schedule doesn't allow me to get to any games live, those brief recaps are my window into the team. I'm grateful for his presence on the board and keeping those of us who are distant but interested close to what's going on.

The Hanson play in the 5th was good baseball. It was a contact play and he was able to stay in the rundown long enough to have 2nd & 3rd.

Awesome game last night. Maybe the best Gopher game I have got to see in person since the Glenn Perkins' days. Great pitching performance by Meyers. I will be interested to see how high he gets drafted and if he will come back for his senior year.

Based on nothing whatsoever.....he gone.

So we're a pretty solid lock on hosting a regional now. Anyone keeping tabs on other teams to see if we have a chance of moving up into the top 8?

It's a very long shot. I think the Gophers would need to win the tourney without dropping a single game and even then it is doubtful. But North Carolina had a bad loss to Pitt and got eliminated. They dropped from 6th to 8th. Georgia went 0-2 and dropped form 3rd to 7th. Those are the big blunders of teams currently projected in the top 8.

For the games on Saturday night and/or Sunday...who gets the start(s)? Are we recycling any of the earlier starters or diving deeper into the rotation??

For the games on Saturday night and/or Sunday...who gets the start(s)? Are we recycling any of the earlier starters or diving deeper into the rotation??
Gophers wouldn't use either of the guys who started the first 2 games even if they were must wins so they definitely won't use them being in a comfortable spot. Patrick Fredrickson will start tomorrow morning against Ohio State and I think Ohio State has already used their 3 weekend guys and their midweek starter came in as a reliever today. The Gophers 4 starter will likely be either Nick Lackney, Sam Thoresen, or Josh Culliver. Nick Lackney has pitched the best down the stretch and has the most starting experience but all 3 guys are probably better options than anyone our opponent will be able to throw out there unless they bring back their game 1 starter on short rest. Gophers have some really solid rested arms that just haven't got much work the 2nd half of the season because of how well Reggie Meyer and Patrick Fredrickson have pitched and the lack of midweek games with all the cancellations.

Very well done by the guys today. Everybody felt that the Gophers were heavy favorites against the Buckeyes and after a couple of shaky moments early, they settled in nicely and basically pounded Ohio State into submission.

Now, it's on to the title game tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Ohio State really didn't get anything going all game offensively aside from the solo homerun in the 1st and really I'm not sure that pitch was even a strike as it looked off the plate inside. Patrick Fredrickson gets the win going 6 innings 2 hits 1 run 2 walks 1 hit batter and 1 strikeout on 77 pitches. Jackson Rose pitched 2 innings and worked around a hit and a couple walks as his command was a little hit and miss in his 2nd inning of work. Jeff Fasching finished things out in the 9th stranding the 1 hit he allowed. Offensively Gophers were a little undisciplined in the first couple innings really kind of bailing out the Ohio State pitcher who has struggled with command all year. After a 1,2,3 1st inning they weren't retired in order again until the 9th and seemed to have runners on constantly. After leaving 2 runners on in the 2nd and the bases loaded in the 3rd they picked up a run in the 4th. Cole McDevitt walked, Alex Boxwell singled, and Jordan Kozicky reached on a bunt single to load the bases with nobody out. Ohio State brought in a lefty but Toby Hanson got the job done with a sac fly. Luke Pettersen drilled a the next pitch but right to the centerfielder and Ben Mezzenga was called out on a pitch that looked outside to end the threat. Gophers struck again in the 6th as Jordan Kozicky walked and Toby Hanson followed with a RBI triple. Luke Pettersen followed that with a single to LF to score Hanson. After a pitching change and failed sac bunt from Riley Smith Ohio State got a good chance at a double play ball to escape the inning but Terrin Vavra beat the throw and the Gophers would make the Buckeyes pay for the 2nd opportunity. Vavra stole 2nd and took 3rd on a wild throw and Eli Wilson and Micah Coffey followed with walks to load the bases. Cole McDevitt drilled a single up the middle to score 2. Following a pitching change Alex Boxwell walked to load them up again and Jordan Kozicky delivered a 2 RBI single to left but Ohio State was able to get Alex Boxwell trying to advance to 3rd for the final out. Gophers would add 1 more run in the 7th via a leadoff walk from Hanson and a double from Pettersen and a RBI groundout from Vavra.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers wouldn't use either of the guys who started the first 2 games even if they were must wins so they definitely won't use them being in a comfortable spot. Patrick Fredrickson will start tomorrow morning against Ohio State and I think Ohio State has already used their 3 weekend guys and their midweek starter came in as a reliever today. The Gophers 4 starter will likely be either Nick Lackney, Sam Thoresen, or Josh Culliver. Nick Lackney has pitched the best down the stretch and has the most starting experience but all 3 guys are probably better options than anyone our opponent will be able to throw out there unless they bring back their game 1 starter on short rest. Gophers have some really solid rested arms that just haven't got much work the 2nd half of the season because of how well Reggie Meyer and Patrick Fredrickson have pitched and the lack of midweek games with all the cancellations.

Personally if I was Anderson I'd be looking to go Culliver for 5-6 innings for the championship game. I just don't trust Thoreson or Lackney this season.

Personally if I was Anderson I'd be looking to go Culliver for 5-6 innings for the championship game. I just don't trust Thoreson or Lackney this season.

They may need all 3 to 2-3 innings apiece before Anderson turns to Schulze and Meyer for the last couple of innings.

I think it comes down to Lackney or Culliver for the start tomorrow and if you get 5 solid innings out of the starter you'd feel really good. If I'm starting who has pitched the best lately it would be Lackney. I could also see starting with Culliver as he has been solid and hoping you might get a little something extra with him wanting to put on a show back in his hometown. Thoresen I think will be an option out of the bullpen along with Duffy, Horton, and Manke. Either way Gophers pitching is well rested and 14 will have many more options than Purdue tomorrow. Gophers offense absolutely mashed on Purdue pitching in the 2 game sweep earlier in the season so hopefully we see more of that tomorrow.

Can someone explain the Super Regional to me? So I get that if all top 8 seeds advance they would all host a super regional, but how does it work if they don't? Let's say hypothetically that the Gophers are the 12th seed. If 4 of the top 8 seeds don't win their regional would the Gophers get one?

Top Bottom