Seth Green in Year Zero

milfoil

Banned
Reaction score
The question has come up as to whether PJ Fleck is serious about winning this year?
For the answer, you might want to consider the case of Seth Green...
With the coach's polarizing personality, it could have been predicted that he would lose maybe 25% of the team to transfers and just checking out. But the evolving QB situation has been more than revealing.
Statistically, you could not provide much less than what Rhoda and Croft have. In fact, both have actually made Mitch Leidner look downright competent- a feat in itself. And yet, the most highly rated QB the Gophers have recruited in a decade (an ex Oregon commit at that) is buried on the bench. Due, one could suspect, to his lack of enthusiasm for sprinting down the sidelines.
Successful Power5 coaches at Alabama, Michigan, even Wisconsin, will plug in QBs until they find one that can play winning football. But not PJ.
My advice to coach, for what its worth, is to start Seth Green against the Badgers. You might just catch lightning in a bottle. And at this point, that seems our best hope for victory- unless winning in year zero just isn't that important...

Everyone always loves the 4th string QB.

With Croft injured at NW it would have seemed like an opportune time to give Green a series or two. Maybe he could have caught the snap better or something. I'm sure his How isn't HYPPER elite enough though.

I have no idea if Green is any good. I don't think Croft was as bad yesterday as the stats showed, but down 39-0 with no plans to throw a pass, why not put Green in? Give him a few snaps while reducing the chance of injury to Croft. Leaving Croft in (and the running backs, for that matter) made no sense.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Probably because he is worse than the other 3 scholarship quarterbacks on the roster.

Well, for a fan, that is a faith based conclusion because we have no personal observation to make that judgement.

I have no idea if Green is any good. I don't think Croft was as bad yesterday as the stats showed, but down 39-0 with no plans to throw a pass, why not put Green in? Give him a few snaps while reducing the chance of injury to Croft. Leaving Croft in (and the running backs, for that matter) made no sense.

PJ trying to keep the score close. :rolleyes:

I will not question where he is on the depth chart, but there is something in what you are saying. If you have given up on winning (the 4th and 5 punt, virtually all runs at EOG, etc.), what is to be gained by playing an injured (per PJ) QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, for a fan, that is a faith based conclusion because we have no personal observation to make that judgement.

If you watched the spring game or went to a practice you can see why he is behind Croft and Rhoda.

Saw them at a practice in the fall. Croft and Rhoda were head and shoulders better than any of the other QB's that day.
I agree with Jimbo Morgan though. With Croft being injured and no passing game what so ever mainly due to the weather conditions, giving Green a series, especially against the wind should have happened.

Seth Green was not a good high school QB and he'll never be a viable option here at QB. Oregon no longer wanted him as a QB and Minnesota was the only P5 school willing to give him a shot at QB.

He'll either have to change positions or transfer out if he wants to see playing time.

OP has to be Badger fan with some lingering concern that Wisconsin could look past this game on the way to the CCG against OSU.

Croft, and the threat he poses as a ball-runner, gives MN the best chance to keep the game even into the fourth quarter.

Seth Green was not a good high school QB and he'll never be a viable option here at QB. Oregon no longer wanted him as a QB and Minnesota was the only P5 school willing to give him a shot at QB.

He'll either have to change positions or transfer out if he wants to see playing time.

I obviously didn't follow it too closely ... but wasn't he a highly regarded QB coming out of East Ridge (Woodbury)?? Like 4 stars, or something really high for a MN high school player?

I know he had to play his senior year in Texas because ER got pounded by rules violations. Did he take a turn for the worse down there, or what?

OP has to be Badger fan with some lingering concern that Wisconsin could look past this game on the way to the CCG against OSU.

Croft, and the threat he poses as a ball-runner, gives MN the best chance to keep the game even into the fourth quarter.

Assuming he's healthy enough for the coaches to let him keep the ball?

I obviously didn't follow it too closely ... but wasn't he a highly regarded QB coming out of East Ridge (Woodbury)?? Like 4 stars, or something really high for a MN high school player?

I know he had to play his senior year in Texas because ER got pounded by rules violations. Did he take a turn for the worse down there, or what?

He was a 4* but was downgraded to a 3* last year. He split time with a QB in Texas that went to Brown. Green basically came in to be a running threat.

He was a 4* but was downgraded to a 3* last year. He split time with a QB in Texas that went to Brown. Green basically came in to be a running threat.

So, he's a great athlete ... can't throw the ball?

Like a Marquis Gray type?

So, he's a great athlete ... can't throw the ball?

Like a Marquis Gray type?

Great athlete, yes. Not sure you can make the comparison to Gray who was a good HS QB. I also have no idea if Green can catch.

Successful Power5 coaches...even Wisconsin, will plug in QBs...

Remember Bart Houston from CA that went to wisconsin as a 4 star recruit?

He attempted 5 passes his first 2 years that he was eligible to play. Played 1 game as a freshman and 1 as a sophomore.

I don't think playing a true freshman qb against that Wisconsin is a good idea. They literally broke Michigan's freshman qb. I want to see the kid play because I hope he is better than what we have bit this is the wrong team to do it against.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Here's the thing - the #1 rationale for playing Croft is that he is more mobile than Rhoda and able to add a dimension with his running. If - as Fleck said - Croft is nursing an injury that hampered his ability to run, then the coaches need to determine who gives the Gophers the highest chance of winning.

Rhoda - a (possibly) injured Croft - Green - or Morgan.

Play the players who give you the highest chance of winning.

The question has come up as to whether PJ Fleck is serious about winning this year?
For the answer, you might want to consider the case of Seth Green...
With the coach's polarizing personality, it could have been predicted that he would lose maybe 25% of the team to transfers and just checking out. But the evolving QB situation has been more than revealing.
Statistically, you could not provide much less than what Rhoda and Croft have. In fact, both have actually made Mitch Leidner look downright competent- a feat in itself. And yet, the most highly rated QB the Gophers have recruited in a decade (an ex Oregon commit at that) is buried on the bench. Due, one could suspect, to his lack of enthusiasm for sprinting down the sidelines.
Successful Power5 coaches at Alabama, Michigan, even Wisconsin, will plug in QBs until they find one that can play winning football. But not PJ.
My advice to coach, for what its worth, is to start Seth Green against the Badgers. You might just catch lightning in a bottle. And at this point, that seems our best hope for victory- unless winning this year just isn't that important...

No doubt about it.....Green could lead us to a bunch of victories but PJ wants to lose this year and is tanking as some have clearly pointed out so he is leaving a stud QB on the bench in order to avoid winning games this year.

You made the comment right in your post about Rhoda and Croft making Leidner look good, we are all finding out first hand this year why the coaches didn't make a change last year when Mitch was playing poorly, the guys behind him just weren't good enough. As much as some of you can't stand PJ do you really think he would leave Green on the bench if he felt he was an upgrade over Croft or Rhoda?

You make the assumption that they are not playing Green because they don't want to win. It couldn't be because he isn't good enough. It is an easy argument to make as a fan, the next guy up must be better. Clearly someone sitting in the stands or watching at home on their big screen is far more capable of making personnel decisions then the people that work with the players everyday.

Here's the thing - the #1 rationale for playing Croft is that he is more mobile than Rhoda and able to add a dimension with his running. If - as Fleck said - Croft is nursing an injury that hampered his ability to run, then the coaches need to determine who gives the Gophers the highest chance of winning.

Rhoda - a (possibly) injured Croft - Green - or Morgan.

Play the players who give you the highest chance of winning.

Is there any proof what so ever that they are not playing the players they believe will give them the best shot to win....I mean outside of fan speculation and arm-chair quarterbacking is there any proof at all that they are trying to lose?

Many fans are so stuck on the year zero thing and have interpreted it completely different then it was intended. It wasn't meant to say they are trying not to win, it was simply a way of saying the results of this year won't define the program. Much the same way Kill came in saying it would take 6 years to get the program to the point where it would be competitive. The coaches are still doing the best they can with what they have and are trying to win each and every game. They are competitors and there is zero chance they want to lose or look bad.

East ridge high school was more successful after he left

Is there any proof what so ever that they are not playing the players they believe will give them the best shot to win....I mean outside of fan speculation and arm-chair quarterbacking is there any proof at all that they are trying to lose?

Many fans are so stuck on the year zero thing and have interpreted it completely different then it was intended. It wasn't meant to say they are trying not to win, it was simply a way of saying the results of this year won't define the program. Much the same way Kill came in saying it would take 6 years to get the program to the point where it would be competitive. The coaches are still doing the best they can with what they have and are trying to win each and every game. They are competitors and there is zero chance they want to lose or look bad.

You keep railing on this despite admitting you didn't watch the end of the Purdue game. My suggestion is go to BTN app, watch the game and tell me they played the best people.

Wonder if Green is going to transfer out of here and if that has entered whether to have him spell Croft or not?

Croft is nursing "a lower body injury" according to J.G. yet there are people on here that insist that he should play because he's their best "running QB".Okay, it's the internet and if there's one thing we all know, plenty of people ignore anything that doesn't support their own views.

Keeping Croft out there to run a team, that was only gonna run, when he couldn't run himself? That's a whole 'nother question.

I wonder if Green sticks around, the writing appears to be on the walls that PJ's not a fan.

Wonder if Green is going to transfer out of here and if that has entered whether to have him spell Croft or not?

Croft is nursing "a lower body injury" according to J.G. yet there are people on here that insist that he should play because he's their best "running QB".Okay, it's the internet and if there's one thing we all know, plenty of people ignore anything that doesn't support their own views.

Keeping Croft out there to run a team, that was only gonna run, when he couldn't run himself? That's a whole 'nother question.

that's what I'm saying. I am NOT saying that Fleck is "trying to lose." All I'm saying is this: IF Croft is injured, and IF that injury hampers his ability to run, then I would rather see a healthy Rhoda, or even a healthy Green out there instead of an injured Croft. Look, Green could stink on ice for all I know - but he's on the team, he's practiced all year, and he presumably knows the offense. So IF Croft is injured, let Green try, or put Rhoda back in before you put an injured player out there who may not be able to perform at 100%.

Top Bottom