What's the highest we'll get ranked this year?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Any predictions for where we will peak in the polls this year?

Any predictions for where we will peak in the polls this year?

Assuming this is pre NCAA tourney. Anything happens at tourney time regardless of rankings. And this team will cause trouble in the tourney.

3. If we had Curry then a 1. Maybe next year the 1.

5 or 6. I think we go undefeated in the OOC but after that, I don't know.

1, I think we go undefeated until at least 2/13 when we play MSU at home.

In all honesty, I think we can get to top 5 with an undefeated Non-conf schedule and a handful of big ten wins to start off the year. It'll be tough, but I think we can beat Alabama, Miami, Arkansas & win at least our first 4 conference games (including the first 2 against Rutgers and Nebraska). That would definitely put us in the top 10 and maybe even in the 4-7 range depending on how others do. If we win the next 2 at NW and vs Purdue... then we've got to be a Top 5 team and I really don't think it's that crazy.

This is all conditional of course. In a perfect season that would be a perfect record and #1. I do believe it is possible. We deserve this team! That, of course, is also conditional. :)

Man, I'm not as confident as you guys in an undefeated OOC record. I think we get above 10 once or twice but spend most of our time in the 10-20 range. My hope is that we maintain top 25 status all year, that would be quite the accomplishment for our program. I think that is much more important than our peak position in the polls.

Man, I'm not as confident as you guys in an undefeated OOC record. I think we get above 10 once or twice but spend most of our time in the 10-20 range. My hope is that we maintain top 25 status all year, that would be quite the accomplishment for our program. I think that is much more important than our peak position in the polls.

I am somewhere in the middle. I would be very surprised if we are not a Top 25 team all year.. that said, we have some tough games coming up. We have back to back Top 25 opponents coming up (Alabama and Miami) plus a tough road game at Arkansas. If we go undefeated heading into January we are a top 5 to 8 team. If we have one loss I think we are right around where we are now.

Agree with all of this.

For sure. Especially considering Tubby's last squad made it all the way up to #9 (I think) after rolling the Illini in Champaign.

But having said that, I'm betting we will reach the top 5 this season.

I am somewhere in the middle. I would be very surprised if we are not a Top 25 team all year.. that said, we have some tough games coming up. We have back to back Top 25 opponents coming up (Alabama and Miami) plus a tough road game at Arkansas. If we go undefeated heading into January we are a top 5 to 8 team. If we have one loss I think we are right around where we are now.

Having spent a good hunk of my adult life in the swirl of 18-23 year old culture, I believe they can go undefeated in the NC season. I also know that age bracket well enough to know it is likely they come out unprepared for a game or two and lose one they shouldn't. I would be happy with a one loss NC, but would not be surprised with undefeated, but it won't be easy. All that and a low level B1G this year, and I think it is most likely they stay pretty near where they are now in the ratings most of the season.

The Miami game is the key. If we can win that, we'll move up to #8 or so. Then winning at Arkansas could mean a 17-0 start and top 5. I sense we'll drop one or the other and peak around #8.

For sure. Especially considering Tubby's last squad made it all the way up to #9 (I think) after rolling the Illini in Champaign.

But having said that, I'm betting we will reach the top 5 this season.

We were #8 after beating MSU at home.

Then the next week we won at Illinois who was in the top 15 but we lost to IU in the same week. It would have been nice if the IU game had been the week after the new polls came out because I remember there were a ton of team in the top 7 that lost that week and our loss to IU cancelled out our win at Illinois. Had that been the case I remember thinking we would have been top 3 in the entire country thinking that we would leap frog one or two teams with our Illinois win and pass the other teams that lost.

Man, that week might have been the most excited I've ever been about gopher basketball or football in my life.

The Miami game is the key. If we can win that, we'll move up to #8 or so. Then winning at Arkansas could mean a 17-0 start and top 5. I sense we'll drop one or the other and peak around #8.

It'd be nice if we could leapfrog a team or two after potentially beating a ranked Bama team this week.

If we don't start guarding the three better, we will lose a game this week and peak where we are right now!

I think Pitino will fix the D and we will win our first 4 B1G games and be 16-1. Figure we will flirt with single digits at that point.

If we don't start guarding the three better, we will lose a game this week and peak where we are right now!

I think Pitino will fix the D and we will win our first 4 B1G games and be 16-1. Figure we will flirt with single digits at that point.

If we win the next 2 we are 7-0 including 3 non home team wins against top 25ish teams. Will be in the top 10 and considering where we were 14 months ago it's a remarkable place to find ourselves.

Man, I'm not as confident as you guys in an undefeated OOC record.

I'm not either. With four top 40 opponents in non-conference, chances are that they lose at least one of those games. There's enough evidence to conclude that this is a very good team but not enough yet to be confident that this is a great team (like one that loses 4 or fewer games in a season).

Agreed . We will know much more after Wednesday's game. I feel confident they can be an 8 but there too many variables in the long season that can influence this #. Look @ last year when Nate was not healthy and it disrupted our entire offense. I will be there Wednesday and am really looking forward to this match up !

Agreed . We will know much more after Wednesday's game. I feel confident they can be an 8 but there too many variables in the long season that can influence this #. Look @ last year when Nate was not healthy and it disrupted our entire offense. I will be there Wednesday and am really looking forward to this match up !

I'm agreeing 100%. Miami and Bama will be giant tests for us to see where we rate. We may lose. However, not since 1997 have I ever been more confident that the gophers can win these. All through the tubby era, the deficiencies were glaring and I knew we had flaws that would and did get exposed. This team is so balanced that if rhey play to potential, we can beat any one.

Top Bottom