Ryan Burns: Three things we learned from the Gophers 39-0 road loss to NW

"The biggest question I have about the offensive game plan was where was the read option?"

That about sums it up, an offense that consists of 80% runs up the middle is destined for failure.

You can't run read option when the team sends two off the edge every play.

Then run off the other edge. Duh.
If you could see NW sending two off the edge on your TV, why the he!! can't our O coordinator see it and call plays to texpose that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then run off the other edge. Duh.
If you could see NW sending two off the edge on your TV, why the he!! can't our O coordinator see it and call plays to texpose that?

That's not how it works............

The team doesn't even run RPO anymore because they don't trust the quarterbacks or the receivers.

That's not how it works............

The team doesn't even run RPO anymore because they don't trust the quarterbacks or the receivers.

Really? I thought they weren't going to change their system.
Regardless of what they are calling, as I said, if you could see NW sending two off the edge why can't our O coordinator see it and run some plays the take advantage of that. You know like a counter

Regardless of what they are calling, as I said, if you could see NW sending two off the edge why can't our O coordinator see it and run some plays the take advantage of that. You know like a counter

Our play calling has been suspect all year. When their plan doesn't work they have nothing else - they just keep doing the same thing over and over and over and over. Sad.

Yup. Waiting for an answer from Johnny here and in the other thread that mentioned it.

Yup. Waiting for an answer from Johnny here and in the other thread that mentioned it.

To give it to the running back and hope your tackle can block the defensive lineman, which he failed at. Not too many other options if you can't run the RPO screen.

Holy crap, I actually agree with JB.

Northwestern took away the read option. The only adjustments that could be made with that particular play are to either run up the middle (we did) or run a PA pass (which we can't).

Northwestern took away the read option. The only adjustments that could be made with that particular play are to either run up the middle (we did) or run a PA pass (which we can't).

That was to be expected. Northwestern is #7 in the nation in rush defense. No way was the read option going to work consistently today. It was clear this game would be more likely to look like the Michigan game than the Nebby game, and that’s exactly what happened.

I know what it is. They purposely got shellacked to lull Wisconsin into tranquility.

That was to be expected. Northwestern is #7 in the nation in rush defense. No way was the read option going to work consistently today. It was clear this game would be more likely to look like the Michigan game than the Nebby game, and that’s exactly what happened.

This is it right here. Our OL really struggled with Northwestern’s DL all game long. #1 was in our backfield as much as Smith was today. Penetration kills inside zone. Northwestern knew that we cannot throw the ball. You can’t be one dimensional in college football unless you are just hands down better than your opponent or you are a true triple option team. We are not better than Northwestern in the trenches. We were better than Nebraska but not today. It’s not hard to see.

This is it right here. Our OL really struggled with Northwestern’s DL all game long. #1 was in our backfield as much as Smith was today. Penetration kills inside zone. Northwestern knew that we cannot throw the ball. You can’t be one dimensional in college football unless you are just hands down better than your opponent or you are a true triple option team. We are not better than Northwestern in the trenches. We were better than Nebraska but not today. It’s not hard to see.

If zone runs don't work, then it's time to pull the guards around the center or pull wide on a sweep. Try something, at least.

The only thing that was mentioned in another thread is that Fleck said Croft was injured today and so they wouldn't let him keep the ball.

Top Bottom