STrib: Gophers unselfish play gives Dupree McBrayer a chance to regroup

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

One sequence in Sunday’s 92-64 win against Western Carolina is all it took for the Gophers to show the type of unselfishness that makes them an even better offensive team than last season.

Amir Coffey stole the ball at the opposing foul line and quickly tossed a pass up the court to Dupree McBrayer, who appeared to have an open lane to the basket.

A Western Carolina guard hustled back to contest McBrayer’s shot, but he sensed the defender and threw a behind the back pass to Coffey for the two-hand dunk. A year ago, that play probably doesn’t happen.

But there’s a reason the 4-0 Gophers average 94.3 points this season.

McBrayer started off slow this season with a couple games under double figures, but he wasn’t overly concerned with trying to get himself back on track.

“I’m not too worried about it,” said McBrayer, who missed a few months of practice with a leg injury this offseason. “I’m coming back from injury. I’m not too worried about that though. I’m worried about winning.”

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-unselfish-play-gives-dupree-mcbrayer-a-chance-to-regroup/458725883/

Go Gophers!!

Most underappreciated Gopher, by a substantial margin. Everyone always trying to put him on the bench. Does a lot of stuff. Talent was obvious in freshman year even when he was struggling.

Dupree is the x factor that will determine whether we are a final four contender or just a first weekend team. If he breaks out like I think he can, teams will not be able to handle our core group. Mason and Coffey get all of the attention on the perimeter, which will leave McBrayer with an opportunity to exploit most teams. When all our guys are playing like they can, it's hard to imagine a more well rounded top 6 rotation than Mason, McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy, Lynch, and Washington.

As stated above, X factor, under appreciated, I will throw in the “glue guy” as well. Probably the fourth or fifth name on the scout list for opponents but that means we are a pretty good team. Loved how he handled coming off the bench last year...no big deal, I just want to win. I replied to a post last year with a simple “Dupree is pretty good at basketball” I stand by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he's an X factor at all. I think we know what we are going to get from him most nights.

Washington is much more of a typical x factor.

Most underappreciated Gopher, by a substantial margin. Everyone always trying to put him on the bench. Does a lot of stuff. Talent was obvious in freshman year even when he was struggling.

Yeah, pretty amazing some of the comments a month ago, he was the new Carlos Morris in some GH'ers minds.

Is Eric Curry out for the season?

Agreed. He has very relatively few really bad plays, but they seem to stand out to a lot of people on here. This is paired with him being quietly very efficient, versatile, crafty, and unselfish.

I don't think he's an X factor at all. I think we know what we are going to get from him most nights.

Washington is much more of a typical x factor.

Great points. McBrayer has had a few really bad stretches, but for the most part he has been quite consistent especially considering we're talking about just a little more than his first two years of D1 basketball. I think some people might have meant more that if he takes that next step (let's say 3rd team or honorable mention), that pushes our ceiling really high because that's just so many weapons in one lineup for teams to handle. We know what we're getting from our 4 best players and if he can take that next step then we can make the FF. I think what you're saying is that on any given day, Washington has the biggest range, so he's an x factor.

I think this is a FF team if during the tournament our most important players are really healthy, we stay out of foul trouble, and Washington is efficient. Without major injuries I will be shocked (and heart broken) if we don't at least make the S16.

Top Bottom