Jeff Borzello's top 25 power rankings: Minnesota #8

die hard gopher

Reaction score

This is so cool, but it seems unlikely that this will translate into a serious move up in the AP or Coaches polls. Not too many teams above them lost.

Then again, it doesn't really matter. If this team keeps playing like it is, they'll get there eventually.

Win the games you are supposed to win. In the case of the Gophers...maybe I'm cocky but who on the schedule before January should be favored to beat us? Have fun guys!

The next 6 games are all huge games, in my opinion.

Alabama A&M is a must win (and should be an easy win)

UMASS is at a weird location but should be a win.

Alabama is a big one! Followed by Miami, Rutgers, @ Nebraska, @ Arkansas. If the Gophers come out of this stretch unscathed, they head back into some weaker (on paper) non-conference games.

Arkansas will be a very tough game, they are receiving votes in the AP Top 25 and Coaches Poll and is a true road game. But the Gophers will be battle tested at this point.

I'd REALLY like to be 15-2 or better after 17 games. This is asking a lot and I don't know where the two losses come from but I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit. 15-2 with that schedule would make me quite happy. Especially knowing that involves 4 winnable conference games.

This is so cool, but it seems unlikely that this will translate into a serious move up in the AP or Coaches polls. Not too many teams above them lost.

Then again, it doesn't really matter. If this team keeps playing like it is, they'll get there eventually.

Wichita State is getting manhandled by Cal at the moment, so that might bump us up a spot next week...

Wichita State is getting manhandled by Cal at the moment, so that might bump us up a spot next week...

I'd like to go on record and say that I posted this in the second half of that game with Cal up 18.

The next 6 games are all huge games, in my opinion.

Alabama A&M is a must win (and should be an easy win)

UMASS is at a weird location but should be a win.

Alabama is a big one! Followed by Miami, Rutgers, @ Nebraska, @ Arkansas. If the Gophers come out of this stretch unscathed, they head back into some weaker (on paper) non-conference games.

Arkansas will be a very tough game, they are receiving votes in the AP Top 25 and Coaches Poll and is a true road game. But the Gophers will be battle tested at this point.

I'd REALLY like to be 15-2 or better after 17 games. This is asking a lot and I don't know where the two losses come from but I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit. 15-2 with that schedule would make me quite happy. Especially knowing that involves 4 winnable conference games.

Yeah I'd be happy with 15-2 and content with 14-3. I'm hoping for 4-0 in conference and 1 out of 3 against Bama, Miami, and Arkansas.

Conference games are always tough so we may drop one, but I think two out of three(or three out of three!) in the non-con games isn't out of the question either.

We'll certainly know a lot more about this team after the next 7 games.

It is a bit way too early, but should we be dreaming of a possibility of a Final Four appearance?

Dream all you want! I don't see a final 4 team, but I do see a team that can beat anyone in the country on any given night, so who knows what happens come tournament time. I'm going to have a lot of fun watching this year.

I see a Final Four team. It's 97 all over again. Minus the cheating. I think.

This team can be better than the 97 team which was pretty awesome!

I actually think that right now the Gophers are a top 6 team and actually better than Michigan State. I expect the Gophers to win the conference.

My biggest fear is playing teams with length. We have no depth with our bigs, so if we ever get into foul trouble, our guys off the bench just won't be able to compete unless our guards are shooting lights out. I think we can take on Purdue, but I don't think we can beat Michigan State unless we play an almost perfect game at home.

Top Bottom