Seth Green in Year Zero

I have it from a very reliable source inside the team that Green just doesn't get it and will never be the starting QB for the Gophers. He could change positions and be an effective TE or WR but the staff doesn't like him as a QB. Could be another Moses A. story

I have it from a very reliable source inside the team that Green just doesn't get it and will never be the starting QB for the Gophers. He could change positions and be an effective TE or WR but the staff doesn't like him as a QB. Could be another Moses A. story

Given the way he is being handled this year and the fact that he can't get in there even with the subpar play in front of him this would certainly make a lot of sense. Oregon didn't want him as a QB and it seemed like most other schools were looking at him for other spots as well.

What does that reliable source tell you about Croft's injury? How long has he had it and will it linger thru Saturday?

What does that reliable source tell you about Croft's injury? How long has he had it and will it linger thru Saturday?

I was surprised to see that he had an injury. I didn't see any limp on Saturday or against Nebraska.

It is all about attitude and a strong will to succeed. It was only after David Cobb adjusted his attitude that he went on to do great things for his career.

Green is a terrible quarterback, that's about all there is to it.

Did you notice him trying to avoid all contact when he was running the ball?

yes, and that was extremely frustrating.
I watched the first quarter last night and I think it could have been a totally different game had the Gophers scored on their first two possessions. On the first drive, there was a draw play on second and short where it looks like the hole was to the left and Smith missed it and ran right and straight into defenders. Still's drop was big. McCrary had a large gap on his fumble and should have had the ball in the left hand. Little mistakes the offense made and then it got ugly.
I got the feeling Croft did not want to be there once we were down.

The only time it really stood out was on one run where he ran out of bounds instead of trying to get the first down. But as it was happening I didn't think he looked injured. Which is probably why they played him over Rhoda even with the injury, yes they knew it would limit his running quite a bit but even a very limited Croft can still run better then a statue with basically zero running ability of any kind in Rhoda.

Leidner had flaws, but the guy had a lot of heart. This game required will and it didn't appear that Croft wanted it enough and that's disappointing when it's your QB.

The only time it really stood out was on one run where he ran out of bounds instead of trying to get the first down. But as it was happening I didn't think he looked injured. Which is probably why they played him over Rhoda even with the injury, yes they knew it would limit his running quite a bit but even a very limited Croft can still run better then a statue with basically zero running ability of any kind in Rhoda.

That was the most glaring example. The one where posters were talking about him "having no heart" and letting his teammates down. However, even Mason commented a few times on the lack of run option by the Gophers. It can't really be run if the chance of the QB holding onto the ball and taking-off is zero.

Don't know if he could have avoided a sack or two if he was more mobile either, but that seems likely too.

Leidner had flaws, but the guy had a lot of heart. This game required will and it didn't appear that Croft wanted it enough and that's disappointing when it's your QB.

That's way beneath you. He's been told to do it and he gets the blame huh?

Regarding some good points...
As for what a QB does in "practice, we talkin' 'bout practice," I distinctly recall Jacques Perra outplaying everyone in spring games but never seeing the field.
And could we stop blaming the receivers please. When Drew Brees started out at Purdue, he made some nondescript wideouts into top conference performers- which is what good QBs do.
I don't know if Seth Green is even close to being a game changing QB, but I DO KNOW that Croft and Rhoda aren't...so why not give the kid his shot? He came back home to live out this dream and what a story the hometown hero beating Bucky would make...

Underlined = Yes you do. If he was, he would have been in a game by now. It is obvious that Green is buried in the QB depth chart. He isn't climbing out for Wisc..

Bolded = who gets blamed for the drops then?

Greene's only path to NFL is tight en

Green is a terrible quarterback, that's about all there is to it.
Greene should take a look at Lender's college career. Played QB the whole time and barely sniffed NFL camp. If his goal is to play in the NFL he needs to make switch now to TE. Doesn't have to be here, but if he wants to see the field in College and then NFL he needs to forget about being a QB

That's way beneath you. He's been told to do it and he gets the blame huh?

Maybe it’s not fair for me to criticize. Was he coached to avoid contact? I am sure I missed something in the post game notes as I was trying to warm up and forget about the game for a few days.

Maybe it’s not fair for me to criticize. Was he coached to avoid contact? I am sure I missed something in the post game notes as I was trying to warm up and forget about the game for a few days.

Coach said that Croft avoided contact because "he was dealing with a lower body injury". Croft himself said a few weeks ago that he been told to slide when he's about to be hit "because coaches said that we can't afford any more quarterback injuries".

Coach said that Croft avoided contact because "he was dealing with a lower body injury". Croft himself said a few weeks ago that he been told to slide when he's about to be hit "because coaches said that we can't afford any more quarterback injuries".

Thank you.
Fleck appears to have a game plan or script this season and if it works great and if it doesn’t then we just have to wait until the right cast is in place.

That was the most glaring example. The one where posters were talking about him "having no heart" and letting his teammates down. However, even Mason commented a few times on the lack of run option by the Gophers. It can't really be run if the chance of the QB holding onto the ball and taking-off is zero.

Don't know if he could have avoided a sack or two if he was more mobile either, but that seems likely too.

Agree that it takes away the read option part of the offense, but even if you take Croft out due to the injury that doesn't come back into play with Rhoda who can't run at all. So given that throwing the ball was going to be difficult given the conditions you stay with the QB who can at least move a little when things break down even if you aren't going to call a lot of running plays for him.

Did anybody else notice Sam Pickerign on the clipboard at Evanston?

I don't think playing a true freshman qb against that Wisconsin is a good idea. They literally broke Michigan's freshman qb. I want to see the kid play because I hope he is better than what we have bit this is the wrong team to do it against.

Good thing that no one is advocating for the Gophers to play a true freshman QB against your beloved badgers.

Why didn't PJ bench Demry when he dropped the snap and picked it up instead of falling on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, then. I hope he does make the switch to TE and give it a shot to help the Gophs out.

Tough part there, if you never played the position before, is the blocking. Tons of technique involved, not natural motions at all. And can be difficult schematically. Especially in a run offense like Minnesota.

l don't have a problem with them starting Croft. My problem was that they stayed with him knowing he was hurt and completely ineffective. I don't know that Rhoda was the answer, but if there was a game to play Green, that was probably it. They were going to run most of the time anyway, and if you're going to run the read option (at least the look of it), it'd be nice if there was an actual option for the QB to keep it. Green could have not thrown the ball as well as Croft.

Also, I really don't care about Morgan's RS. If he is the better QB (I don't know that, obviously) I would start him even if it's one game. If it would have given them a chance to beat NW (or will with WI) and make a Bowl game I think it's worth it, solely because the hope is he'll be passed on the depth chart by someone else in a couple years. Now if he's truly not ready, then forget it. That's what we don't know...

One final thing - am I the only one that feels like Croft passes better when he runs the ball also? Maybe it's just the awful defenses they were playing those games, but it seems like when he gets going in the run game his passing picks up.

Top Bottom