Fan Base

GopherFanatic19

Reaction score
Over the last couple weeks this forum has been entertaining after Gopher Games. Some people just need to relax and let the process work out. I find it absolutely insane that some Fans are saying to fire Fleck after 11 games or if Fleck has lost the team. Some others will get mad at Flecks post game comments.

Saban himself couldn't come in here and go 11-0 with this team. Let Fleck work his players in, support the team good or bad, and things will work out. I do appreciate the laughs on some of the end of world Gopher Football posts.

Sitting next to Wisconson football and basketball has definitely made me want to give this culture thing a try I'll say that for sure.

We seemed to be repeating the same over and over - nice to try something different.

Mason mentioned it in his podcast, and others (the smart ones) have mentioned it here from time to time. We keep on setting ourselves back every time we get a new coach. Unless we were to bring in a legit big time coach that would recruit himself like a Saban, a Meyer, a top five dude, we will probably get roughly the same kind of recruits we always get. Fleck may get a few better players-and I think he willl- but where we fail where our rivals succeed is longevity of the system, or maintaining the same culture. Fleck says it and sounds stupid but it’s 100% true. We need to build a culture and sustain it with little to no coaching movement over the course of ten plus years to begin to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin year in and out. We need to pick a dude and frickin stay with him, this merry go round BS ain’t workin, I don’t understand what folks here get out of bashing the coach, it’s self-destructive, counterproductive, and at the end of the day not fun to read. It’s gotten so bad it’s almost not worth coming here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason mentioned it in his podcast, and others (the smart ones) have mentioned it here from time to time. We keep on setting ourselves back every time we get a new coach. Unless we were to bring in a legit big time coach that would recruit himself like a Saban, a Meyer, a top five dude, we will probably get roughly the same kind of recruits we always get. Fleck may get a few better players-and I think he willl- but where we fail where our rivals succeed is longevity of the system, or maintaining the same culture. Fleck says it and sounds stupid but it’s 100% true. We need to build a culture and sustain it with little to no coaching movement over the course of ten plus years to begin to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin year in and out. We need to pick a dude and frickin stay with him, this merry go round BS ain’t workin, I don’t understand what folks here get out of bashing the coach, it’s self-destructive, counterproductive, and at the end of the day not fun to read. It’s gotten so bad it’s almost not worth coming here anymore.

Agreed. These PJF haters remind me of the Pitino haters a few years ago. He can't coach , recruit or win. They were called out this week on the BB forum and the response was crickets. I do not know for certainty PJF will be successful but I believe he needs the time and support to see where he can take this program. He gets paid a lot so should expect some criticism but the degree to which some " fans " take this is amazing to me. Go Gophers !

Over the last couple weeks this forum has been entertaining after Gopher Games. Some people just need to relax and let the process work out. I find it absolutely insane that some Fans are saying to fire Fleck after 11 games or if Fleck has lost the team. Some others will get mad at Flecks post game comments.

Saban himself couldn't come in here and go 11-0 with this team. Let Fleck work his players in, support the team good or bad, and things will work out. I do appreciate the laughs on some of the end of world Gopher Football posts.

This forum has been entertaining for more than a couple weeks, more like decades.

PJ is going to get time, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass now when the team plays bad and there are questionable coaching decisions.
Today was not a good day. It started with the horrible draw play call on 2nd and short in NU territory and went downhill from there. The D couldn't stop them from moving the ball into the wind and the Off couldn't get points in the board when we had the wind in the first. Then in quarter 2 we couldn't move the ball into the wind and NU dominated as well as got some key TO's.
our play calling has been suspect from game 1. People on here say Nick Saban couldn't coach this team to great success, but I'd also say you couldn't bring the Ohio State offensive team here and gave much success either because the play calling is just that bad. Same goes for the D.

Kill was the closest thing we've had to a Barry Alvarez culture maker and this school treated him like sh!t. People around the cities don't want the effort of hard blue collar work. They want a slick, white collar salesman to blow smoke up their @$$. How's that smoke been working out for the past 50 years?

Gopherhole after losses is completely irrational. Fleck inherited a very limited and thin roster with no competent qb. He needs a few years of his own recruiting classes and he will start to win big here.

This forum has been entertaining for more than a couple weeks, more like decades.

PJ is going to get time, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass now when the team plays bad and there are questionable coaching decisions.
Today was not a good day. It started with the horrible draw play call on 2nd and short in NU territory and went downhill from there. The D couldn't stop them from moving the ball into the wind and the Off couldn't get points in the board when we had the wind in the first. Then in quarter 2 we couldn't move the ball into the wind and NU dominated as well as got some key TO's.
our play calling has been suspect from game 1. People on here say Nick Saban couldn't coach this team to great success, but I'd also say you couldn't bring the Ohio State offensive team here and gave much success either because the play calling is just that bad. Same goes for the D.

Yeah can't imagine the offense would look much better with JT Barrett and receivers than can catch the ball.

Kill was the closest thing we've had to a Barry Alvarez culture maker and this school treated him like sh!t. People around the cities don't want the effort of hard blue collar work. They want a slick, white collar salesman to blow smoke up their @$$. How's that smoke been working out for the past 50 years?
How did the school treat kill like sh!t?

Northwestern had 4 TD drives of 36 yards, 15 yards, 27 yards, and 24 yards thanks to the turnovers. That's all on the defense though right?

The play calling is bad because what plays are you going to call when your line can't block anyone, your receiver's can't catch, and you have a bad QB? Amazing how much of a better play caller Ciarrocca was at Western Michigan when they had NFL caliber offensive lineman, WRs, and a solid QB.

That's fine. Paint yourself as the rational fan. Regardless, nothing about today was acceptable.

So Kill not taking care of his own health problems is now the schools fault?

I agree. Just look at the SEC. Almost half their teams are in complete disarry becaue they keep firing coaches in the hopes of hiring the next Saban.

Firing our AD or coach anytime in the near future would be idiotic.

Have you ever read about all the extra stuff they piled on his plate because Megatongue was too busy posting text messages? The president and ad were fools - still are.

Wow man...you're negative as hell. Yep we should get rid of PJ and then have 4 coaches in 4 years. Keep resetting the system...Yep that's the answer. And how would the great Jerry Kill (who cried his eyes out on national television) do any better with this team...? We listened to his excuses on why he was done coaching...and what is he doing now..? He's COACHING!!!!!

Can you find examples of coaches that were not successful (and this definition importantly will vary between fans) after 4 years but became relevant after 8-10?

Some coaches just don't have "it" and that seems to usually be evident by season 3,4, or 5. I am willing to entertain examples of OTJ coaches.

Can you find examples of coaches that were not successful (and this definition importantly will vary between fans) after 4 years but became relevant after 8-10?

Some coaches just don't have "it" and that seems to usually be evident by season 3,4, or 5. I am willing to entertain examples of OTJ coaches.

Frank Beamer is probably the best example, but you're right - most of the time you know if a coach has "it" by year four

When he could not complete his contract because he was physically unable to perform and quit, we didn’t make him vice provost for entitlement. If a kid playing for him could not tackle, he would have pulled his scholly in a heartbeat.

Have you ever read about all the extra stuff they piled on his plate because Megatongue was too busy posting text messages? The president and ad were fools - still are.

I am a Kill fan, but most/all of that stuff was exaggerated or flat-out made-up. Every Power 5 head coach does fundraising. Every Power 5 head coach has media responsibilities. Every Power 5 head coach has volunteerism and community initiatives.

The strangest thing about this forum recently is the large amount of fans that seem to believe in the boogeyman. You're confusing any criticism of Fleck or the coaching with a desire to fire Fleck. A lot of people on here are also confusing any defense of Kill/Claeys with hatred for Fleck. It's bizarre.

This forum is incredibly positive considering we just got done watching ass kicking against a team we beat last year.

But keep telling yourself that everyone is calling for PJ's head.

I am a Kill fan, but most/all of that stuff was exaggerated or flat-out made-up. Every Power 5 head coach does fundraising. Every Power 5 head coach has media responsibilities. Every Power 5 head coach has volunteerism and community initiatives.

I agree that it was a bit overdone, but every Power 5 coach also has an AD to help triage those responsibilities.

When he could not complete his contract because he was physically unable to perform and quit, we didn’t make him vice provost for entitlement. If a kid playing for him could not tackle, he would have pulled his scholly in a heartbeat.

Love the fake title, and you're exactly right. He wanted to be paid a lot for essentially doing nothing, mostly so he could keep University health insurance.

Most head coaches have ADs and Presidents that back them up. We've seen how that played out.
We will now see how it plays out with Fleck. I hope he's a loyalist, building for the long term. I don't know that, however.

The strangest thing about this forum recently is the large amount of fans that seem to believe in the boogeyman. You're confusing any criticism of Fleck or the coaching with a desire to fire Fleck. A lot of people on here are also confusing any defense of Kill/Claeys with hatred for Fleck. It's bizarre.

This forum is incredibly positive considering we just got done watching ass kicking against a team we beat last year.

But keep telling yourself that everyone is calling for PJ's head.
Excellent post.

The fan base will shrink. Michigan State had as big a scandal as Minnesota, but they didn't dump Dantonio. The Kill/Claeys regime was a multi-year buildup of a football system and Claeys should have been given a few more years to see if he could turn the corner. If not, it would have been a decade or so attempt and hiring a new coach would have made some sense. Fleck was hired on the basis of one really good year in the MAC and has shown nothing this year to suggest he's a better coach than Jerry Kill or Tracy Claeys. He beat the worst teams on his schedule, upset one of the three at our level and lost to the better teams (one more of those should be added next Saturday). He messed around with QBs, never developed a passing attack and recruiting is still a question mark. Beyond that, the Gophers have to compete with their own basketball team, which now starts about a month earlier than it used to, and with the Timberwolves, Sept-October baseball, pro hockey. It's a tough row to hoe.

We will rue the day we lost Tracy to , um the P5 school that hires him someday, but probably not.

Top Bottom