Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield emphatically grabs his crotch at KU after handshake snub

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This is gonna be Johnny Football all over again...heck of a player though

I'm sure NFL teams are salivating over his maturity.

Why would Kansas players taunt anyone, let alone Baker Mayfield?

It's not ok, but probably overblown. Emotions can run hot. Woody Hayes punching a Clemson player after an interception was probably worse, and he's an icon.

Did something happen last year? Mayfield has shown to have a bit of turd in him, but he offered a pregame handshake and got snubbed. Two wrong don't make a right, but he didn't start it.

This is the same guy that got tackled by the cop? Yeah, I'm sure NFL teams are going to be questioning him hard about maturity.

Go Gophers!!

Slap on the wrist ... which is fine for this kind of thing.

Zero chance that he would be held out at the cost of OU not going to the CFP. That's laughable.

I'm usually more conservative and look down on poor sportsmanship but I don't really have a problem with anything Mayfield did. He offered a handshake and if the worst thing he did during the game was grab is midsection, swear at the defense, and tell the fans to start cheering on the basketball team I think the situation was overblown. Kansas started it and he finished it in my opinion.

I'm usually more conservative and look down on poor sportsmanship but I don't really have a problem with anything Mayfield did. He offered a handshake and if the worst thing he did during the game was grab is midsection, swear at the defense, and tell the fans to start cheering on the basketball team I think the situation was overblown. Kansas started it and he finished it in my opinion.

Didn't see the whole thing so maybe there was more of a snub but on the video clip above he offers a handshake to a guy that is clearly looking at the ground so there is a chance he didn't see it. But I don't know what happened before or after the toss because usually teams shake hands right away and also after the ref completes the toss and lines the captains up on their respective sides.

The crotch grab was stupid and OU's response to it is fine by having him sit a little but not for the whole game. Mayfield has to learn to keep his emotions in check in that case but all in all this is a very minor incident.

I can’t believe how the media is all over Mayfield yet giving the classless KU players a pass for not shaking hands pregame. What a bunch of tools, they got what they deserved and it could have been worse in my opinion.

Other than the crotch grab, nothing really bothers me about what Mayfield did.

KU captains not shaking hands is the dumbest thing I've heard of...

Other than the crotch grab, nothing really bothers me about what Mayfield did.

KU captains not shaking hands is the dumbest thing I've heard of...

+1. At the end of the crotch grab video, the announcer says "...and this is not what we want in college football as fans." Bull. ESPN was all over those antics and plastered them all over their websites, cut special highlight packages of them, and basically loves this stuff in their era of declining ratings.

This is gonna be Johnny Football all over again...heck of a player though

Not necessarily. There's a couple kinds of turds. The ones who work their tail off and are outspoken in ways the mainstream doesn't approve of, and the ones who slack off and coast on talent until that doesn't get them by anymore. I don't really know which Mayfield is.

Terrell Owens is an example of the former. He was considered difficult, surly, and a coaches problem, but he was also a big producer, legendarily hard worker, and kept himself in impeccable shape. Guys like him are what the NFL secretly loves (maybe not the coaches but the league and team owners who sell tickets do). If Mayfield has the skills and works his tail off, he can get away with the controversy.

Johnny Football was the latter. He was already kind of meh as an NFL talent, then he didn't work hard or take care of his body either. Then he didn't produce much. Once he started acting out the leash was very short.

Not necessarily. There's a couple kinds of turds. The ones who work their tail off and are outspoken in ways the mainstream doesn't approve of, and the ones who slack off and coast on talent until that doesn't get them by anymore. I don't really know which Mayfield is.

Terrell Owens is an example of the former. He was considered difficult, surly, and a coaches problem, but he was also a big producer, legendarily hard worker, and kept himself in impeccable shape. Guys like him are what the NFL secretly loves (maybe not the teams but the league itself). If Mayfield has the skills and works his tail off, he can get away with the controversy.

Johnny Football was the latter. He was already kind of meh as an NFL talent, then he didn't work hard or take care of his body either. Then he didn't produce much. Once he started acting out the leash was very short.

I agree. Baker Mayfield's story is pretty incredible. He has twice been a walk on and twice became starting QB. I am guessing the dude works his butt off and has incredible confidence. I personally love watching him play.

Top Bottom