Cal Visitor

GoBears

Reaction score
Hey Gophers-
Cal fan here looking forward to a good match between the Gophers and Bears and a fun visit to Minneapolis. I'm also looking for a good place to visit pre & post game for some libations and intellectual discussions about the relative merits of our teams.
Any recommendation?
Thanks

Hey Gophers-
Cal fan here looking forward to a good match between the Gophers and Bears and a fun visit to Minneapolis. I'm also looking for a good place to visit pre & post game for some libations and intellectual discussions about the relative merits of our teams.
Any recommendation?
Thanks

Stadium Village bars in the vicinity of Washington Ave SE & Oak Street SE (2 blocks south of stadium)
-Sally's (20's & low 30's crowd maybe a little older on game day)
-Stub & Herb's (a little older than Sally's)
-Big 10 (mixed ages, more sit down restaurant w/ great subs)
-Campus Pizza (no idea of crowd)

Dinkytown: 4th St. SE-5th St. SE x 13th Ave SE-15th Ave SE (5 blocks west of stadium)
-Blarney's Pub (college age) 14th between 4th & 5th
-The Library Bar & Grill (college age) 4th & 13th
-Burrito Loco (college age) 13th between 4th & 5th

With the opener tomorrow I haven't bothered looking ahead to Cal yet but Jahvid Best scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping Riley plays more like '08 than the performance he showed against Maryland.

Hey Gophers-
Any recommendation?
Thanks
I found this on another Gopher board, and I and my boys usually roll with a plan similar to this whenever we hit road games. Cutting and pasting a general guide to travel is better than specifics, in my opinion. So, here you go:

Posted by "Sir Tipsy McStagger of Minnesota" on thedailygopher.com

"Hey Roy! I hope you have a great time on your visit. Are you traveling solo or with just 1 buddy? If so, I’ll lay out a plan for you… this has worked countless times for my friend Lloyd and I as we traveled the country watching college football.

1. Don’t wear you school colors on Friday night (or whatever day you arrive). Save that for Saturday. Dress as you would any other day and wander the campus (maybe stash your luggage in a locker at the student union or simply pack light/just a backpack).
2. Since your not 21, perhaps you could mingle around the dorms or roam the streets of Dinkytown and find a house party. $5 should get you all the beer you want.
3. Strike up conversation with groups of ladies and let them know that you’re a prospective grad-student on a campus visit. Often they’re willing to show you around and may invite you to join them at another party or an after party. At this point, you’re set! You can go to the afer party and stay up into the wee hours and crash on a couch. If you’ve hit it off with a lady, you can share her bed.

(if you slept on a couch or in a lady’s bed, skip to step 5)

4. If it’s 3 AM and you find yourself alone, walk toward the stadium and take the the transit way about a quarter of a mile toward the St. Paul campus and sleep in the bushes there. You can get some sleep and wake up right by the stadium pull on you Cal sweater and go find a tailgate that will offer you some grub. If you did things right, you’ll have no problem sleeping until noon.

(if you you slept in the bushes, no need to read any further)

5. Wake up early while others in the house (including the lady you crashed with) are still sleeping. Make yourself some eggs, toast, etc… (cook for you buddy too, if he’s with you) Grab the last beer and last slice of pizza and get out of there. Go find some coffee and kill the rest of the morning reading the newspaper or find a shady spot to take a nap until tailgating starts. You might even find some house parties starting early in Dinkytown. Good Luck!"

Hey Gophers-
Any recommendation?
Thanks

well, you can take your intellectual discussions about the relative merits of each of our teams and shove them right up your arse you pinot grigio drinking, cheese-eating, left coast P.O.S.!

just playin! welcome aboard. see the link oski wow posted to a previous thread about this. ;)

Thanks for the mid-western hospitality....and congrats on your win today. The academies are always a tough game.
We cruised against a patsy today...still not sure how good we are, but #10 feels a bit overrated. Next weeks game will be our first real test...and yes, Best is a beast.

If I was Cosgrove, I'd make your quarterback beat me. I know your QB threw for almost 300 yards against Maryland but I'd play four d-lineman and 4 line backers. I'd make your QB beat us and not Best.

Especially with Maryland only beating freakin' James Madison by 3 in OT........

Hopefully it will be a good game but Cal will probably be Top 3 toughest games we play this year.......

I agree our biggest question mark is the passing game. Riley and receivers need to step up big time this year if we are going to stay in the top 20.
There's huge focus on Best, but I think our primary strength is our defense. They were very stingy last year and looking just as strong this year. I think you will be pressed to score more than 21 against us....question is can we put up enough points.

We need Sherels back as well. Collado is the one who was burned on the AF TD.

As well as about 7 other times in the last 2 season.......

Yea, I agree. I'm not trying to rag on the kid cuz I don't know him but why is still in there playing as much as he is. I understand Sherels is hurt but are there really no other options. It isn't like he gets burned and it's only a small gain, it usually goes for a touchdown or some huge chunk of yardage. There's gotta be somebody else...

Yea, I agree. I'm not trying to rag on the kid cuz I don't know him but why is still in there playing as much as he is. I understand Sherels is hurt but are there really no other options. It isn't like he gets burned and it's only a small gain, it usually goes for a touchdown or some huge chunk of yardage. There's gotta be somebody else...

That's what's so scary...NOBODY ELSE? Wow.......

I think your db's will be key. Our short passing game to the TE or running backs is virtually non-existant. We tend to depend on longer routes to our WR's. If you can rattle our QB and/or cover our recievers, then we will have a game on our hands. While Best is a stud, we have been inconsitent on offense when the passing game isn't working.
I'm thinking this is a low scoring game dominated by two strong defenses. I've seen some on this board predicting a 30 point Cal victory...I wish I could agree, but we have a tendency to suck against non-conference opponents on the road. On paper (and in my heart) I'm looking for a Cal victory, but I think the margin will be closer to 10 points. That means breaks and turnovers will be huge and could turn the game either way.
We are looking forward to breakfast beers at Stadium Village, seeing TCF, eating fried cheese, and wearing our Blue & Gold to the game!

Top Bottom