Bay Port WR Cordell Tinch commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Bay Port, Wisconsin wide receiver Cordell Tinch. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois State and Central Florida. Tinch will also run track for the Gophers and brings his athleticism to the gridiron. He set the Wisconsin triple jump record (49-feet, 2 ¼ inches) winning a state title. He also added hardware in the long-jump and brings impressive measurables to the Gophers. He has a wide catch radius and can create after the catch with his legs. More importantly, he has shown positive reps as a run blocker. Tinch hauled in 70 passes for 964 yards and nine touchdowns last year, while playing at the local Green Bay high school.

At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, he has length to pair with his speed and overall physical ability. Tinch will likely be a threat for the Gophers around the red zone and has previous experience returning kicks (two touchdowns). He might need to add more weight to physically make an impact against Big Ten cornerbacks. However, he is the type of dynamic player Minnesota needs in their wide receiver corps. His tape shows a player with impressive ball tracking skills because of his long frame and leaping ability. Tinch is the type of player that will go up and get the football when it is thrown his way. He’ll need to be more physical at the catch point, but that’s something he’ll develop through a training program. Tinch has enough speed to be a threat, especially when he is used in the screen game or via a jet sweep look. He displays pretty good vision to read his blockers in those situations.

As I have discussed numerous times, the Gophers need to add as many viable wide receivers as possible. Tinch will play two sports and is an intriguing athlete for P.J. Fleck and wide receiver coach Matt Simon to work with. The Gophers lack athleticism with injuries and depth issues at the wide receiver spot. They’ve continued to add more options for the class of 2018 to improve this weakness.

Tinch certainly will be intriguing to watch in the spring because of his skill-set.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4232930/59c009380c53e7084801ccc7' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

diamond in the rough! love it! this staff will coach him up. welcome!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Great walk-on get for Fleck from enemy territory!

I just want WR's who can catch the ball. On a couple of prospects, I'm willing to sacrifice height and speed for kids that just flat catch what's thrown to them.

With all due respect, every write-up by Mr House makes the player sound like a can't-miss All-American. Again, to quote the article, he chose MN over Illinois State and Central Florida. If he's that bleepin' good, shouldn't he have offers from some better programs?

Look, I'm partial to track athletes. (my brother is a long-time HS track and cross-country coach). I hope this kid can play. I hope he helps the Gophers.

I'm just feeling a sense of deja vu. Every recruit gets hyped up, and some of them never live up to the hype. If every recruit was as good as the hype, the Gophers would be a better team now. The Gophers are not a better team. Ergo, at least some of the recruits are not as good as promised.

With all due respect, every write-up by Mr House makes the player sound like a can't-miss All-American. Again, to quote the article, he chose MN over Illinois State and Central Florida. If he's that bleepin' good, shouldn't he have offers from some better programs?

Look, I'm partial to track athletes. (my brother is a long-time HS track and cross-country coach). I hope this kid can play. I hope he helps the Gophers.

I'm just feeling a sense of deja vu. Every recruit gets hyped up, and some of them never live up to the hype. If every recruit was as good as the hype, the Gophers would be a better team now. The Gophers are not a better team. Ergo, at least some of the recruits are not as good as promised.

He's not on scholarship for the football team.

He's not on scholarship for the football team.

Do we know for sure if he's a walk-on or scholarship player? Sounds like he can't be a track scholarship, so he'd have to walk on to both teams or get a football scholarship.

Do we know for sure if he's a walk-on or scholarship player? Sounds like he can't be a track scholarship, so he'd have to walk on to both teams or get a football scholarship.

He can practice with the team he just can't play next year.

I just want WR's who can catch the ball. On a couple of prospects, I'm willing to sacrifice height and speed for kids that just flat catch what's thrown to them.

Yep. Fumagalli was rated a 2 star (78) coming out of Illinois. Catches everything within his wingspan.

Just looking at the two teams this weekend what have we seen in recent years: Alex Erickson, low-rated. Pothead Barker, low-rated. Jared Abbrederis...all innately elite at catching the ball but obviously overlooked for one reason or another.

Maybe it's the low quality of high school-produced game tape but seems like a position that hinges on, you know, ability to catch the ball consistently with body control and soft hands would be relatively simple to determine for recruiters. Tired of recruiting basketball players.

Better programs? UCF is undefeated and top 15 in the country. We lost a player to them straight-up last year. I personally think someone would be a complete idiot to walk on here instead of taking a free ride there (particularly since they are a much better program than us right now), but it's not my decision to make.

Wait a second ... Central FLORIDA recruits high school players from Wisconsin?

Sorry, I don't buy that for a second. That would be like the U hockey team recruiting a player from Cuba.

The linked player went to high school in Minnesota. I guess that proves me point.

The linked player went to high school in Minnesota. I guess that proves me point.

He went to Shattuck because he was a superstar hockey player from California. It's a boarding school. He would have been a D1 college hockey player regardless of going to Shattuck or not. Erik Haula and Thomas Vanek went to Shattuck too, but I guess they're not Finnish or Austrian. Oh yeah - not to mention Sidney Crosby...

Again, you're proving my point. There are many star hockey players from all the places you list, including California.

A university in Florida going to Wisconsin for a high school football player is not equivalent to a university in Minnesota going to California for a high school hockey player. My point was not about distance. You seemed to have missed that.

Again, you're proving my point. There are many star hockey players from all the places you list, including California.

A university in Florida going to Wisconsin for a high school football player is not equivalent to a university in Minnesota going to California for a high school hockey player. My point was not about distance. You seemed to have missed that.

You were implying that it is crazy for a school in Florida (a place with a lot of football talent) was crazy to be recruiting in Wisconsin (a place not as well known for football talent). How is that not identical for a Minnesota hockey team (known for hockey talent) to be recruiting a California hockey player (a state not known for hockey talent)?

I'm thinking Adam Thelen type receiver only this guy is faster. Always Gems out there being overlooked. Welcome!

I'm thinking Adam Thelen type receiver only this guy is faster. Always Gems out there being overlooked. Welcome!

Wow. A faster Adam Thelen. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. A faster Adam Thelen. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Thelen type players are everywhere on small town teams across the Upper Midwest. Imagine the receivers PJ would have if the Gopher roster was exclusively from Benson, Rushford, and Dawson.

Adam Thelen type players are everywhere on small town teams across the Upper Midwest. Imagine the receivers PJ would have if the Gopher roster was exclusively from Benson, Rushford, and Dawson.

Or Cold Spring, or Detroit Lakes.

Thelen went to Mankato State, as I’m sure many know. So yes, there are absolutely players who get overlooked by big schools.

Some guy named Rodgers didn’t get any FBS offers out of high school.

You were implying that it is crazy for a school in Florida (a place with a lot of football talent) was crazy to be recruiting in Wisconsin (a place not as well known for football talent). How is that not identical for a Minnesota hockey team (known for hockey talent) to be recruiting a California hockey player (a state not known for hockey talent)?

Even if we pretend that California hasn’t produced many high level hockey players over the years, I still disagree that it’s equivalent, or even a relevant example to the original discussion.

It’s a silly argument, and I’m not going to participate further.

Thelen went to Mankato State, as I’m sure many know. So yes, there are absolutely players who get overlooked by big schools.

Some guy named Rodgers didn’t get any FBS offers out of high school.

Eric Decker almost ended up at St. John's. Gophers were his only chance to play D1.

Let's just watch the prep bowl this weekend and see which WR's get the most yards and sign them.

yay! another 'athlete' who we hope can actually catch the football. I repeat - CATCH THE FOOTBALL. For those of you who are still wondering, the number 1 job of a WR is to CATCH THE FOOTBALL. And yes, at the risk of repeating myself, the #1 job of a wide receiver is to CATCH THE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just ask the Vikings how all their #1 WR draft picks have worked out. They all seem to have problems CATCHING THE FOOTBALL.

yay! another 'athlete' who we hope can actually catch the football. I repeat - CATCH THE FOOTBALL. For those of you who are still wondering, the number 1 job of a WR is to CATCH THE FOOTBALL. And yes, at the risk of repeating myself, the #1 job of a wide receiver is to CATCH THE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just ask the Vikings how all their #1 WR draft picks have worked out. They all seem to have problems CATCHING THE FOOTBALL.

What is it that a WR is supposed to do?

Top Bottom