Fan Base

We need more fans that support and speak positively about the team to neighbors, friends, etc. to get the ball rolling here. When trying to fill a stadium, it’s best if the hardcore fans are all on board, if you can’t even get the die-hards on board, how can we expect to get the casual fan interested?

Sometimes I get the sense the fan base and media up there are as demanding as that of a top program, without all the benefits a fan base and media of a top program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I can only speak for myself. I am very supportive of the program, but I have concerns. There hasn't been a season in 20 plus years that I haven't given away multiple tickets to entice fans to attend games. The team has to help by either creating an atmosphere that encourages them to comeback on their own or improve the on field product and entice those who love to follow winners.

The players themselves seem to be busting their rear ends on the field and in the classroom. IMHO the student athletes are doing all that they can. I am proud that they chose the University of Minnesota. My hope is that Coyle, and the administration all the way up to the regents will offer even more support to build this program back up from the ashes.

IMO the Athletics Department is not so great at recognizing things that aren't working. Now I haven't been to many games this year, but the area in front of marriucci has never done well, and they won't give up on it. I personally think its a location thing. Think of where people are coming from. Most ramps are on the other side of University Ave, some people take the light rail, etc. It should be in McNamara plaza, as that is much more central to where non-tailgaters spend their time before the game. It should also feel more like a tailgate. I think they did a great job bringing in some food-trucks, but it could still improve.

Ticket prices and/or concession prices need to come down. The consistent success isn't there to match our ticket prices, and the concession (while not the worst I've seen) aren't anything special.

I think they are trending in the right direction by asking the fans what they want to see, and creating that fan committee thing, but they need to move faster.

IMO the Athletics Department is not so great at recognizing things that aren't working. Now I haven't been to many games this year, but the area in front of marriucci has never done well, and they won't give up on it. I personally think its a location thing. Think of where people are coming from. Most ramps are on the other side of University Ave, some people take the light rail, etc. It should be in McNamara plaza, as that is much more central to where non-tailgaters spend their time before the game. It should also feel more like a tailgate. I think they did a great job bringing in some food-trucks, but it could still improve.

Ticket prices and/or concession prices need to come down. The consistent success isn't there to match our ticket prices, and the concession (while not the worst I've seen) aren't anything special.

I think they are trending in the right direction by asking the fans what they want to see, and creating that fan committee thing, but they need to move faster.

I agree, light rail, buses all drop off on the east end of the stadium. However, when was the last time we played a truly meaningful home game? A game where both teams are playing for potential to stay in conference race? It would be nice to have a home game that means more than winning a trophy/rivalry game. When that happens, the atmosphere will change for the better.

I did the pregame tailgate with my son at Mariucci for the Maryland game. Beautiful day and no one was there.

The team needs to get off to a 6-0 or 6-1 start one of these years to get some attractive games.

How cool would it be to be 8-0 and host and 8-0 Penn State team in 2019? It's been awhile.

Next year maybe we're 4-0 and Iowa is 4-0 coming off a win over Wisconsin for our Homecoming game. That would build some interest.

I agree, light rail, buses all drop off on the east end of the stadium. However, when was the last time we played a truly meaningful home game? A game where both teams are playing for potential to stay in conference race? It would be nice to have a home game that means more than winning a trophy/rivalry game. When that happens, the atmosphere will change for the better.

I did the pregame tailgate with my son at Mariucci for the Maryland game. Beautiful day and no one was there.

The team needs to get off to a 6-0 or 6-1 start one of these years to get some attractive games.

How cool would it be to be 8-0 and host and 8-0 Penn State team in 2019? It's been awhile.

Next year maybe we're 4-0 and Iowa is 4-0 coming off a win over Wisconsin for our Homecoming game. That would build some interest.

There's no question consistent elevated (8-10 regular season) winning will cure a lot of it. Based on what Fleck's been saying, there's no chance of that starting in the next several years.

There's no question consistent elevated (8-10 regular season) winning will cure a lot of it. Based on what Fleck's been saying, there's no chance of that starting in the next several years.

Winning isn't the cure all, and losing isn't the sole cause. Northwestern has had one of their best seasons in recent memory and they could hardly pull any fans for our game. Illinois on the otherhand has been pretty bad in recent years, and they had one of the best gameday atmospheres I have experienced when I went to the game there last year. The University can certainly cure at least half of these problems themselves, regardless of how the football team does.

Winning isn't the cure all, and losing isn't the sole cause. Northwestern has had one of their best seasons in recent memory and they could hardly pull any fans for our game. Illinois on the otherhand has been pretty bad in recent years, and they had one of the best gameday atmospheres I have experienced when I went to the game there last year. The University can certainly cure at least half of these problems themselves, regardless of how the football team does.
https://youtu.be/-sgG88Ylp2k

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom