Will the Gophers win another Big Ten football title in your lifetime?

Will the Gophers win another Big Ten football title in your lifetime?

• Yes

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 40 50.6%

• Total voters

I think your question is open to interpretation. “Win another Big Ten title in your lifetime”? Since 89.3% of people on gopher hole we’re not alive for the last title it would be impossible to win another in their lifetime.

But to answer your question.... Yes. Any other answer would mean I wasted 50 years believing.

I think your question is open to interpretation. “Win another Big Ten title in your lifetime”? Since 89.3% of people on gopher hole we’re not alive for the last title it would be impossible to win another in their lifetime.

But to answer your question.... Yes. Any other answer would mean I wasted 50 years believing.

The Gophers have won big ten championships before. So regardless of when you were born, we would be winning another one.

I wasn't alive when the Twins won the World Series (I was born in 92), but I hope they win another one during my lifetime.

Your statement of not being alive for the Twins 92 championship is a prime example of why Minnesota sports fans are the most beleaguered.

No championships for:
Gophers football (since 61)
Vikings
Wild
Northstars
Timberwolves
Twins (since 92)

It is tough being a Minnesota sports fan.

Your statement of not being alive for the Twins 92 championship is a prime example of why Minnesota sports fans are the most beleaguered.

No championships for:
Gophers football (since 61)
Vikings
Wild
Northstars
Timberwolves
Twins (since 92)

It is tough being a Minnesota sports fan.

Twins won last World Series in 91. But point we’ll taken it is very tough. We are due. Gopher basketball has a shot at a big ten title this year. Long shot with mich state so good but a chance.

I cannot foresee it at this time. Time, of course, will tell.

Let's see: medical scientists say the human body hits the wall at 114 in terms of extreme longevity. That means no.

The Gophers haven’t won a Big Ten Title in my lifetime thus far and likely won’t ever. I’m not happy about this situation, but can accept it. The closest we’ve come in my 46 years was 2003. We have honestly not come close in any other season. Now we’d not only have to win our division, but the win the Big Ten Championship Game. From a recent history, attendance, facilities, and atmosphere standpoint we are perpetually running behind. I just don’t see it. My best hope is we can sneak into the Rose Bowl some year when the Big Ten Champ and perhaps even the runner up make the CFP.

The Gophers haven’t won a Big Ten Title in my lifetime thus far and likely won’t ever. I’m not happy about this situation, but can accept it. The closest we’ve come in my 46 years was 2003. We have honestly not come close in any other season.

We were an OT loss to Wisky away from a trip to Pasadena in 1999.

The Gophers have won big ten championships before. So regardless of when you were born, we would be winning another one.

I wasn't alive when the Twins won the World Series (I was born in 92), but I hope they win another one during my lifetime.
Is your birthday in July? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Lynx won four championships in seven years.

The women's hockey team won how many championships?

We were an OT loss to Wisky away from a trip to Pasadena in 1999.

Fair enough. We have been close twice in my 46 years. I won’t discount that. It doesn’t change my opinion that the barriers to us winning the conference remain daunting and history is against us.

Lynx championships? Women’s hockey?

Is this how far we have fallen? If you must grasp at straws reference the Minneapolis Lakers or Vern Gagne.

see another? I'm 47 and I've never seen one; hell THIRD IS THE BEST WE'VE DONE IN MY LIFETIME!! (3 times; 2 of the 3 happened when I was still worried about girl germs '73 and '76)

If I am lucky I might live another 45 years or more, but m money is on no title before I take the dirt nap. A West title maybe, and we were a 2nd half or two meltdowns from that very recently, but I have no reason to expect anything to change, especially if we have to face teams resources and priorities aligned with winning football like Ohio State, Mich, and PSU.

I would be content on beating Wisc once every 5 years at this point

see another? I'm 47 and I've never seen one; hell THIRD IS THE BEST WE'VE DONE IN MY LIFETIME!! (3 times; 2 of the 3 happened when I was still worried about girl germs '73 and '76)

You're not still worried about girl germs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thing is simply this: if Wisconsin and Iowa are physically capable of winning the Big Ten, then Minnesota must be physically capable of doing it too.

Laws of physics simply dictate that it must be possible.

My thing is simply this: if Wisconsin and Iowa are physically capable of winning the Big Ten, then Minnesota must be physically capable of doing it too.

Laws of physics simply dictate that it must be possible.

Winning the lottery is possible too.

We were one half away from getting the right to get blown out by Ohio State in the championship game. I clicked no but thinking about it I think the odds for everything to go right is possible but then again we are Gopher fans.

Two separate arguments here>

1. Are the Gophers potentially capable of winning a conference championship? Yes, they are.

2. Will they win a championship? Sorry, have to say no. No conference title for 50 years? can't be all bad luck. There has to be a reason, or multiple reasons why this program doesn't contend. I would say some of those reasons may involve administrative support, support by the fan base, support by the boosters, and support by the larger university community, including the faculty. In short, I suspect there are people at the U of M who don't care about the FB team, and I suspect there are people at the U of M who, for their own reasons, do not want to see the U become a "football school," and are working behind the scenes to prevent that from happening.

So, if push comes to shove, I will say the Gophers do not win a conference title in my lifetime. I'm 62 - but there is a lot of longevity on my Mom's side of the family. Multiple relatives lived to be 90 or older. Mom is 91 and still driving. (and driving her kids crazy, but that's a different matter)

I've got around forty years to live, and football will be banned before I kick the bucket. The Gophers won't win the Big 10 before the ban, but we should win the West in the next five or ten years. We've been really close to winning the division several times recently.

and I suspect there are people at the U of M who, for their own reasons, do not want to see the U become a "football school," and are working behind the scenes to prevent that from happening.

This is easy to say, but how could it actually be accomplished when you've got an administration that greenlights: a new stadium, new practice faculties, tens of millions for football yearly operations, and millions of dollars for coaching and support staff?

The only thing I can think of is if they work behind the backs of coaches to persuade (or pay off, if you want to go really "black ops" style) potential recruits to NOT come here, or persuade (or pay off) current players to throw the game. I think both are farfetched.

I suppose you could argue on the faculty side that they make it really hard for football players to get passing grades. But given how good our APR is, I think we can dismiss that as well.

It's coaching, guys. That's just the fact of it, that can't be bypassed, hand-waived, or negotiated with. You have to hit the coaching lottery.

Iowa hit the coaching lottery with Hayden Fry. He hired Ferentz and installed him as the new head coach too. So Iowa has been the Fry program since the 80's.

Wisconsin hit the coaching lottery with Barry Alvarez. Wisc has been the Alvarez program since the 90's.

We have not hit the coaching lottery. At least not in some time. One could probably argue that if Mason had just been left to do his thing all this time ... well maybe we don't want to go there. But anyway, you look at schools like Illinois, Purdue, Indiana. And yes, Minnesota.

ANY of them are perfectly capable of doing what Iowa or Wisconsin have done. It isn't magic. It's landing the perfect head coach, and then hanging onto him!

I'm 36. As the current system is constructed - Yes, I do. I think that while things fluctuate, the Big Ten West will be generally weaker than the East in most years. In the last 3 years a couple of A-/B+ teams from Iowa and Wisconsin have run the table. In the geological time of college football (40-50 years) it's highly likely the Gophers will at least accident upon a season like this playing in the West. It's notable they haven't had a lucky season in the recent past when most of even the lowest doormats like Rutgers and Kansas have.

I also think that with the stadium and new facilities - which should outlast me - Minnesota doesn't have any major structural deficits to their West division rivals. The small disadvantages are balanced by some small advantages.

If the Gophers can win the West at least 6 times in the next 40ish years - just their share from random chance - the odds would say they should win the title game at least a couple times.

Sadly I'd be happy if they just beat Wisconsin before I die. But no, the Gophers have not won a title since I've been alive I don't think they'll win one before I die. BUT......I do think they can win the West more than once, which technically gives them a puncher's chance of winning a Big10 Title so there is actually some hope. Way better chance of a Big10 title with the E-W Division set-up than without.

Who are the Lynx?

It's coaching, guys. That's just the fact of it, that can't be bypassed, hand-waived, or negotiated with. You have to hit the coaching lottery.

Iowa hit the coaching lottery with Hayden Fry. He hired Ferentz and installed him as the new head coach too. So Iowa has been the Fry program since the 80's.

Wisconsin hit the coaching lottery with Barry Alvarez. Wisc has been the Alvarez program since the 90's.

We have not hit the coaching lottery. At least not in some time. One could probably argue that if Mason had just been left to do his thing all this time ... well maybe we don't want to go there. But anyway, you look at schools like Illinois, Purdue, Indiana. And yes, Minnesota.

ANY of them are perfectly capable of doing what Iowa or Wisconsin have done. It isn't magic. It's landing the perfect head coach, and then hanging onto him!

People want to overcomplicate things, but this is more or less it. It really is as simple as finding a great coach, and giving him the resources he needs to both be competitive and to make him want to stay. We've had one great coach in the last 50 years, and he sprinted out of town after two years. That's the reason for the title drought. We won't do it again until we have another great coach.

Fleck has the potential to be that next great coach, but it's too early to say either way.

Top Bottom