PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 11-19-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday, Nov 19.

(Fleck called in late, and it was a shorter segment than usual)

Sid: you've had more weather problems than any coach in the world
PJF: we've got to play better. turned ball over 5 times. worst performance we've had in terms of turning ball over. not going to win games like that. turn the ball over on your own end of the field, that's the score you get. all part of the process.

Sid: looked like you were in the game at 13-0. INT turned game around
PJF: get down 19-0, 25-0 at half, that's what happens. we're not built to be able to throw the ball for 400 yards. we will be, but not now. their strength is stopping the run. one of best rushing defenses in country. we've got guys out on o-line. had to have ability to throw ball (and weren't able to).

Max: how did you handle coaching Croft this week?
PJF: (when you play) people find out what you are capable of doing. people say, you've got to beat us through the air. we had 5-6 drops. WR's didn't play to the best of their ability. We didn't throw the ball particularly well. once you're down 19-0, everything changes, especially in that weather. person who turns ball over more, not going to win. hard to score a lot of points. we gave them a short field. we gave the game to them because of the way we turned the ball over.

Sid: Tyler Johnson
PJF: lost for year. was one of our only productive guys. we had to put people in roles they haven't had before - maybe shouldn't be in those roles. need guys to mature faster. not doing that now in some positions. young guys playing for 1st time. Demry - had one of best possible games last week, then we had one of our worst possible offensive performances. see that a lot in year 1 teams with new culture, new systems. I remember our 1-11 season at WMU. we got beat at Buffalo. we had to find out how turning the ball over hurts us. see how turning ball over 5 times hurts chance to win.

Mona: depth on offensive line
PJF: it's my responsibility to fix it as we go into the future. lack of depth. have to fix as we go. guys like Dovich, Oseland have to get in there and play. this is part of the journey. we will not allow anything negative to creep into the program. those who stay will be champions. have to learn to fail before you can succeed.

Sid: are you recruiting a JUCO QB?
PJF: we have other needs with our final scholarships - so many needs right now. we will not not be able to solve every issue in one year. take best players available. if it is a JUCO QB, have to have more than 2 years eligibility (remaining).

Sid: Thank you for calling in. you'll do a great job of coaching when you get some players. (my underlining - shorty)
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Thanks SON.

I find the comment about how they needed to be able to throw, but couldn't puzzling. Not that I haven't noticed our passing struggles, but didn't I read on here yesterday that something like 17 of our final 19 plays were runs? Why exactly is our coach not giving our players the chance at least, no matter how unlikely they are to succeed, to do what they would need to do to win the game? Absolutely ridiculous and a big-time black mark for PJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, shorty.

I hope Fleck can grow into a B1G coach.

Based on a rough calculation, going by Fleck's Priniple (Y losses now equals m(X) + b wins in the future), the magnitude of this butt-whooping should be worth roughly 3.5 wins in 2020.

We comin'.

Seems like in a game like yesterday, when we're beat, he just wants to end the game and keep running it rather than turn the ball over (even more) and lose by 63.

It's kind of like when you're getting beat up by your big brother. Eventually you stop fighting so it ends, vs keep fighting so you just get your ass beat more.

Thanks for the report Shorty. Great recap!

Seems like in a game like yesterday, when we're beat, he just wants to end the game and keep running it rather than turn the ball over (even more) and lose by 63.

It's kind of like when you're getting beat up by your big brother. Eventually you stop fighting so it ends, vs keep fighting so you just get your ass beat more.

So, you are saying it is OK to just give up at some point. Do you think PJ picked the appropriate time to do that yesterday?

Thanks for the update SON. Quick question, was a Murray's certificate not given out? You normally note that and I keep track, just making sure I have the current info.

Thanks for the update SON. Quick question, was a Murray's certificate not given out? You normally note that and I keep track, just making sure I have the current info.

Sid did give one, after a lot of prompting, to Glen Mason who was on the phone from Midway Airport in Chicago. They kidded Sid about it but sadly, it took a few moments for Sid to figure out what was going on.

Sid did give one, after a lot of prompting, to Glen Mason who was on the phone from Midway Airport in Chicago. They kidded Sid about it but sadly, it took a few moments for Sid to figure out what was going on.

Thank you. I will update my Excel file.

PJ didn't get one? Sid forgot who the current coach is?
Does Mason still live in Minnesota?

Interesting comment about not letting negativity in and those who stay will be champions. Hmmmm

Thanks SON.

I find the comment about how they needed to be able to throw, but couldn't puzzling. Not that I haven't noticed our passing struggles, but didn't I read on here yesterday that something like 17 of our final 19 plays were runs? Why exactly is our coach not giving our players the chance at least, no matter how unlikely they are to succeed, to do what they would need to do to win the game? Absolutely ridiculous and a big-time black mark for PJ.

Sound to me that the point was Northwestern is very good against the run and we need to be able to throw the ball (early) to compete in this game. Weather conditions, poor execution, wrong personnel were all factors in the inability to be successful in the passing game. When your down 25 points late in the game you have to try to keep the guys you still have healthy. No black mark on PJ, this game got out of hand early in the second half and Joe Montana and Jerry Rice weren't going to solve this problem.

If that is the case, then the entire coaching staff isn't following their HYPRR/RTB Culture, yet they want the players to buy in?

Thanks SON.

I’d argue that breaking off a few long runs was our best and most likely way to get back in the game.

I’d argue that breaking off a few long runs was our best and most likely way to get back in the game.

Yes. Exactly.

And why throw more passes? So the WRs can drop more balls?

And then there's these morons on this board that think they should have put-in Rhoda or Green. Who are they going to throw to? And why would it work for them in crappy weather when they couldn't throw very effectively in perfect weather?

Yes. Exactly.

And why throw more passes? So the WRs can drop more balls?

And then there's these morons on this board that think they should have put-in Rhoda or Green. Who are they going to throw to? And why would it work for them in crappy weather when they couldn't throw very effectively in perfect weather?

What's more moronic, leaving a QB in the game who is injured and isn't able to run effectively or putting in a QB (Green) who has the size and ability to run?

Thanks SON.

One thing to keep in mind: coach probably just got done sitting through staff meeting where they go through and spend 4-5 hours watching film of the game, dissecting every play.

So his comments fresh off of a session like that may not jive too well with what his actual mindset was at that point during the game. Could be dead wrong, but just throwing the idea out there.

What's more moronic, leaving a QB in the game who is injured and isn't able to run effectively or putting in a QB (Green) who has the size and ability to run?

I agree with this, more than the other camp.

If Green is essentially a talented RB in a QB's uniform, well at least the read option we can do both options of it. The read option is what worked so well vs Nebraska.

You could be right. I was going off of what PJ said. Personally, I can't see any way our passing game would have worked yesterday - I also didn't really like throwing in the towel in the 3rd quarter either tho.

I agree with this, more than the other camp.

If Green is essentially a talented RB in a QB's uniform, well at least the read option we can do both options of it. The read option is what worked so well vs Nebraska.

I watched Green play 10+ times at East Ridge. He’s mobile and fairly athletic, but no one will ever call him a talented runner.

Throwing balls that bounce off of our receivers hands is not elite.

To keep trying only for the same thing is not elite.

Just get the season over with and wait until next year when we have someone who can catch again.

Go Shorty, it’s your birthday! [emoji1303]

Encouraging note" PJ says he wishes he did have a big passing potential. We never had any sense of that the past 7 years, though Mitch had some really good days and was about 56% career. In the B1G you have to run and stop the run, but - like Wisconsin and Iowa over the years - you have to be able to pass, too. Maybe in a year or so, we will.

Encouraging note" PJ says he wishes he did have a big passing potential. We never had any sense of that the past 7 years, though Mitch had some really good days and was about 56% career. In the B1G you have to run and stop the run, but - like Wisconsin and Iowa over the years - you have to be able to pass, too. Maybe in a year or so, we will.

It's nice to know it's at least part of the plan.

Whether the plan happens.

First year... still need to be patient.

So now we celebrate that our head coach <b>wants</b> a good passing game? Awesome. The bar is really low I guess.

Being an old construction guy who has battled the elements for 30+ years, as soon as I saw the video of how PJ and Fitzgerald were dressed I knew we were screwed. Coach F was dressed like he was going to war in a cold, wet environment which is what it was. PJ looked like he was trying to withstand a sunshower at the Hamptons. It's tough to think logically for your team when you are fighting to stay alive. Live and learn PJ. This one was a failure.

Top Bottom